Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Is anyone else a bit let down by the fact that the MPBS Britcoms are down to two thirty minute shows? And no Red Green? I thought that the Saturday night movie thing was only for the month of October. Its still going. I'm thinking that I might swing my fixed Ku dish from 125 to 87. Louisiana PBS seems to have better programming in general. At least for the type of shows I like to watch.

Thoughts? Comments?

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Is anyone else a bit let down by the fact that the MPBS Britcoms are down to two thirty minute shows? And no Red Green? I thought that the Saturday night movie thing was only for the month of October. Its still going. I'm thinking that I might swing my fixed Ku dish from 125 to 87. Louisiana PBS seems to have better programming in general. At least for the type of shows I like to watch.
Thoughts? Comments?
If you can motorize your dish, Last Of The Summer Wine and Red Green are on 125W (OETA OKLA) on weekdays, then watch LBP on Saturdays for the extra British comedies.:)

You know there are people that watch TV spoken in a different language so it makes it easier to learn that language. Well, I watch British TV so I can better understand my soon to be Scottish son-n-law. Matter of fact I have to translate for my wife.

I'm an original Monty Python's fanatic.........It is what we discussed on Monday mornings in high school.

Reactions: Dee_Ann and FTA4PA
You know there are people that watch TV spoken in a different language so it makes it easier to learn that language. Well, I watch British TV so I can better understand my soon to be Scottish son-n-law. Matter of fact I have to translate for my wife.

I'm an original Monty Python's fanatic.........It is what we discussed on Monday mornings in high school.

I find proper Queen's English quite easy to understand. My grandparents where I spent about half of my younger years and mainly my grandmother were Subjects of the Crown, Scottish from the Cayman islands and they had THICK accents. Most people couldn't understand them and when I was little I would have to translate for my grandma a lot, people would ask me what it was she was saying. LOL! She was speaking ENGLISH!
Scottish is really easy for me because it sounds similar to Cayman. I find I can more easily fall into a Scottish accent than I can a British one.

But there are some dialects of Scottish from the country folks that will leave you scratching your head.

If you want to listen to someone speaking what I would call proper Scottish (or the most common) watch the late late show with Craig Ferguson.

And this woman, I am in complete AWE of her skills !!

Last edited:
Reactions: ray224000
I just get a kick watching my wife trying to understand; he has a hard Scottish dialect. Picture dog tilting head.

I liked the one karen gilliam in it she is not bad looking.

She played Amy Pond in Doctor Who and was in some Scifi movie recently.
That little clip of her speaking, that was tough for me to follow. But she was pouring it on extra thick just for messing with people. That's not how she normally speaks.
I know there are people that do talk that way but I've not come across it much at all.

I just get a kick watching my wife trying to understand; he has a hard Scottish dialect. Picture dog tilting head.

I rarely have trouble with UK dialects, accents and colloquials but there are some that I just can't get at all.
I suppose if I spent a few days there I would get it, I'm quick to pick up and adjust to different accents.

Dee_Ann.......I've spent a lot of time with him which has helped me understand him....I have met some of his friends which they seem to have a thicker accent....Scottish definitely harder to pickup than any UK dialect. That is my opinion!

I seen her on doctor who she was not bad and you are right dee she doesn't talk like that. She does have a accent.

welsh writing looks like a stuck keyboard

Last of the summer wine is back to the beginning on OETA Tue-Fri, 2 episodes/night 6pm eastern. catch all 295(!) episodes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts