Easy but reliable way to use 2 receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Hey all,

I may be getting permission (finally) to put my dish on the roof of my apt to get 125w. I'd like to use both a receiver and a dvb-s2 card, which may be a bit more than I can chew for a noob.

I have a 1m muzak dish with the original feed and single-polarity, single-output lnb. I can't seem to find and standard dual-output lnb's, only lnbf's or universal lnb's (c-120 flange). Would it be better to use a standard lnbf and take a little signal loss, or use the universal dual-output and tell the receivers to keep 22khz on and adjust the LO setting?

I also have a third option, which is to use my single-output c-120 lnb and attempt a high frequency splitter, but I know people here aren't fans of splitters.

And since everyone loves pictures, here's the original lnb and feed. I might have also found a free ku ortho off of a hughes dish, but I don't want to make it too complicated too quickly.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1414100958.852121.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1414101109.716779.jpg

since it is a single polarity you will only get one polarity (vertical would be better) in which case yes you can use a high frequency (950-2150) splitter and have no issues.
I you want both polarities you would need a dual polarity dual output LNB (or something to bolt to it)

I also have a third option, which is to use my single-output c-120 lnb and attempt a high frequency splitter, but I know people here aren't fans of splitters.
As long as you dont try to put each receiver on an opposite polarity (like one on H and one on V) you can use a splitter just fine.

Doesn't matter if the receivers are opposite polarities with a single polarity output LNB. It will only give one polarity output and does not switch with STB voltage control. Keep in mind that a LNB will have better performance if powered with 18Vdc.

I grafted a LNBF onto my Muzak dish feedhorn. Sawed off the scalar and used silicon to attach to the flange. Found the performance to be better than using the LNBF with the stock scalar. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/ku-lnbf-graft-onto-prodelin-1m-feedhorn.339849/

I'm not sure I want to modify too much since this is my first attempt at putting up a dish. I'll have fairly limited access to the roof (if they do end up allowing me to have it). I have a feeling I'll try either the all original equipment (single-output Norsat LNB, feed, plus splitter) or buy an SL2PLL and put it on. If I could find a standard dual-output LNB with C-120 flange I'd grab it in a heartbeat, but everything I've found is from Europe and pretty expensive including shipping. I'll probably hold off on the hacking until I have unfettered access to my dish (or two or three or...)

If I stick with the single-polarity Norsat, I'll just tell the receiver that it's H to get the 18v out, then turn it until the skew is "right". From what I've read here, an ortho if I attempted it would want 18v to both LNBs, and I don't want to mess around with power inserters or modified switches on my first install.

If possible you may want to set up some kind of temporary ground mount,so you can do your fiddling/twiddling and tweaking,before you drag everything up on the roof.So you know it works before you haul it up there.

Kitty I also meant to say was I used a dn super dish lnb that bolts up just fine and would work great for your dish.

Attachments

• 20141024_071222.jpg
    20141024_071222.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 193
That looks a lot like the LNB I have from my WorldDirect dish. It seems to be both polarities, and would probably be the easiest to set up. Still I'd like to use both a receiver and my computer, and mine is only a single output. Here's absolutely everything I have to date:

lnb collection.jpg

Top left: feed to match the 1M dish, and a single-output, single-polarity LNB
Bottom left: feed to match the WorldDirect dish, and a single-output, dual-polarity LNB
Right: Ku OMT, single polarity LNB, and a disc used to connect the transmit unit to the OMT (also can accept the other LNB). When attached, the disc makes a space for the transmit unit to attach to the dish it came from.

What I can definitely do: use the original LNB+F, tell the receiver & computer the channels are H (even though they're V) to put out 18v instead of 13. Use a splitter from the LNB to connect the two devices. I'd lose whatever V may appear, but I'd definitely get the PBS stations and have a happy wife.

What I might be able to do, even though I'm new at this: attach the original feed to the OMT, attach both LNB's, then either connect each one to the 18v inputs on a 4x4 multiswitch (maybe 18V, 22khz off for H, 18v, 22khz on for V) or use power inserters, which I'd have to research a bit. I do have a 2x4 switch, but from what I've read on here I don't want just 13v for one LNB on an OMT.

Edit: Dan, is that lnb dual-output? That'd make this all a bit easier on my brain.

Going back to your thread title, "Easy but Reliable"... :D

Since you are working hard for permission, it might be best to install simple so you arent having to reeatedly climb on the roof to be working on an over-complicated assembly.

Based on your installation circumstances, I would remove the existing feedhorn/LNB and replace with a two output LNBF. Set it and forget about it... :D

Going back to your thread title, "Easy but Reliable"... :D

Since you are working hard for permission, it might be best to install simple so you arent having to reeatedly climb on the roof to be working on an over-complicated assembly.

Based on your installation circumstances, I would remove the existing feedhorn/LNB and replace with a two output LNBF. Set it and forget about it... :D

I probably should stick to the KISS method... I've been told I like to overcomplicate things. I'm probably focusing too much on the "reliable" half to squeeze every last bit of signal out of the dish by keeping the original feed. An SL2PLL with a 2x4 switch should suffice for now...

If you are using only a DVBS2 PCI(e) card and a STB, you do no need a multi-switch. Run two coax cables down from the dish (one for each receiver). A multi-switch is only necessary if feeding more than two receivers with a dual output LNBF.

Kitty if you use the super dish lnb you can run 1 wire from the dish into your apartment then use a splitter. Scan vertical there you go.

I was told by ice when you use a super dish lnb you scan vertical when I got started in this hobby.

stacked lnbs are built to run on 18v
if you scan horizontal only (which sends 18v to the lnb) it will bring in vertical on 950-1450 mhz and horizontal on 1650-2150 mhz
it will likely work somewhat if you scan vertical only, but the lnb will be under voltaged at 13v
if you scan both polarities, it will likely bring in each transponder (and each channel) twice
on a standard stacked fss lnb, the vertical local oscillator is 10750 mhz, and the horizontal local oscillator is 13850 mhz

I have always scanned vertical only on a stacked LNB.
The vertical side was always right transponder wise, the Horizontal side was higher up :)

Kitty if you use the super dish lnb you can run 1 wire from the dish into your apartment then use a splitter. Scan vertical there you go.
why would the OP want to use a SMALLER dish than what they already have?

That's like saying "I've got this 12 foot C-Band dish in my back yard....but I'm going to go buy a 6 footer instead"

why would the OP want to use a SMALLER dish than what they already have?

That's like saying "I've got this 12 foot C-Band dish in my back yard....but I'm going to go buy a 6 footer instead"

Ice, well said! :) I was scratching my head over that one too. The OP clearly mentioned in the beginning that he had a 1M Muzak dish he was going to use with the original LNB's. I don't remember any mention of SuperDish or a Dish Network anything wanting to be used. But like you said, it's easier to confound the new hobbiest to FTA by telling him to just go with other completely different stuff anyway. I don't always get it. :-/

Reactions: Mr Tony
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts