More ATT/DirecTV layoffs

Unions are dying...got too greedy
Big Pro Union person.

If you think this reality would exist without unions you're a fool.

The Internet would NOT exist had the union era never occurred.

There would be NO middle class.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unions are strong in my area, and if you want work in the telecommunications arena you are union (some exceptions of course). Non union outfits can't touch pay and benefits of union shops. Nor do they attract the best people.

Some of the union posts are getting into politics or have strong statements against the other side, whether for or against.

I'm going to ask we go back to the main topic of the thread, layoffs at AT&T and individuals losing their job.

Reactions: raoul5788
Hey jcrandall,

I see free speech is not respected in a big way here by those policing.

It seems to me you are selectively policing this forum.

Either police it right to all, or allow posts without selective editing.

Who decides what is edited and what is not.

Is there a group and a discussion or vote or willy nilly are you just decided and policing.

Curious.

I've seen MANY other posts in the forum that don't get deleted or edited.

I've seen lots of mean spirited or snarky posts and they are still there.

And as I named no one in my pro union post I find it very suspicious that it was edited and partially deleted in any way.

If you're going to be the oversee'er then start doing it on every single post by every single person and post a detailed reason why the change.

I imagine this would be a full time job for several people with a forum and thousands of daily posts.

You do realize the point of a forum is for discussion and posts.
That is the reason it exists.

Unless you just want this to be static info board with news and nothing more and done by staff only.

bjf

One more thing to add please don't edit or change the post I made.

Just delete it.

That way there's no gray area that you are stomping on free speech.

I would prefer it completely deleted.

That way it will make you feel better with your policing power.

And nobody will be the wiser.

So delete away.

bjf

They always do their layoffs before Christmas?
Often times, as many other companies.

Lot of movement with management in my area the last few months ...
Fortunately not many got hit this year at my level, many did the last few years ...

Most of the time, people are offered other locations to keep thier jobs if they are willing to move, last year a bunch at my level were surplussed and moved to Michigan and are very happy ...

I see free speech is not respected in a big way here by those policing.
It seems to me you are selectively policing this forum.
Either police it right to all, or allow posts without selective editing.
Who decides what is edited and what is not.
Is there a group and a discussion or vote or willy nilly are you just decided and policing.
Curious. I've seen MANY other posts in the forum that don't get deleted or edited.
I've seen lots of mean spirited or snarky posts and they are still there.

I don't like the word choice of "policing" the forum, a better word choice may be moderate.
The volunteer staff at Satelliteguys, which I am a part of, make decisions on content moderation.
This is, at times, done individually, or as a group, depending on the item or concern.
I will share that I made the choice to delete a portion of your post myself, as I felt portions were political in nature or were remarks worded strongly against those with an opposite viewpoint. We are a community forum, and ask our members to treat all with respect, regardless of their beliefs. Portions of your post were, in my opinion, not appropriate.

If you feel posts by other users are inappropriate, you can use the "report" button to alert the staff to review.

And as I named no one in my pro union post I find it very suspicious that it was edited and partially deleted in any way.
If you're going to be the oversee'er then start doing it on every single post by every single person and post a detailed reason why the change.
I imagine this would be a full time job for several people with a forum and thousands of daily posts.
You do realize the point of a forum is for discussion and posts.
That is the reason it exists. Unless you just want this to be static info board with news and nothing more and done by staff only.

You do not need to name an individual for a statement to be inappropriate.

One more thing to add please don't edit or change the post I made.
Just delete it.
That way there's no gray area that you are stomping on free speech.
I would prefer it completely deleted.
That way it will make you feel better with your policing power.
And nobody will be the wiser.
So delete away.
I made the decision to delete only a portion of the post as some of your content was, in my opinion, not over the top. The intent in doing this rather than deleting the entire posts is to avoid the feeling you're expressing, in your words, "stomping on free speech."

With that, in the future, if you have a concern with a staff decision to message that staff member, or to post in the Operations Center forum. If you are not satisfied, you are also welcome to use the Contact Us Botton at the bottom of the page to contact Scott, the founder and owner.

I hope with this explanation we can move on, so to speak, and avoid further public frustration that does not enhance the discussion. If you wish to discuss further, please use the steps I've shared above.

DirecTV was non union from the start and I have not heard that they had to join a union like CWA after the ATT deal. Does anyone know for sure if DirecTV is now union or not? I'll check with my friends there in a few days if nobody has an answer. Anyway, DirecTV was invented and staffed by Hughes Aircraft people and many of them were brilliant engineers. You will not find the level of expertise that the original Hughes owned DirecTV had in a union shop and the engineering folks would never have been union anyway.

When I was working at DirecTV we had quite a few folks migrate from union jobs at local and national TV stations to DirecTV broadcast centers and the union pay was just slightly better but they said you could be laid off at any time and many of them were, so it seems those union jobs are not so stable in the broadcast business. While I was working at DirecTV for 18yrs my pay, benefits and advancement opportunities were stellar and I could do many things that would not be allowed in a union shop. For me, the pre ATT DirecTV was a fantastic place to work and I enjoyed each and every day there.

Unions are strong in my area, and if you want work in the telecommunications arena you are union (some exceptions of course). Non union outfits can't touch pay and benefits of union shops. Nor do they attract the best people.

The only way to survive at att is to be union
DirecTV was non union from the start and I have not heard that they had to join a union like CWA after the ATT deal. Does anyone know for sure if DirecTV is now union or not? I'll check with my friends there in a few days if nobody has an answer. Anyway, DirecTV was invented and staffed by Hughes Aircraft people and many of them were brilliant engineers. You will not find the level of expertise that the original Hughes owned DirecTV had in a union shop and the engineering folks would never have been union anyway.

When I was working at DirecTV we had quite a few folks migrate from union jobs at local and national TV stations to DirecTV broadcast centers and the union pay was just slightly better but they said you could be laid off at any time and many of them were, so it seems those union jobs are not so stable in the broadcast business. While I was working at DirecTV for 18yrs my pay, benefits and advancement opportunities were stellar and I could do many things that would not be allowed in a union shop. For me, the pre ATT DirecTV was a fantastic place to work and I enjoyed each and every day there.

ATT being a union shop, Directv not being a union shop, ,the D* employees that were brought over would have the option to join the Union ...
No one HAS to join the Union ....
There are people that don't like Unions that work in them ... they do Not have to join the Union if they don't want.

Not sure what would happen with wages if you chose not to join though, never really thought about that part of it.

U Verse employees were not Union till receintly ... iirc.

Electricity takes the shortest route to ground....in a company like att..a union is a 100k resistor
ATT being a union shop, Directv not being a union shop, ,the D* employees that were brought over would have the option to join the Union ...
There are people that don't like Unions that work in them ... they do Not have to join the Union if they don't want.

Not sure what would happen with wages if you chose not to join though, never really thought about that part of it.

U Verse employees were not Union till receintly ... iirc.

Electricity does not take the shortest route to ground, it divides between the various paths depending on resistance.

I would post my past experience and opinion of unions, but union advocates and moderators would probably not like it.

Electricity takes the shortest route to ground....in a company like att..a union is a 100k resistor

This is why they created Right To Work Laws....To undermine unions, you get all the benefits and pay without paying dues....
[automerge]1576689447[/automerge]

No electricity takes the least path of resistance!

Oh please...tell that to an electrician who has been zapped
Electricity does not take the shortest route to ground, it divides between the various paths depending on resistance.

I would post my past experience and opinion of unions, but union advocates and moderators would probably not like it.

Path of least resistance is the shortest or I should have said easiest
This is why they created Right To Work Laws....To undermine unions, you get all the benefits and pay without paying dues....
[automerge]1576689447[/automerge]

No electricity takes the least path of resistance!

Oh please...tell that to an electrician who has been zapped

Stay away from electrical discussions please?....The ground is first make last break.....You would never get a shock from a ground as it would be a dead short....

I could have worded it better, what I meant was if you want one of the better Telecom jobs HERE, in Alaska union is the way to go. $44 to over $60 an hour on top of big employer contributions to the pensions, 401K, and medical. Layoffs have not been an issue in Alaska for AT&T in fact it is a struggle to find good technicians. They are usually looking, but they have to compete with several other major union shops vying for those techs. Alaska though is different than the lower 48.

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)