More DTV deception?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If they said $5 off for six months, why would they give me $10 off for 12?

They will when you tell them to send you to the cancellation department because you want the system removed since it doesnt have the channels they're advertising. Since you've had it less than 30 days, you can do that without consequence.

They'll probably offer you the higher programming package you need to get what the web site says you'll get, at no extra cost, or credits to offset the cost of the higher programming package. Once you get to customer retention, they have a lot more magic wand power.

Heck, you might even get some free movie channels for 3-6 months out of it, just to make you happy.

They will when you tell them to send you to the cancellation department because you want the system removed since it doesnt have the channels they're advertising. Since you've had it less than 30 days, you can do that without consequence.
This is bad advice. There are no 30 day money back guarantees.

Canceling at this point will win the OP a $460 ETF and no refunds on any up-front fees.

If one DIRECTV representative said that the channel was included and another says that it isn't, DIRECTV is lying.

It is complicated!

There is lying to deceive.
There is knowingly stating untruth.
There is unknowingly stating untruth.
There is stating what had been true but no longer is true.
There is misrepresenting what had been true but no longer is true.

And my personal fav....Stating the truth.........with additional details in small print.

FREE INSTALLATION...(if you live in a shack) 29.99 PER MONTH..(if you don't want significant programming).......

Joe

By more than one of your definitions, DIRECTV lied.

The only part that is complicated is figuring out how and to what degree they are lying.

How can my zip code help? DTV checked my zip and verified the website said I get the channel and still wanted me to pay for it.

Your OP says you checked what RSN and teams you'd get what web site did you use to check that? If you checked Local Regional Sports Network Information which ways what RSN and what teams you are supposed to get and what it's reported is not what you're seeing then I'd recommend contacting ellen.filipiak@directv.com. That get's you to a VP level office for customer care and if that web site is incorrect and you based your signup based on that info maybe they can do something for you. I think that's why you were asked for your zip code to see what it was reporting.

This is bad advice. There are no 30 day money back guarantees.

Canceling at this point will win the OP a $460 ETF and no refunds on any up-front fees.

Hmm, a simple google search shows hundreds of hits for a variety of directv sellers offering 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantees to all new subscribers.

Regardless, I doubt a company can offer a product and service, fail to deliver on an important portion of that service, and manage to charge a fee to a customer wishing to end the relationship...and not find a state attorney general firmly lodged in their posterior.

So thanks once again for your cogent observations regarding a company you do not have a business relationship with, and a product/service you do not subscribe to...

By more than one of your definitions, DIRECTV lied.

The only part that is complicated is figuring out how and to what degree they are lying.

You are getting the feel for it!

These are people who feel free to say whatever they want....nothing that happens will affect them. The one thing they seem to agree about is that if they do not bull sh*t on command they will be replaced.

In fact, even knowing who "they" are is hard. There are enough layers of contractors, sub contractors and lawyers between the customer and the owners of Directv that, aside from paying the bill for service, they might as well be on different planets.

As a customer I got a thanks for ten years of patronage..a sports pack I have no interest in. As an installer I have great problems getting paid for completed work.

Truth is not a business concept.

Joe

Last edited:
Your OP says you checked what RSN and teams you'd get what web site did you use to check that? If you checked Local Regional Sports Network Information which ways what RSN and what teams you are supposed to get and what it's reported is not what you're seeing then I'd recommend contacting ellen.filipiak@directv.com. That get's you to a VP level office for customer care and if that web site is incorrect and you based your signup based on that info maybe they can do something for you. I think that's why you were asked for your zip code to see what it was reporting.

Thanks rad. That's exactly what I thought. I was trying to explain that my zip code was verified by myself(ok I know that won't count for much) The DTV order taker, (should count for more) and, DTV customer service rep (should be sufficient verification). I'm not here on some crusade to bash DTV. If that was my mission, I would never have let them install me.

It was a different screen than that one which showed what channels I would receive. It was under the packages. It showed FSN Midwest all the way down to the choice package. The only one that didn't give me that was the 29.99 I think they call it family pack.

Can I ask why you won't post your zip code? It's not like any of us are cyberstalkers. We really want to help you get the stations you were told you should get.

I'm still baffled as to why you said that you've "never found that DIRECTV lies".

There is a culture within some areas of commerce that treats communication as something to do to make people stop complaining and do what you want. It as referred to as answering objections or resolving issues. In order to continue doing this one must maintain deniability.
In the case of Directv, and other corporations,there is no one voice. So if you encounter something that is not truthful...or even something that is truthful but that displeases you you can just ask again. There is a good chance you will get a different answer.
Encountering lies is just like encountering a dog turd on the lawn. Go around. Jump in. Do nothing about it. Scoop it up. In the scheme of things there are other issues to resolve.
Directv does what it does.

Joe

Update: now resolved

This was resolved today so, I thought I'd come back and update. I had sent an email to the address provided in this thread. A member of the DTV customer advocate team contacted me. I explained the same situation I explained here about what the website said. She went on the website and, said the same thing I reported the customer service rep saying. " I see what exactly what you were talking about" it does say that you get that channel in the choice plus package.

She then said.. what I can do is give you a credit for the year for sports pack so that you will get it. The credit would amount to somewhere around $120. Knowing that the only thing really worthwhile on the sports pack would be the Blues hockey games (all other games would be blacked out) I got thinking, 2 and 1/2 months of the season is gone. NHL CI is about $170. I figure if that were pro rated, it might be less than $120 so I asked her. She said let me see what I can do. She then gave me the rest of the season of NHL CI instead of the sports pack for a year. All in all, I'm satisfied with the resolution to this.

She said she's sending a note or something to the website powers that be so, it will be corrected to where you don't see that you are getting that channel when in fact, you aren't. Maybe she is maybe she isn't. Doesn't really concern me. I had to work at it but, perserverance appears to be the way.

This was resolved today so, I thought I'd come back and update. I had sent an email to the address provided in this thread. A member of the DTV customer advocate team contacted me. I explained the same situation I explained here about what the website said. She went on the website and, said the same thing I reported the customer service rep saying. " I see what exactly what you were talking about" it does say that you get that channel in the choice plus package.

She then said.. what I can do is give you a credit for the year for sports pack so that you will get it. The credit would amount to somewhere around $120. Knowing that the only thing really worthwhile on the sports pack would be the Blues hockey games (all other games would be blacked out) I got thinking, 2 and 1/2 months of the season is gone. NHL CI is about $170. I figure if that were pro rated, it might be less than $120 so I asked her. She said let me see what I can do. She then gave me the rest of the season of NHL CI instead of the sports pack for a year. All in all, I'm satisfied with the resolution to this.

She said she's sending a note or something to the website powers that be so, it will be corrected to where you don't see that you are getting that channel when in fact, you aren't. Maybe she is maybe she isn't. Doesn't really concern me. I had to work at it but, perserverance appears to be the way.

Settle in!

Being one with the Borg is not so bad.

Make it so!

Joe

Yeah it not often but every once and a while I will here a call someone screamign for a sup because the website was said one thing and our rsn tool said another an the tool is what our programing system goes by. Generally we report them and there fixed with in 72 hours

Yeah it not often but every once and a while I will here a call someone screamign for a sup because the website was said one thing and our rsn tool said another an the tool is what our programing system goes by. Generally we report them and there fixed with in 72 hours

Maybe you can get them to fixt the HD channel shown in the scrolling list, it STILL doesn't show Comedy Channel HD and I've e-mailed them about it a couple times months ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)