More DTV deception?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Ok, I just got installed today. Before I ordered , I researched the packages and channels. It said for my area I would get the Regional sports networks CSN Chicago and FSN Midwest. It even said something about Blues hockey. When I called to order, I verified with the rep on the phone that I would get both and was told yes. I get installed today and guess what? FSN Midwest is grayed out. Tells me to call 721. I call customer service, the guy says you don't get FSN Midwest. I calmly explain that I was told I would and that the website showed I would. He goes to the website and says, I see what you are talking about. It does say you get it. According to my tool here, it's not supposed to be in your package. You have to have the sports pack. The only thing I can do is give you $5 dollars off for 6 months. Regular price is $10 a month. I explain that I don't want to add more money. I was told this was part of the agreement. He said he understood but, that's the best he can do.

Now I don't get upset with the reps because he's just doing his job so, I just tell him that I don't want to pay extra then it's the ok, sorry I couldn't do more and all that.

If you've seen my other posts, I had a ton of trouble getting the referral and, I still am not guaranteed that I will get it. Other people have been flat out misled with a wrong phone number on the site for Refer a friend and, told they were out of luck. A phone number that continues to be there.

What's your zip code? And what sports were supposed to be showing on the channel?

It may be your package level needs to be higher to get the rsn you want. Not all are available with every package.

Call and complain about not having Versus, they may give you Center Ice for free and you can get the games on FSM. There's some threads on here about how to go about doing that...

I have never found that Directv lies. It is just that when you discover the truth it is not what you expected.

What happens in the installation world makes consumer experiences seem like a walk in the park.

Joe

If you've seen my other posts, I had a ton of trouble getting the referral and, I still am not guaranteed that I will get it. Other people have been flat out misled with a wrong phone number on the site for Refer a friend and, told they were out of luck. A phone number that continues to be there.

I got screwed out of my referral too. My brother signed up and gave them my account number (this was about 18 months ago). After not getting my compensation, I contacted them. By this time 2 months had passed (I was being patient assuming it took time for processing) and they told me they had no record of my account number as being a referral for my brother's account. I was 100% positive he called the correct number and 100% positive he gave it to them. They wouldn't do anything for me.

I used to be a major champion for DTV telling everyone I know to switch over. Between them screwing me and their sucky HD offerings those days are long gone. Now I steer everyone I can towards FiOS.

It may be your package level needs to be higher to get the rsn you want. Not all are available with every package.

My package is choice extra and the channel was listed all the way down to choice. LIke I said, I saw it on the website. The order guy confirmed it and, now the customer service guy saw it on the website.

I really did my homework

Call and complain about not having Versus, they may give you Center Ice for free and you can get the games on FSM. There's some threads on here about how to go about doing that...

Thanks for the tip. I have read that thread previously. I figure since I just got activated they would probably say you knew you weren't getting versus when you signed up.

Of course, that shouldn't matter since they don't expect to have to give me the channels they said they would

I wonder how they would take that argument

I got screwed out of my referral too. My brother signed up and gave them my account number (this was about 18 months ago). After not getting my compensation, I contacted them. By this time 2 months had passed (I was being patient assuming it took time for processing) and they told me they had no record of my account number as being a referral for my brother's account. I was 100% positive he called the correct number and 100% positive he gave it to them. They wouldn't do anything for me.

I used to be a major champion for DTV telling everyone I know to switch over. Between them screwing me and their sucky HD offerings those days are long gone. Now I steer everyone I can towards FiOS.

I hear ya. I called 3 times til it showed up on my account. The first two times I got the same story, no record of a referral. I even had to cancel my original order and do it all over again because they said they couldn't process the referral without doing it that way. Finally after all that, on the third call it showed up on my online account. They did say it takes 6-8 weeks so, I may get the shaft yet. How this company treats me depends on whether they get my money after the 24 months and they aren't off to a very good start.

I have never found that Directv lies. It is just that when you discover the truth it is not what you expected.

What happens in the installation world makes consumer experiences seem like a walk in the park.

Joe

I guess you're saying you are an installer Joe? Are you getting the shaft too? Not hard to imagine. If they treat their paying customers this way, I wouldn't guess they treat the people they are paying any better

Ok, I just got installed today. Before I ordered , I researched the packages and channels. It said for my area I would get the Regional sports networks CSN Chicago and FSN Midwest. It even said something about Blues hockey. When I called to order, I verified with the rep on the phone that I would get both and was told yes. I get installed today and guess what? FSN Midwest is grayed out. Tells me to call 721. I call customer service, the guy says you don't get FSN Midwest. I calmly explain that I was told I would and that the website showed I would. He goes to the website and says, I see what you are talking about. It does say you get it. According to my tool here, it's not supposed to be in your package. You have to have the sports pack. The only thing I can do is give you $5 dollars off for 6 months. Regular price is $10 a month. I explain that I don't want to add more money. I was told this was part of the agreement. He said he understood but, that's the best he can do.

Now I don't get upset with the reps because he's just doing his job so, I just tell him that I don't want to pay extra then it's the ok, sorry I couldn't do more and all that.

I would call them back and see if they will cover you $ 10 pm for 12 months , this way you would get the channel you wanted at least for the year.

I guess you're saying you are an installer Joe? Are you getting the shaft too? Not hard to imagine. If they treat their paying customers this way, I wouldn't guess they treat the people they are paying any better

It is complicated!

My impression is that they (Directv) pay very well for results...installed systems. They (Directv) contract with what are called their Home Service Providers (HSPs). The next level of "They" find subcontractors. It is at this level that the crimes take place.

It was not always this way.My experience has been that the honest and competent operators have left the business or will not do Directv work through the HSP system.

Me too.

Joe

Hey first post here, how is everyone this evening?

I do not have much to offer you awesome other than we were hooked up two days ago after getting fed up with comcasts attempt with on demand. I am unsure of wich package we signed up for other than it being "the middle package"

I am pretty sure its the $29 a month deal. I signed up here with a few questions myself.
I have a healthy savings account and have been needing a new tv for a few years now.
So I used this new hookup as an excuse to go out and finally get an HD tv.

I was under the impression that the HD signal would be there, and untill recently thought all I needed was some new component cables or hdmi's....

As I now know we only have a SD dish along with SD receivers.

I am wondering if its out of the realm of possibilities to convey this to DTV and see if they can come back out to upgrade the dish and recievers for free, or with an added service charge plus the $10 month HD box fee?

I do not have much to offer you awesome other than we were hooked up two days ago after getting fed up with comcasts attempt with on demand. I am unsure of wich package we signed up for other than it being "the middle package"

I am pretty sure its the $29 a month deal. I signed up here with a few questions myself.
I have a healthy savings account and have been needing a new tv for a few years now.

I was under the impression that the HD signal would be there, and untill recently thought all I needed was some new component cables or hdmi's....

I am wondering if its out of the realm of possibilities to convey this to DTV and see if they can come back out to upgrade the dish and recievers for free, or with an added service charge plus the $10 month HD box fee?
Welcome to the site :up
Sure, They will be happy to come back out and swap out recvrs for you, the other recvers won't be free, but they may compensate you and you pay the difference.
IF your looking for just the basic HD recvr, you may get it close to even swap, but a HD DVR will have an addl. cost involved to get the recvr(s).:up

I would call them back and see if they will cover you $ 10 pm for 12 months , this way you would get the channel you wanted at least for the year.

If they said $5 off for six months, why would they give me $10 off for 12?

I don't know but, I will say that this is my first experience with a DVR and it's pretty darn cool

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)