Status
Not open for further replies.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Well, after having 18-inches of global warming dumped on us in the DC area last month, it looks like we may get another 3-6 inches this evening...and perhaps a larger dose of global warming this weekend. Of course, this is after we were warmed with a toasty 9-inch white blanket of global warming this past weekend.

My back is starting to hurt from shoveling all the aftermath of global warming. ;)

I think one of the funniest things was several years ago when Al Gore's movie came out (forget the name), he got cancelled on a big speaking engagement in New York.................due to a blizzard.

Jim. Don't you know the correct term is "climate change" :D

Yikes! I was just served a weather advisory asking us to prepare for a winter storm with snow expected to be in excess of 12-inches here in the DC area. Not a problem...I love snow - the more the merrier.

Wow, I don't think I could handle living with what you northerners get for snow. I think snow is beautiful and love to see it 1-2 times per year as long as it goes away in a day or two ;)

Yikes! I was just served a weather advisory asking us to prepare for a winter storm with snow expected to be in excess of 12-inches here in the DC area. Not a problem...I love snow - the more the merrier.

The Mid-Atlantic States are getting the storms that the Midwest/Great Lakes usually get because of El Nino. In a typical Winter, these big storm systems start in the SW, make a turn, and usually ride up the spine of the Appalachians. Because of El Nino, they're not making the turn and the Mid.Atl/NE is getting hammered. Where I am, east of Cleveland, we're way below normal this winter for snow. I just hope the pattern changes before Winter is over, because I love big snow storms.

If the current Models stay on track, KY/TN/DC/Balt might get hammered again next Tues/Wed, so watch out. Fortunately (for me), recent runs have trended the system North. Nothing beats tracking storms......

The Mid-Atlantic States are getting the storms that the Midwest/Great Lakes usually get because of El Nino. In a typical Winter, these big storm systems start in the SW, make a turn, and usually ride up the spine of the Appalachians. Because of El Nino, they're not making the turn and the Mid.Atl/NE is getting hammered. Where I am, east of Cleveland, we're way below normal this winter for snow. I just hope the pattern changes before Winter is over, because I love big snow storms.

I don't mind the snow, but hate the dryness in the air and the bitter cold.

<sigh>

Already lost one doc appt. Now might lose the resked for tomorrow. Two miles from an emergency room, if worse comes to worse. Glad to have a 4WD pickup that both of us can drive. Ought to show son how also. That ought to take, oh, 30 seconds?

Next week he has 5 hours of chemo a day for 5 days- MAJOR concerns, apparently, if he misses one. He missed a different chemo once when all nurses were out sick or could not get in from snow. That one was ok to delay a day, though.

Can't help but wonder about the repercussions. I was in the hospital for the last one, and they required all the military to stay in the hospital, in case others did not make it in for their shifts. Lot's of civilian types stayed as well, just to avoid driving in the weather.

But we don't know how to deal with this here- think of the police, fire & other emergency personnel. And when we most need the metro (subway) - they shut it down!

Good luck to you and your family, navy. What you're going through is never welcome, much worse when conditions beyond your control make it downright hazardous.

I was traveling home last weekend, glad it's not this one. We'll get "only" 4-8" in these parts. My hat is off to all who must serve in one capacity or another for the duration. As for me, I'll just hunker down, stay home, and try very hard not to become part of the problem.

...and I'll be burning LOTS of wood to help with the GW...!

As long as it is white snow :)

We will be BBQ'ing Sunday. Small chance of rain, high in mid 60's.
I just came back from dinner - had a pretty good Prime Rib. Made it there prior to 7pm and the establishment closed their door shortly after I arrived. Anyway, except for Wawa and Sheets just about everthing else was shut-down. The revised forecast calls for 20-30 inches of snow here in the DC Metro area. I just hope we don't lose power since it is "wet" snow. Needless to say, I will be out-and-about after shoveling more snow tomorrow morning. :)

On a side note, one of the insane neighbors was out riding his bicycle. I have to give this guy credit...he is hard-core individual!!!

We ended-up getting all 14" of the 4-8" forecast for our region! (I wish I could be so inaccurate in my work and still get to keep my job! On second thought - who'd want to be so bad ?!?)

We ended-up getting all 14" of the 4-8" forecast for our region! (I wish I could be so inaccurate in my work and still get to keep my job! On second thought - who'd want to be so bad ?!?)
Yeah, we got 26" of our 18" forecast. And now they're calling for another "foot or more" in my area tonight. :eek:

Yeah, we got 26" of our 18" forecast. And now they're calling for another "foot or more" in my area tonight. :eek:
Were you one of the lucky ones that lost power in the last round?

Cybok said that around 900,000 lost it saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)