More Global Warming on Tap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, we got 26" of our 18" forecast. And now they're calling for another "foot or more" in my area tonight. :eek:
Our locals (AccuWx) are hedging this time. "3-6", more possible..." It think they pretty well covered their bases! The 14.5" we got Sat. shrunk to about 12" remaining as of this AM. There was little wind with that event in our parts so it pretty much remains where it fell. We were just barely able to get our Silverado through that mess on Sat. to break a set of tracks. I also barely got my Subie through the path the truck cut on Mon. AM, but the car will now remain at the bottom of the lane until we get something cleared either mechanically (cost est. $300) or with some serious melting, which is not in the near-term f'cst. As long as the truck can make it we're OK. (Swapping vehicles at the bottom of the hill each time.) Once the truck gets stuck, we resort to walking the hill. No fun in howling winds, after dark, carrying whatever, and the snow thigh-high in drifted areas. And it's those drifts that will eventually do us in. 3-6" additional probably won't be a problem itself. It's what the wind does with it that makes all the difference. I have 200' of snow fence up to protect the area that is impacted worse. But that only helps when the wind is westerly as usual. The past storm and this imminent one are classic "nor'easters" and the fence is completely useless for those. Time to break-out the snowshoes again...!

EDIT - Oh joy - they just bumped it to "...6 to 10"...more possible"...

Last edited:
Were you one of the lucky ones that lost power in the last round?

Cybok said that around 900,000 lost it saturday.
Surprisingly being in the rural area I'm in, my power has been rock solid.
I've lost power once in the 5 years I've owned the house, even after several ice storms.

Our locals (AccuWx) are hedging this time. "3-6", more possible..." It think they pretty well covered their bases! The 14.5" we got Sat. shrunk to about 12" remaining as of this AM.

EDIT - Oh joy - they just bumped it to "...6 to 10"...more possible"...
Yeah, we're getting a range too. Right now they're saying 8"-18".

I've still got about 18" on the ground, and 2'-3' beside the drive way. Not sure where I'll put tonights snow, the burm will just gget higher and higher I guess...

lol - Yeah that brings back bad memories of the '93/'94 winter. It's rare I need to have my lane plowed, which at 0.3 mi. long is not a trivial expense, so I always delay that as long as possible. And by then when I call a contractor I get to wait in line which is sometimes days. In early '94 we had repetitive accumulations that the contractors could only push back so far. The last effort required an articulated front-loader CAT that could lift the buckets-full over the already 3-4' high frozen walls. That was $60/hr. at the time and took 4 hrs. The result resembled a bobsled run. At least I knew I couldn't run off the road!

At that same time I had to shovel my roof the one and only time I did it. Took 2 of us almost 8 hours. It ruined the shingles which I only recently replaced. I really don't want to have to repeat that! Some parts of the resulting snowpiles that were in low-light areas did not melt completely until late April!

Unfortunately I'm beginning to see vestiges of that series of events again.

I should buy a massive, really expensive snowblower. That would virtually guarantee it would never snow here again...!

Last edited:
Well, weather.com says it should start snowing here again at 3. Yesterday they said 9 a.m. this morning. Local TV & Weather ch 9438 say at 7 tonight.

Lady who works for me said Braddock, a fairly large artery here, is still messed up. And that stores have little - esp milk, bread and meat.

I have a 4WD pickup. But a huge pile of snow in front and back, and to some extent on the road side. Ain't getting out without shoveling. And I'm in no shape to shovel. Neighbors helped wife get her car out, though. She had an appt at the hospital.

With more snow coming, and considering that we never were plowed after the last one, I guess I won't be getting in to work this week at all. Telecommute, unless our flat roof collapses at work.

We haven't lost power this time around, but it sure sounds like they expect us to tonight or tomorrow.

I'm speculating on clearing a short path from my back door to my gas grill and smokers. So there will be that much less to shovel tomorrow (son or wife will have to do it). If we lose power, we certainly will have warm food. Our small generator might run the gas furnace, if I figure out how to hot wire it. And we have a small gas fireplace, mostly for looks, and a kerosene heater (double burner so it's safe to run inside with some ventilation, like near the fireplace). And we've got plenty of food. So we're better prepared than many.

Good luck all! It's been snowing here for about an hour, small accumulation and no wind...so far. But I fear we're in for the proverbial "doozy" in these parts, worse than what hit over the weekend due to the timing, what's already on the ground, and the wind factor.

Bundle up and stay safe. My boss has allowed me a "special assignment" (telecommute) day for tomorrow. I'll need to load-up with stuff to read, etc. before I leave tonight.

Recent multi-day power outages have taught us how to cope. We'll be fine for the most part if we do lose power but that's one thing I'm not anticipating this time. These times make me ever grateful for all the effort I put in each fall gathering firewood, and the Coleman stoves and lanterns left over from scouting days. Have even learned how to take a "sponge shower" with warm enough water to actually enjoy it when needed...!

Maybe we need to pump more CO2 into the atmosphere, clear out more rain forests and burn the wood.

Even here in Jacksonville, this year, I had to break out the long sleeve shirts.

yep - And I'm freezing at work too. Wearing 4 layers on top right now and might start wearing LJs! If this isn't corrected soon I'm gonna hafta start busting-up the furniture and start a bonfire...!

Good luck all! It's been snowing here for about an hour, small accumulation and no wind...so far. But I fear we're in for the proverbial "doozy" in these parts, worse than what hit over the weekend due to the timing, what's already on the ground, and the wind factor.
5 inches already and it's not even 8:30pm
Tomorrow is going to be a doozy...

Recent multi-day power outages have taught us how to cope. We'll be fine for the most part if we do lose power but that's one thing I'm not anticipating this time. These times make me ever grateful for all the effort I put in each fall gathering firewood, and the Coleman stoves and lanterns left over from scouting days. Have even learned how to take a "sponge shower" with warm enough water to actually enjoy it when needed...!
Thankfully we have the travel trailer. If power was lost, we could quickly move into it and stay warm, as it's furnace runs off the battery & propane.

Be safe out there today! The snow totals aren't going to be as impressive, but the wind + cold + snow is going to make it downright dangerous in certain areas.

Looks like I misjudged this one by about 12 hours. As-of this AM we only had a couple of inches down, but it's still coming and will intensify through 7PM. And the wind is making havoc of it all! Fortunately this wind is westerly in my neck of the woods which means my snow fence can have a positive impact on the outcome. So I came into work, only a bit late. Will stay as long as things seem reasonable. Tomorrow may be my telecommute day...

Looks like I misjudged this one by about 12 hours. As-of this AM we only had a couple of inches down, but it's still coming and will intensify through 7PM. And the wind is making havoc of it all! Fortunately this wind is westerly in my neck of the woods which means my snow fence can have a positive impact on the outcome. So I came into work, only a bit late. Will stay as long as things seem reasonable. Tomorrow may be my telecommute day...
You're lucky. We're shut down here in York.
Over 18" already and still coming down steadily, and supposed to until 7pm.
I'm thinking tomorrow will be another snow/digging out day.

I'm jealous of you guys. I LOVE the snow and Cleveland is running a snow deficit so far this winter.

DerwinO - we're right behind you to be sure! I expect my lane to become completely impassable sometime later today or tomorrow with the drifting...

Skyhi - I don't know if Cleveland is subject to "lake effect" snows as are Buffalo and points east, but if so I think your dearth of snowfall is another effect of the title theme of this thread. I read somewhere that Lake Erie is nearly frozen over and that will shut off the engine for the L-E storms for the balance of this winter...!

Skyhi - I don't know if Cleveland is subject to "lake effect" snows as are Buffalo and points east, but if so I think your dearth of snowfall is another effect of the title theme of this thread. I read somewhere that Lake Erie is nearly frozen over and that will shut off the engine for the L-E storms for the balance of this winter...!

East of the city (where I am) typically gets a lot of lake effect. Except for 1 week in January, the winds were never quite right this year for us to get dumped on.

Unfortunately, Lake Erie is 90% ice-covered so the LES machine is virtually shutdown. That's not unusual, though - - Erie freezes every year. This year it actually took longer than average to freeze.......we just didn;t get the good winds for multiple lake effect snows.

To all those that are getting the snow and like it - - - enjoy it. If you don't like it, take solace in the fact that spring will be here before you know it. Hopefully it will be a slow thaw, though, because I'm guessing flooding would be a major concern.

I hope all is well with you guys. This thread has been awfully quiet......

I hope all is well with you guys. This thread has been awfully quiet......
In between bouts of shoveling snow and watching the kiddos play in it, been too tired to log on.

Tomorrow I'll probably dig the kids an igloo in one of the piles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)