More HD 7/27

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep, they gave it to me. It shows on my statement. They told me that to qualify for free HD access required only Select Classic. That the Family package was the only one for which you didn't qualify.

raoul5788 said:
I'm surprised they gave you hd for free. The lowest you are supposed to maintain to keep it is Choice, I think. I would check your bill and make sure they are giving it to you.

Also those that are still grandfathered with TC/TC+ packages

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

My Sony AV receiver doesn't support 720p side-by-side, so I'm forced to bypass and plug the HR24 directly into my display.

Neither does my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 :( I'm getting an error message on the ESPN3D screen so I had to plug in directly to my TV as well.

4 channels of HD will come live on 7/27 as currently slated

3 of cinemax

HBO
505 HBO2 west

Also the Max2go iphone/ipad/andriod app will be out 08/1/11

They left spaces for Mormax west and Outermax. They must really be tight on space since they just didn't go ahead and add Outermax while they were at it. It may not seem like much but being able to say they have all eastern Max channels and not being able to say it is a pretty significant difference. Outermax is just Outermax but worth the add and the prestige of saying, "we here at DirecTV now carry all the HBO and Max HD eastern feeds. They can't say it yet. Add Outermax!

I have been searching since I installed HBO Go on Android for Max Go on my Android. Glad it is finally going to be coming out.

I am fairly new here on the D* side. I was with E* for over 10 years and switched a couple of months ago so I can watch the Mets on SNY.
I never realized how many HD channels were missing here. I will stay with the commit but if things do not improve with basic HD, my stay here will be short lived. Now around here, even cable looks better.
My free premium's for a new customer are done next week. I see next to nothing to watch so I am cancelling them.
If D* doesn't add more basics in HD and soon, I am back to cable when my contract runs out.
Geez, I thought D* would be better.

Still 720p. Heard that they may be changing to 1080i, but nothing firm.

I don't see ESPN ever changing from 720p to 1080i , they may change to 1080p for the purpose of 3D, but I don't see why they would ever entertain the idea of changing to 1080i for the main channels.

I am fairly new here on the D* side. I was with E* for over 10 years and switched a couple of months ago so I can watch the Mets on SNY.
I never realized how many HD channels were missing here. I will stay with the commit but if things do not improve with basic HD, my stay here will be short lived. Now around here, even cable looks better.
My free premium's for a new customer are done next week. I see next to nothing to watch so I am cancelling them.
If D* doesn't add more basics in HD and soon, I am back to cable when my contract runs out.
Geez, I thought D* would be better.

Interesting, Your the first one to say that in a LONG time ..... that D* PQ isn't very good. Outside of the C-Band Masters guy.

I think you need to make some adjustments if your not seeing what the rest of us are.
How are you connected ?
What recvrs and TV ?

Your commitment is for 2 years unless your willing to buy yourself out of it.

Seriously, tweak your set up and see what you come up with.

Normally it's QUALITY over Quantity here.

Yes616,

I think picture quality on DirecTV is really good. Now I have been told it's also really good on Dish Network (by its subscribers). So, I have to wonder if there is too much bulls*** from people who claim inferior picture quality with certain providers out of motivation to prop up one company over another. Reality is this: consumers expect solid quality with any and all providers of cable television. I would like every company to succeed on that ground; no consumer should have to suffer.

For the record, I got the 24 month Free HD promotion in the summer of 2010, when I had Choice Xtra. I had to downgrade all the way to Select Choice in early 2011, for 5 months, and D* allowed me to keep the free HD Access. The CSR told me that as long as I did not drop all the way to Family, I would keep my free HD Access.

Yes616,

I think picture quality on DirecTV is really good. Now I have been told it's also really good on Dish Network (by its subscribers). So, I have to wonder if there is too much bulls*** from people who claim inferior picture quality with certain providers out of motivation to prop up one company over another. Reality is this: consumers expect solid quality with any and all providers of cable television. I would like every company to succeed on that ground; no consumer should have to suffer.

It is a fact that D* gives their HD channels significantly more bandwidth than does E*. Picture quality is directly related to bandwidth. D* carries fewer HD channels per transponder than does E*. Thus the typical D* HD channel gets more average bandwidth and is higher quality than the typical E* HD channel.

I have compared the two several times. I know E* subs like to claim that their PQ is just as good, however it is not. Some people just don't notice the difference. To me the difference is quite obvious. I used to subscribe to E* but switched to D* because of the better HD picture quality.

Interesting, Your the first one to say that in a LONG time ..... that D* PQ isn't very good. Outside of the C-Band Masters guy.

I think you need to make some adjustments if your not seeing what the rest of us are.
How are you connected ?
What recvrs and TV ?

Your commitment is for 2 years unless your willing to buy yourself out of it.

Seriously, tweak your set up and see what you come up with.

Normally it's QUALITY over Quantity here.
Forgive me but I am missing many HD channels I had with Dish. Direct just added some premium channels in HD but as I stated earlier, I have little interest there. The picture quality on the HD channels are very good.

I have a new Slimline dish aimed at the 99, 101 and 103 orbital positions with the HR24 DVR and 2 H24's set up as whole home.
Yes616,

The picture quality was great with Dish and is with Direct. I am missing some of the HD I used to get like BBC America, AMC, History International and I can go on. The wife is missing some as well like LMN. Going back to SD on these channels is very annoying.
It is a fact that D* gives their HD channels significantly more bandwidth than does E*. Picture quality is directly related to bandwidth. D* carries fewer HD channels per transponder than does E*. Thus the typical D* HD channel gets more average bandwidth and is higher quality than the typical E* HD channel.

I have compared the two several times. I know E* subs like to claim that their PQ is just as good, however it is not. Some people just don't notice the difference. To me the difference is quite obvious. I used to subscribe to E* but switched to D* because of the better HD picture quality.
Again, I don't see the picture quality as better. They are both very good. I also use an OTA antenna to compliment the satellite service and I find that the OTA is a little better than both D* & E*. At the risk of being making fun of, I admit I have "The Young and the Restless" DVR'd every day on the OTA channel (WYOU Scranton, PA) as that just looks better and I don't need to worry about Bloomberg interrupting with some news conference on WCBS.

Forgive me but I am missing many HD channels I had with Dish. Direct just added some premium channels in HD but as I stated earlier, I have little interest there. The picture quality on the HD channels are very good.

I have a new Slimline dish aimed at the 99, 101 and 103 orbital positions with the HR24 DVR and 2 H24's set up as whole home.

The picture quality was great with Dish and is with Direct. I am missing some of the HD I used to get like BBC America, AMC, History International and I can go on. The wife is missing some as well like LMN. Going back to SD on these channels is very annoying.

Again, I don't see the picture quality as better. They are both very good. I also use an OTA antenna to compliment the satellite service and I find that the OTA is a little better than both D* & E*. At the risk of being making fun of, I admit I have "The Young and the Restless" DVR'd every day on the OTA channel (WYOU Scranton, PA) as that just looks better and I don't need to worry about Bloomberg interrupting with some news conference on WCBS.

Your OTA channels should look a bit better, however D* has done nicely to make it much closer in quality.

The OTA a channels are not compressed as much, also a different technology now.
OTA is still using MPEG2 while D is Mpeg 4, mainly because MPEG 4 does a better job compressing with the large number of channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)