More HD now or wait

• Now

Votes: 100 68.0%
  • Wait

Votes: 47 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tony
I'm not comparing OTA vs. Dish locals. I'm comparing a feed from say Big10, ESPN or FSN HD versus the compressed feed on Dish

and how many of the people who are in these forums crying about pq CONSTANTLY, view it on a tv that's quality is barely a step above a polished turd

obviously, but as i understand him he gets the feed from big ten espn and vs. and sense D* and E* both use some compression where does he pick up the raw feed?

The raw feeds are on C band and Ku FSS band. (not to be confused with DBS ku)

The raw feeds are on C band and Ku FSS band. (not to be confused with DBS ku)

Yes, And if you want similar quality. Just pop in a Blue ray disc.:D
Anyways, i'm not asking E* to provide the same quality as some of those feeds that are running ridiculos bit rates. But, rather just don't make it any worse than they already have.

HDNET still looks far better than just about any other HD channel. In fact, in HD channel surfing, I was jarred by how damn good HDNET looks, which means the other HD channels are being compromised to some degree by Dish. Does HDNET still require providers--by contract--to provide HDNET at full resolution? I believe they used to, and they would get irate at Direc TV for not doing so.

HDNET still looks far better than just about any other HD channel. In fact, in HD channel surfing, I was jarred by how damn good HDNET looks, which means the other HD channels are being compromised to some degree by Dish. Does HDNET still require providers--by contract--to provide HDNET at full resolution? I believe they used to, and they would get irate at Direc TV for not doing so.

As far as i know HDNET is being transmitted on a transponder containing only 6 channels. Along with ESPN.

Face it guys it's a vicious circle. People want more HD content. Bandwidth isn't available the only option is to compress. Picture quality will suffer. They maxed out mpeg 2, then went to mpeg 4, and now are maxing it out. Whats next mpeg 6? How much can information can you take out of a picture with a new so called lossless codec? Not to mention you will have to swap out boxes again when they jump to anything new.

The time is right for a service to pass along the broadcast masters quality to the public. The problem is that they can't make insane profits by doing that. Greed controls the quality of your picture and what you pay. Dish, Direct, Cable, Telco's they all have the same $$$ agenda.

http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/satellite/hdlite.htm

They need to get the HD channels they are already carrying "right" (full resolution/bandwidth) first!

By "right" do you mean fix the video glitches and occasional lip sync errors or display the channel in its full resolution?

If you mean full resolution, that will probably not happen until they do away with MPEG2.

I am 'pretty' happy with Dish HD. I have 2 46" LCD TV's and sit about 10 feet from them. The image looks pretty good to me. Also, some people blame Dish for quality when it is the fault of the content provider... HGTV & Food still show alot of processed stretched out shows. MTV, VH1, & BET rarely show anything that fills my screen.

MPEG4 is very efficient. What it can do at the same bitrate as MPEG2 is incredible. I use MPEG4 (h.264) at home for my personal video library. Encoders are constantly refined and all Dish needs to do is provide a firmware update to it's boxes each time it gets better.

I disagree with people that say they will squish it down as much as the SD was. I don't think they will ever do that. I personally believe that one of the next big provider "battles" will be over picture quality. Once Dish gets everything on MPEG4, they will have a considerable amount of bandwidth to play with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)