More HD at what cost!

More HD now or wait

• Now

Votes: 100 68.0%
  • Wait

Votes: 47 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Absolutely not! I believe he made them smaller (they were probably originally 1920x1088) perhaps to make it easier to host them all. BUT, anytime you modify them you re-encode them which changes them. The encoder very well could handle a clean picture better than one that already has artifacts -- and those with artifacts could likely have those artifacts get disproportionately exaggerated in the re-encoding process. Strictly speaking, we'd need a couple original RAW or TIFF images from his capture tool (and I am curious to know what he is using too) to really do an accurate comparison.

Ok, fair enough. Maybe he'll produce it.

Sat Guys does not host the formats you want or allow such large files. I can put up some originals in png and bmp format on my server. These will be in full 1920x1088 resolution. I will sync up of the two .ts stream files I have and do some screen captures and toss them up there.

EDITED TO SAY:

The images on my homepage were downsized to work with the webpage. They still show a good comparison for reference. My 32" AQUOS was top of the line when bought. I don't buy new tv's every year. It is fine for me currently.

Last edited:
I took the two .ts files I have and did some screen caps in full resolution. The BMP files are uncompressed and quite big, so depending on your ISP they could take a bit to load. The PNG files are smaller but are still good for comparison, the bitmaps are the best though. Don't ask me anything else how I got these .ts done. It may get the person who did it get in a world of crap if the higher ups found out about this. Look at the bug in the corner and the pattern on the tile, you will also see a softness to the E* images not on c band.

Here's the link: Now go eat up all my bandwidth downloading ;)

Special Webpage For Sat Guys Members Only!

Attachments

• nick master feed info.jpg
    nick master feed info.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Mmmm....tasty bandwidth. Thanks for the ful rez versions. As I fully expected, the master feed looks notably sharper, but with it you do actually see more artifacts in it. The softening E* doing seems to mute a lot of the artifacts, but I'd still much prefer sharper image. I was happy to see that the color and brightness between the two was pretty much exactly the same.

Mmmm....tasty bandwidth. Thanks for the ful rez versions. As I fully expected, the master feed looks notably sharper, but with it you do actually see more artifacts in it. The softening E* doing seems to mute a lot of the artifacts, but I'd still much prefer sharper image. I was happy to see that the color and brightness between the two was pretty much exactly the same.

I like the sharpness too, a soft image to me looks blurry. All digital except a very high backhaul steam has some artifacts. With the Nick PowerVu master they are compressing 6 to 1 in 36 mhz of bandwidth, that's a bit high for my liking. It just happens that my friend had access to this encypted mux and E* so he did me a favor to record these streams. If would be interesting to do this comparison again after E* adds more channels to there muxes.

and I guess you didnt see the FRONT PAGE link we have here that its a bunch of bull honkey
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/201810-dont-believe-nps-about-c-band-support-ending.html
I rarely ever look at the front page. :neener

I guess you didnt read posts after that (especially mine) that shows NPS is full of crap.
At the time I grabbed the link to that post (and it took me awhile to post it because I had to reset my password), it was the LAST post in that thread!! Geez, WTF is your problem? :rolleyes:

I also have ota hi d and i would say it is pretty much of a tossup however the sd ota is much better the sat. has. I also see a day to day difference with the sat.

I dont have an issue. Just pointing out there is more to the story than that link
Then why did you call me out for not reading the rest of the posts in a thread when -- at the time I posted it -- there were no more posts in that thread! Sorry I couldn't see the future (and your post you made hours later). :rolleyes:

You sure seemed to have a chip on your shoulder when you replied. Maybe you should consider laying off the roids... :p

Then why did you call me out for not reading the rest of the posts in a thread when -- at the time I posted it -- there were no more posts in that thread! Sorry I couldn't see the future (and your post you made hours later). :rolleyes:
yep that hour later (not hours) when I made the post. Hey it showed up as one of the newest posts when I logged in

You sure seemed to have a chip on your shoulder when you replied.
so did you. I dont have any chip on my shoulder. I was just pointing out that the post you linked to has incorrect info

Maybe you should consider laying off the roids... :p

flaming a mod isn't the brightest move. I'll leave it at that :)

Iceburg,
What you didn't see the smilely? I didn't realize you were a mod. I wouldn't expect a mod to blast someone for posts that were not there at the time he posted, and then wonder why the blastee got upset -- all the while refusing to really admit his mistake.

And for the record it was at least an hour and a half (if not more) from the time I grabbed that post until when you blasted me. Ban me if you must...

I stopped reading this thread when I saw that the CW in SD on C-Band is better than HD OTA.

in a lot of markets it does. I have access to both and my SD CW feed from C-Band looks better than the crap that SINclair is putting out HD wise in Minneapolis :)

It depends on the size of your display. I have a home theater with a 104" projection screen. So far most channels look quite good to me, though there is a lot of variation between channels. I think that is more to do with the source than with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts