More HD at what cost!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

More HD now or wait

• Now

Votes: 100 68.0%
  • Wait

Votes: 47 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C band sounds nifty but is it easily accessible?

It doesn't appear to be something the average joe can easily set-up?
See, let's even say some enterprising companies come up with a cheap C-band setup... say $500 to have everything installed. Yes, it's cheaper than signing up with providers, but hey, no more monthly fee, AND the picture quality is better. Sounds great right?

But you're giving up convenience. I don't know about anyone else, but I'll generally watch two shows at once... watch one, and on commercials, jump over to the other. Now on C-band, that could work if the channels are on the same satellite (not a given). However, what if there's nothing else you want to watch on that sat... you're stuck. PLUS, commercials might just be "black" where local providers would fill.

"That's fine, I DVR everything anyway." some might say. You're still limited to looking at one satellite at a time (unless you put up your own "dish farm"). So you might be stuck watching what you're recording anyway.:mad:

I will agree providers are compressing the heck out of the signal. But who's really watching iCarly for picture quality? Granted, you're not seeing ESPNHD at it's full resolution, but to me it's "good enough", and worth it for the convenience of getting multiple feeds. (BTW, those of you who like flipping between ballgames... yes, you can pick them up C-band (or Ku) IF you can find the coordinates, and IF it's not scrambled... again, neither of which is a given).

I think E* could easily provide just as good of PQ that Cband has if people didn't just care about "how many channels i can get". It's like what would you rather have? 200 channels of Crap or 100 channels of quality. I'll take the quality over WFN, Ctrc and some other waste of space channels. But, the poll above indicates people want Quanity over quality. Sad

S
I will agree providers are compressing the heck out of the signal. But who's really watching iCarly for picture quality? Granted, you're not seeing ESPNHD at it's full resolution, but to me it's "good enough", and worth it for the convenience of getting multiple feeds.

The only reason iCarly was used as an example was because I had access to the C band encrypted Nick HD master feed and pizza's Nick HD lite feed at the same time, thanks to someone I know at a headend :). The same would apply to any of the HD channels that are compressed by pizza providers be it ESPN, USA or whatever.

Over compressed HD lite is good enough for Joe Sixpack, since he's half in the bag watching the game. He's lucky he see's anything clearly :eek: :D

Last edited:
The only reason iCarly was used as an example was because I had access to the C band encrypted Nick HD master feed and pizza's Nick HD lite feed at the same time, thanks to someone I know at a headend :). The same would apply to any of the HD channels that are compressed by pizza providers be it ESPN, USA or whatever.

Over compressed HD lite good enough for Joe Sixpack since he's half in the bag watching the game. He's lucky he see's anything clearly :eek: :D

You seem to know this so here is my question:

Will DBS providers have access in the future of software
that can give an uncompress signal quality HD one day?

I think E* could easily provide just as good of PQ that Cband has if people didn't just care about "how many channels i can get". It's like what would you rather have? 200 channels of Crap or 100 channels of quality. I'll take the quality over WFN, Ctrc and some other waste of space channels. But, the poll above indicates people want Quanity over quality. Sad

If they wanted they can pass along the original in digital form but they never will. More channels is a selling point be it as bad as it gets for most folk. That's where the buck is made. People like you and I who have seen the original HD feeds on C band are not the norm. Only ones who require the best such as us c band hobbyists or videophiles will be the ones who are bothered by squeezeOvision :rolleyes:

You seem to know this so here is my question:

Will DBS providers have access in the future of software
that can give an uncompress signal quality HD one day?

It's possible that something new may be developed in the future but is not currently available. You must understand the mentality of all the big media provides though. When something new comes along they don't look at it to provide quality, they look at how much they can make with it. Also they don't want John Q Public to have a perfect video source that they could record. Thats why there is so much copyguard protection currently in use. The regular Joe I believe will always be stuck with sub par quality, unless he goes to extremes to get the broadcast industry's signals.

I agree with you. BUT (and it's a big but), who decides which channels get dropped? Personally I never watch MTV/VH1, and they can go by the wayside. Think everyone would agree?

And before you point to the home shopping network, I'm guessing Dish either a) gets paid more to carry them or b) gets a better deal on "more popular" channels if they carry them.

The bottom line is you won't be able to please everyone.

The only reason iCarly was used as an example was because I had access to the C band encrypted Nick HD master feed and pizza's Nick HD lite feed at the same time, thanks to someone I know at a headend :).
Wait, time out. So now you want people to not only put up a dish (that will need to rotate in order to pick up many shows), but now they need to get decryption gear (which could vary based on providers)?

Again, I agree with you that compression will decrease the quality. However, you know even your C-band master feed is compressed, right? The HD signal coming out of a camera is 270mb. Once it gets put on satellite (the master) it's ~30mb. So you're ok with some compression?

How much $$ do you think needs to go into a single home setup for all the equipment to be able watch the shows the homeowner wants to see?

Sure the master is compressed on C band but it's not destroyed like the little dish companies do. You get BluRay quality on C band. Some of us have the big dishes installed from years ago so those costs were long ago. Over in the C band forums...people are getting old systems from people for little or free everyday. When they are set up they are enjoying the best for less. People that are in situations of can't put up a big dish, too lazy, or can't understand it are the ones who praise pizza. C band is not for Joe Sixpack. It's for the connoisseur just like a fine wine.

Can you please be a little more condescending? For being such a uppity connoisseur, I am surprised you are viewing on just a 32" 60Hz LCD. :rolleyes: And I don't think many people here are praising E*'s HD quality.
yea, hook you c band up a 50" plus tv and report back. my 1080p 32'' looks great too, it is the bigger sets you start to really see a difference IMO.

You have to admit that HD is nice when it is in combination with a great sound system and proper connections. Question is will the technology be able to keep up with the demand as other streaming technologies are advancing to meet that demand?

BUT (and it's a big but), who decides which channels get dropped?

That's easy. Make it a ala carte system. Where the customers pocket book decides what stays and what goes. I'm sure WFN will be gone first. Then FTV. After that CTRC or what ever it's called, along with LOGO and so on. :D:D:D

That's easy. Make it a ala carte system. Where the customers pocket book decides what stays and what goes. I'm sure WFN will be gone first. Then FTV. After that CTRC or what ever it's called, along with LOGO and so on. :D:D:D
But that doesn't help. Even if providers went to a true a la carte system, that wouldn't change bandwidth issues. Stations would still be uplinked (tying up bandwidth), you just may not see them at your location. It's not like someone with a "basic" package is seeing better quality than someone with HD Platinum and all the movie channels.

yea, hook you c band up a 50" plus tv and report back. my 1080p 32'' looks great too, it is the bigger sets you start to really see a difference IMO.

Go browse the C band forums. There are many who use 50" and larger tv's with a SD C band signal and it looks great. The bottom line is the quality isn't there with pizza and never will be. If that's all you ever see you cannot make a judgment call. Visit someone with the proper c band gear than make a judgment call.

I believe you, it's just that c band is not practical for most. I am lucky to be able to use the small dish here at my condo. ( it resides on a 16' pole in a bucket of cement)

also my 1 722k does way more than your stack of equipment.

I believe you, it's just that c band is not practical for most. I am lucky to be able to use the small dish here at my condo. ( it resides on a 16' pole in a bucket of cement)

also my 1 722k does way more than your stack of equipment.

I understand not all can get a c-band system because of where they live. DSS and cable are there only options so your at there mercy.

The message Im trying to get across is, people are misinformed thinking that the HD there paying for is the greatest. HD IMHO is more of a buzzword like Digital. Just because it's HD and Digital it don't mean it's the best. I have been looking at C band signals since 1987. If you look at the history of c band, all the high end home theater systems used it in the 90's because it was the only thing that could provide the quality to large tv's. That hasn't changed, C band being the broadcast standard must provide broadcast quality.

The OP was trying to get a message out to the DSS public to stop this downward spiral of quality that DSS has now. It seem's from the poll results that are shown, DSS subs are more interested in massive amounts of mindless garbage vs quality. The DSS public has spoken. There is always the alternative to those who need quality to make the hop to c band that can.

If that's all you ever see you cannot make a judgment call. Visit someone with the proper c band gear than make a judgment call.
I don't need to see the c-band signal that you seem to almost worship. I have OTA signals (which have no more or possibly even less compression than c-band) so I can compare E*'s network channels with those I get via antenna. As I have said before, I'm not happy with E*'s additional compression, but does it warrant putting up a 12-foot dish, buying a lot of new equipment, and having far less functionality than I do now? No, because the difference just isn't that substantial. That said, I want E* to provide better quality HD before they add any new channels.

the mack said:
my 1 722k does way more than your stack of equipment.
So true, and the 722 is undoubtedly MUCH easier to operate than that stack too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts