More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The following was sent to Dish Network retailers...

The way this is worded it appears that those with 61.5 dishes might lose some HD programming in the future.

HD Channels Launched on the 72.7° Orbital Location for Easter Arc customers- The additional channels were launched on the 72.7° orbital location, instead of the 61.5° orbital location, because in the future we plan to migrate core HD content to the 72.7° orbital location for Eastern Arc customers. We are aware that some existing customers will be impacted because of this and we are working to provide these customers with solutions. If you are contacted by an existing customer who is interested in receiving these additional HD channels, we have created a specific phone number for them to call – please advise customers to contact DISH Network directly at 888-701-8965.

Wow. It seems most people are being offered an upgrade for essentially $41 (DHPP, $15 tech visit, $25 DHPP cancel fee). It is bad enough to make pay to get more HD, but it is even worse to take more HD away. Dish better trade its position on paying for dish upgrades/repoints.

Alternatively, with E14 going up soon, might they pull stuff off 61.5 AND 129, moving it to 72.7 and 119? Then launch new stuff to 129 and 72.2? At least legacy customers would not loose HD they have now.

So the plans are to move all national hd content to 72.7 and then 61.5 will be used for spotbeams and I am guessing maybe internationals ,so no need for add on dish for 118. Then maybe they can move the DISH Latino packs to the 77 sat too, so you can have them along with eastern arc service. If I remember when they first launched the eastern arc service , you couldn't get the Latino packs if you had eastern arc.

Well this puts all subs on notice then. If you have mixed arc service today(110/119/61.5), you better make a choice soon to go with either western or eastern arc service and stop sitting on the proverbial fence . DISH is even giving a number to call if you want to upgrade. Glad DISH is finally giving an official notice so people can get themselves upgraded. Then the big hd switch will be complete by probably sometime next month or later in this year?

Last edited:
It'd be interesting to see what people who call that number will be told by the reps set up to handle this issue. Hopefully, Dish will do what is necessary to take care of their customers.

With finally gaining customers switching from D* I think its for sure worst timing possible to have to go through this especially for those who will lose channel, now those of us that this doesnt effect it doesnt really bother us.

I want to know what's going to be done about the lack of local channel service from 61.5 for the western part of the Scranton DMA. People in one of the other threads have said that they were given an EA dish with a wing dish for 119, enabling them to receive ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox in SD from 119 since the SD versions are only on 119, but that their receivers still try to receive PBS, CW, and MyNetwork from 61.5 and fail without trying 119.

So the plans are to move all national hd content to 72.7 and then 61.5 will be used for spotbeams and I am guessing maybe internationals ,so no need for add on dish for 118. Then maybe they can move the DISH Latino packs to the 77 sat too, so you can have them along with eastern arc service. If I remember when they first launched the eastern arc service , you couldn't get the Latino packs if you had eastern arc.

Well this puts all subs on notice then. If you have mixed arc service today(110/119/61.5), you better make a choice soon to go with either western or eastern arc service and stop sitting on the proverbial fence . DISH is even giving a number to call if you want to upgrade. Glad DISH is finally giving an official notice so people can get themselves upgraded. Then the big hd switch will be complete by probably sometime next month or later in this year?
Good advice! Dish wanted $95.00 when I called and I was told by the Rep the tech would do a realignment on my 61.5 that was back on 2/16. Dish needs to inform there personnel of there updates.By doing that it would put a lot less stress on there members who are in this situation.

Kenny $95 is if you don't get the maintenance plan. If you get the $6 maintenance plan it's a $15 upgrade. I still think it's crazy we should have to pay anything to get channels your paying for.

I find it very pathetic that dish is making their customers pay for an upgrade on channels they are already paying for. Charlie should do the upgrades free!! Dish should be contacting their customers not forcing the customers to contact them!!

What do I need to do to future proof!! Presently have a small mixture of Eastern and Western Arc, 119,110,61.5,129. Also have 118.7 disconnected. (Dish 1000+ & 500) Do I need to add 72.7? What about 77? Is 61.5 going to be replaced someday?

...and then 61.5 will be used for spotbeams and I am guessing maybe internationals ,so no need for add on dish for 118.....

I hope you are correct on this assumption.

I would hate to replace my two dish 110/119/61.5 with an EA 1000.4 dish only to find I need to add a second 118 dish for internationals in the future.

If you currently are receiving your programming on 119/110/61.5 and you call to get new HD programming, what they doing? Are they just adding 72.7 with with Dp44 switch or what?
Its hard to imagine they are putting another Dish on your roof.

Well, if there are more HD channels coming, I am certainly happy I paid the measly $15 to get 129 added. Dish is still the cheapest option available to me and offers the most HD channels, so I am not going to complain too much if I have to occasionally pay a little extra from time to time to get continuously improving service. With what I am saving over cable, I still come out way ahead.

To stay current with cell phones, computers, and other technologies you have to buy a new one every couple of years, and I don't consider satellite service any different.

Ted

Kenny $95 is if you don't get the maintenance plan. If you get the $6 maintenance plan it's a $15 upgrade. I still think it's crazy we should have to pay anything to get channels your paying for.

Quite a few members have reported free service calls. In the past, E* has not charged when subs were forced to do changeovers to maintain service caused by E*s changing their technology. In this instance, it appears E* did their normal communication routine where one part of the company went ahead and did something without communicating to another part of the company. A well-managed company would have thought out the repercussions of any such action and had a plan in place, communicated to those CSRs needing info to pass to subs so subs would be treated alike. It really isn't the fault of subs that they were installed with mixed arc configs. My last install was after EA was in place. E* simply would not install a 1000.4 at that time for existing subs, even with all ViP receivers.

I hope you are correct on this assumption.

I would hate to replace my two dish 110/119/61.5 with an EA 1000.4 dish only to find I need to add a second 118 dish for internationals in the future.
This is not going to happen, the 118.7 is where the internationals will remain. Everyone can access this satellite, Not everone can get the 129 or 61.5. Don't change your setups untill there is fact based information proving it. Right now the 61.5 location has some old broken satellites, Untill something gets put there to replace them, I doubt anything like Internationals will be put there.

Why do I get the feeling that when you call the "special number" you'll get someone who won't have the faintest idea what you're talking about? :)

Should I decide to upgrade I'll give the number a shot but in case they're clueless at the other end I'll just go for "Tech Support, please".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts