More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

hemi 6.1- I know what you are going through, my sister lives in York Co PA and has 7 ft of show in her front yard.

If I still lived in NY, like I did before the age of Dish, I'd be putting a series of electric strip heaters across the back of the dish and around the LNB's with an extension cord and inside the house switch to melt that freezing stuff off. As an engineer, I have always been inclined to design solutions to easy problems like signal loss due to snow buildup.

I have seen this question asked at least twice, but I have not seen the answer.

Can the 61.5 dish be moved to 72.7, or would I need further modification?

This way, I would keep 110/119, and not need to go completely to EA.

Just got off the phone with Dish tech support.

I currently have the 110/119/61.5 setup. I also have a DP301 mpeg2 receiver on my second TV.

To make a long story short, to get the new HD and keep my HD locals I will need to replace my wing dish with a 1k4. She told me I well also need to replace my DP301.

When I asked her if they could keep the dish 500 for the mpeg2 instead of replacing the receiver, she said they could not do it.

When I told her that there were reports on SatelliteGuys of people getting just that configuration she told me "they weren't allowed to" and that was the end of it.

Looks like if ever want to get any new HD from Dish it's going to be an expensive proposition.

Direct is looking better and better

hemi 6.1- I know what you are going through, my sister lives in York Co PA and has 7 ft of show in her front yard.

If I still lived in NY, like I did before the age of Dish, I'd be putting a series of electric strip heaters across the back of the dish and around the LNB's with an extension cord and inside the house switch to melt that freezing stuff off. As an engineer, I have always been inclined to design solutions to easy problems like signal loss due to snow buildup.
I'm going to invest in this I think, But right now I think much of it has to to with improper alinement, I hope.:confused: I don't mind cleaning it off every 4 or 5 hours if needed, But not every hour. It is a heavy wet snow, but the same snow is falling on my Phase III Directv 18x20 dish , as my 1000.4 dish thats bigger at 22x28.
And Guess which one only got cleaned off once all day? I'll give you a Hint, It starts with D and ends with TV
Guess which one had too be cleaned off about 4 times since Noon?
By the way we only have 3 inches of snow on the ground.

I took a bunch of pictures of my signal strength and dishes. I'll post them later.

Last edited:
When I told her that there were reports on SatelliteGuys of people getting just that configuration she told me "they weren't allowed to" and that was the end of it.
Makes sense, the whole reason this mess exists is because of the split arc configuration that some people have. Continuing to move forward with this type of configuration only extends the problem.

How? The receivers can log satellite reception back to Dish when they phone home. If you continue to allow split arc configurations, you'll perpetually have anomalies when you try and classify subs based on which satellites they are receiving.

The whole reason you're pursuing an upgrade is to get the new HD channels, right? DirecTV doesn't carry any of them.

OK, now I'm confused (it doesn't take much).

After three failed attempts (2 different installers never had the equipment he supposedly needed in the van, the third one simply never showed up), I'm going for Take 4 this weekend.

At first I was trying to get the dish added so I could go from 110/119/61.5 with two dishes to 110/119/129/61.5 with a bigger dish for the three main birds. Uh uh. Both installers said no dice (my fave.. the second one who said 129 "wasn't used anymore"). Whatever. Meanwhile I have resisted the Eastern Arc as I have a 722, a 622, a 211, and a 510 in use. Since the 510 is hooked up to an analog TV, I'm in no rush to add another $200 receiver (probably another 211 with an EDD), nor do I want them to re-up me for 2 years on my commitment (I'm saving that for my 922 upgrade when it becomes available). No prob says installer #2 (or #3 if you count the one who never showed up), ... he'll just leave the 110/119 in place for that receiver and run a 1000.2 which will feed the other three receivers. Seems shortsighted since I will eventually have to upgrade that one I'm sure, but whatever... Will this setup work? Can I have my cake and eat it too? Eastern Arc, while saving a few bucks with my daughter's old legacy DVR (and cheaper receiver fees)

Just got off the phone with Dish tech support.

I currently have the 110/119/61.5 setup. I also have a DP301 mpeg2 receiver on my second TV.

To make a long story short, to get the new HD and keep my HD locals I will need to replace my wing dish with a 1k4. She told me I well also need to replace my DP301.

When I asked her if they could keep the dish 500 for the mpeg2 instead of replacing the receiver, she said they could not do it.

Looks like if ever want to get any new HD from Dish it's going to be an expensive proposition.

IF and this is a big IF...you do not get any locals from sat located at 77 you may be able to change your skew on the 61.5 sat (providing it is a dish 500) then move it slighty to the west and get both sats 61.5 and 72. You will also need a DPP lnbf. Run cable from 110/119 sat and connect to input port on 61.5 / 72 sat. I am thinking this will work You will get a good signal when tweaked properly. Signal strength from 40s to 70s from both birds on the E. arc. You will need mpeg4 receiver to get HD programing. Other receivers will pull signals from 110/119 sats. I can verify the 61.5 / 72 setup will work. That is how I have my set up now. I do not have the 110/119 sat connected to the EA dish. I have cables from it (western arc dish) running directly to my mpeg 2 receivers. Has anyone else tried this? When the Dish Net installer came out to install the vip222 and a 1000.2 dish I told him not to install the 1000.2, just take the receiver inside and connect it. he did not undertand what I had done but saw that it worked...DUH !!!

Last edited:
One other quick point:

I honestly think Dish will come up with a free (most likely) / ridiculously cheap option for everyone to get the new HD by virtue of getting everyone converted to a single arc solution. That said, it's going to be a matter of how quickly the options come down the line. Large companies turn with the grace of an aircraft carrier (ie, they need to start turning miles before an obstacle), so until Dish gets a program setup to deal with the 110/119/61.5 setups the dish replacement is going to fall under the existing billing codes they have in the system that carry fees and restrictions.

It's already been reported that Dish has another project in the works for 110/119 to get converted to 8psk signaling (or maybe even straight to DVB-S2?), so my bet would be that there will be receiver replacement options coming down the line.

Of course, if you gotta have it right now, then absolutely yes, it could be an expensive proposition. Instant gratification usually is.

Makes sense, the whole reason this mess exists is because of the split arc configuration that some people have. Continuing to move forward with this type of configuration only extends the problem.

How? The receivers can log satellite reception back to Dish when they phone home. If you continue to allow split arc configurations, you'll perpetually have anomalies when you try and classify subs based on which satellites they are receiving.

The whole reason you're pursuing an upgrade is to get the new HD channels, right? DirecTV doesn't carry any of them.
My receivers aren't hooked up to the phone line.

As far as the HD programming goes, I was never one of those who complained about the pace of HD additions. if you don't believe me you can review my previous posts. The way I see it, by the end of the year both providers will have most, if not all, of the national HD's. The only difference will be in niche channels like the WFN (no offense to the fishermen out there). I have no problem waiting to get them.

However, now Dish is basically telling me that I will never get any new HD, ever, unless I drop what will probably be at least a couple hundred bucks, in addition to my monthly bill.

Everybody's situation is different. Do I want to go through the bother of changing providers. Not really. But with the way things are shaping up Direct is looking like the best option for me.

Any idea why E* is saying that Buffalo, N.Y. isn't in the footprint of the 72.7 satellite? I've been trying to get my folks upgraded and we are told they cannot receive 72 up there. Has anyone else had this happen? As near as I can tell from looking at the maps they should be fine. We have been told that they are working on a solution and we should 'check back at another time'. Pretty lousy way to treat a customer who has had AEP for as long as it's been offered.

For the posters who have MPEG-2 receivers and want to keep them hooked up to a Dish 500 while the MPEG-4 receivers on on the EA. It can be done.

I went through much stress last week when I scheduled a appointment and they said it can be done. The install Tuesday did squat. He said it could not be done. When I called Dish Network in anger even the nice lady said it could not be done. Not even five minutes later Dish Network tech supervisor calls me up and try's to offer me a solution. We decided on my original plan of having the three 510 MPEG-2 receivers stay on the Dish 500 and the one 612 MPEG-4 receiver hooked up to the EA. He said it could be done and I was scheduled someone on Wednesday.

Wednesday came and the installer did a excellent job. He ran new cable to my line and my Grandmothers. He even left the wing dish hooked up for the three 510's and put a new DP34 switch. My 612 was hooked up to the EA and now I get all the extra HD channels. Dish Network made sure that I was happy after the douche that came on Tuesday that did not want to do the job. They got me someone a higher up that did the right job.

He should get EA DISH

So what will they do for someone in an Eastern Arc market that has a mixture of receivers (522, 622, and 722)?
A buddy of mine has those, and is currently connected to 110, 119, 61.5 and 77 (Harrisburg HD Locals are on 77).

Will they swap out his 522 with a 622 (or 722)? And if so, will it be at no cost?

Or would they swap out the Dish 500 and replace it with a 1000.2 and give him 110, 119, 129 and 77? Again will it be at no cost?
He will do good to get them out to replace his dish or dishes for an eastern arc dish then he will get 61.5, 72, 77 satellites. This is what I have and I live in York,PA and I am getting all the channels. He would not be able to see the 129 sat in Harrisburg, PA. I have the 1000.4 dish.:)

One other quick point:

I honestly think Dish will come up with a free (most likely) / ridiculously cheap option for everyone to get the new HD by virtue of getting everyone converted to a single arc solution. That said, it's going to be a matter of how quickly the options come down the line. Large companies turn with the grace of an aircraft carrier (ie, they need to start turning miles before an obstacle), so until Dish gets a program setup to deal with the 110/119/61.5 setups the dish replacement is going to fall under the existing billing codes they have in the system that carry fees and restrictions.

It's already been reported that Dish has another project in the works for 110/119 to get converted to 8psk signaling (or maybe even straight to DVB-S2?), so my bet would be that there will be receiver replacement options coming down the line.

Of course, if you gotta have it right now, then absolutely yes, it could be an expensive proposition. Instant gratification usually is.
I hope you're right.

To be fair I don't think Dish expected E4 to go south so quick so I'm sure they're still in reaction mode.

I was planning on giving Dish some, but I'm talking in terms of weeks not months. By then E6 should be in position and they should have had enough time to figure out their next move.

IF and this is a big IF...you do not get any locals from sat located at 77 you may be able to change your skew on the 61.5 sat (providing it is a dish 500) then move it slighty to the west and get both sats 61.5 and 72. You will also need a DPP lnbf. Run cable from 110/119 sat and connect to input port on 61.5 / 72 sat. I am thinking this will work You will get a good signal when tweaked properly. Signal strength from 40s to 70s from both birds. You will need mpeg4 receiver to get HD programing. Other receivers will pull signals from 110/119 sats. I can verify the 61.5 / 72 setup will work. That is how I have my set up now. I do not have the 110/119 sat connected to the EA dish. I have cables from it (western arc dish) running directly to my mpeg 2 receivers. Has anyone else tried this? When the Dish Net installer came out to install the vip222 and a 1000.2 dish I told him not to install the 1000.2, just take the receiver inside and connect it. he did not undertand what I had done but saw that it worked...DUH !!!
Good suggestion.

Unfortunately my 61.5 Dish is a single, not a 500.

But thanks for the tip anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)