More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

Hi,

Installer coming tomorrow 8am-12pm to look at my set up, have 110/119/61.5. I can not receive 129 because of LOS so hoping to get EA on the 61.5 and keep the 110/119 for SD locals as the HD locals are only on 129. Johnstown/Altoona DMA.

I only have a VIP 722 so I think this is the right solution from what I have been reading.

Thanks for any replies.

Well Tech came out and basically said they could most likely do the EA but I could not keep my 119 for my locals. So I would have no SD or HD locals. 129 is def. out of the picture from LOS.

Of course there is at least 3 feet of snow still out there so have to wait for the weather to break.

He also said maybe I should just switch to Direct, but I still like the DIsh receivers better. Now to wait..and wait...

Well Tech came out and basically said they could most likely do the EA but I could not keep my 119 for my locals. So I would have no SD or HD locals. 129 is def. out of the picture from LOS.

Of course there is at least 3 feet of snow still out there so have to wait for the weather to break.

He also said maybe I should just switch to Direct, but I still like the DIsh receivers better. Now to wait..and wait...

It could be done.... 1000.4 for 61/72/77 and 119 fed in via the LNB port on the dish. But I bet dish is telling them not to do this since they want pure EA or WA installs.

Would you lose some locals that are SD only? I know some DMAs have the SD locals on EA, but if they offer them in HD they get rid of the SD feed since the receivers can down rez the HD with no issues.

I'd say go for it... I could care less about SD locals...and to be honest SD channels period.

It could be done.... 1000.4 for 61/72/77 and 119 fed in via the LNB port on the dish. But I bet dish is telling them not to do this since they want pure EA or WA installs.

Would you lose some locals that are SD only? I know some DMAs have the SD locals on EA, but if they offer them in HD they get rid of the SD feed since the receivers can down rez the HD with no issues.

I'd say go for it... I could care less about SD locals...and to be honest SD channels period.

People who have tried it here in the part of the Scranton market where the spotbeam on 61.5 doesn't reach have reported that their receivers will not switch over to 119 when they fail to get a signal on 61.5. So they can get ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox in SD since they're in SD on 119 only, but they can't get PBS, CW, or MyTV since they're in SD on 61.5 also.

I haven't heard back from any of them as to whether Dish has invented an authorized solution to get them all their locals plus the new HD channels. The only thing that comes to my mind is switching from 119/110/61.5 to 119/110/129. That still wouldn't get the locals in HD, but they're not getting them in HD now unless they have an oversized dish for 61.5. The fly in the ointment is that your chances of getting LOS to 129 are pretty poor if you live on the wrong terrain.

People who have tried it here in the part of the Scranton market where the spotbeam on 61.5 doesn't reach have reported that their receivers will not switch over to 119 when they fail to get a signal on 61.5. So they can get ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox in SD since they're in SD on 119 only, but they can't get PBS, CW, or MyTV since they're in SD on 61.5 also.

I haven't heard back from any of them as to whether Dish has invented an authorized solution to get them all their locals plus the new HD channels. The only thing that comes to my mind is switching from 119/110/61.5 to 119/110/129. That still wouldn't get the locals in HD, but they're not getting them in HD now unless they have an oversized dish for 61.5. The fly in the ointment is that your chances of getting LOS to 129 are pretty poor if you live on the wrong terrain.

They could just add a 72.7 setup to there current setup. You just need to change the LNB out on the 61.5 Dish, so it could get 72.7 also. That's what they did for me in Maine since I am in a similar problem.

They could just add a 72.7 setup to there current setup. You just need to change the LNB out on the 61.5 Dish, so it could get 72.7 also. That's what they did for me in Maine since I am in a similar problem.

I didn't know you could upgrade the current 500 (61.5) to have it get 72.7 also. I think I am going to wait on anything until the leaves come out unless Dish does something to speed it up.

I think that is the frustration, there is no guaranteed fix, a lot of could do's and maybe this might work.

Hopefully it all works out.

So you have 110/119 and 61.5/72.7? How does that work switch-wise? Is the 61.5/72.7 LNB just plugged into the input on the 110/119 LNB, or do you have an external switch? I only have one receiver, so I have no external switches.

So you have 110/119 and 61.5/72.7? How does that work switch-wise? Is the 61.5/72.7 LNB just plugged into the input on the 110/119 LNB, or do you have an external switch? I only have one receiver, so I have no external switches.

To have that combination you need a DPP44 switch. The 61.5/72.7/110/119 LNB outputs go to a DPP44 switch on 4 separate wires. The output of the switch can feed dish pro or legacy equipment.

That is not true. Nimiq5 at 72.7 was designed to cover the entire 48 CONUS states. And actually comparing the maps, Buffalo, NY has excellent coverage from 72.7, more power than half of the US. The only place hotter for 72.7 is the Southeast US.

Stupid question, maybe - but where are you finding coverage maps that acutually show the relative signal strength? The only thing I can find online is maps that show the general region covered by the sat.

Please explain about the 500+ reflector. Dish installed the 1000.4 dish last Saturday and all my signals are weak, 45 from 61.5, 36 from 72.7 and 19 from 77.
Dish is coming to adjust the 1000.4 on Saturday. How does that reflector work and is the 500+ dish about the same size as the 1000.4 dish? I might need the same solution.

Dish came and peaked my dish 1000.4 higher. I am now getting much stronger signals. He had a chart that listed what the signal levels should be for certain transponders on each satellite. He said the chart represented NY, NJ and parts of Pensylvania.

My signal strength at 61.5 is 72 for transponder 14, 64 for transponder 29, 52 for transponder 32. My signal strength at 72.7 is 52 for transponder 15, and transponder 17, 53 for transponder 17 and 19. My signal strength at 77 is 36 for transponder 16 and 39 for transponder 20, and 46 for transponder 21.

All my signal strengths were within seven points of the tech's chart. Three were higher, six were lower and one was even.

Last edited:
Did I hear what you said??

Yea, I agree; chances are the people who have the 110/119/61.5 setup are older, therefore less likely to visit the Internet or know this site even exists. As well, more people know what HD is than are likely to visit this site. So 40% might be a light estimate, but no one except, perhaps, Dish knows for sure.

Regardless, Dish finally seems to be implementing a plan to notify people; they probably planned to do it all along but got blindsided by the 61.5 TP failures (a guess, but an educated one). Now it's a matter of getting the fat new dish up there. :)

This just caught my eye and I had to respond. I really do not remember being carded when the 61.5/110/119 setup was installed at the house. I believe the deciding factor was my Buffalo, NY location rather than my age !!:D

That's OK, you mean the fact you lived in Buffalo prompted you to explore the Internet and find this site? :)

I think the statement that "younger people are, on average, likely to be more intensive Internet users than are older ones" is closer to the truth than "older people are, on average, likely to be more intensive Internet users than younger ones", although both statements are of course mere speculation.

I just got Dish in 2006 when I, like you, was no longer in my youth. But Dish has a large established base of subscribers who signed up years before who are not on EA. I would venture to say that many of them got into HD, although perhaps not the Internet or at least Satellite Guys.

Really makes no difference, Dish will do what Charlie wants them to do and we'll do what we want.

That's OK, you mean the fact you lived in Buffalo prompted you to explore the Internet and find this site? :)

I think the statement that "younger people are, on average, likely to be more intensive Internet users than are older ones" is closer to the truth than "older people are, on average, likely to be more intensive Internet users than younger ones", although both statements are of course mere speculation.

Speculation indeed! I'll be 66 in just a few days. I know countless people in their 60s and 70s who are just as internet savvy as I am, and I can play with the best of them, maybe even yourself.

Take your averages back to school, whippersnapper! :)

Speculation indeed! I'll be 66 in just a few days. I know countless people in their 60s and 70s who are just as internet savvy as I am, and I can play with the best of them, maybe even yourself.

Take your averages back to school, whippersnapper! :)

OK, let me correct that: younger people are, on average, more likely to HACK over the Internet. ;)

This reminds me of an insurance discussion on one of the automobile boards where the poster argued that insurance was a terrible idea because he knew plenty of people who never got into accidents yet kept paying premiums.

Respect your elders!

Just because I grew up using the Abacus and graduated to the Slide Rule, (this was of course before the age of electronic calculators), I am quite capable of using my laptop to surf the net while enjoying my “Senior Price” cup of coffee at McDonalds.:)

Any idea when they will start moving the HD that on 61.5 onto 72.7 also? When they do this, will they do it all at once or will it take some time to complete.

I hope they get this done soon, because I am get very poor signal to 61.5, but I am getting a pretty decent one to 72.7.

Josh

Any idea when they will start moving the HD that on 61.5 onto 72.7 also? When they do this, will they do it all at once or will it take some time to complete.

I hope they get this done soon, because I am get very poor signal to 61.5, but I am getting a pretty decent one to 72.7.

Josh

I do not think they will rush this. They probably have a lot of 61.5 with 110/119 dishes to change to either EA or WA out in the field.

I think it is more of a warning that if they suffer another E3 transponder failure the channels will instantely be uplinked to 72.7 with no notice. Also 72.7 will not have enough capacity, they will have to keep some on 61.5. 72.7 should end up with 16 TPs for national HD, matching 129, but they will also have to use 61.5/77 to hold what is on 110/119 if they want to keep the arcs balanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)