More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

Okay, I live in Middleville Michigan. (Approximately 20 miles to the south of Grand Rapids, MI) I currently have a two dish set up with a 110/119 and a 61.5. They are on two separate posts. Additionally, I have a Vip211 receiver upstairs and an old 301 receiver downstairs. I of course don't get HD on the downstairs receiver, but that's not an issue to me currently.

So now there is new HD and I'm a bit confused.

I need an upgrade, it appears that the upgrade will include at the minimum pointing a dish at either 129 or 72 along with a new receiver for downstairs.

Now the cost for the upgrade of the dish would be $100 unless I sign up for dish protection. Then it would be $15, plus a $25 cancellation fee when I cancel it. Is that about right?

For the new receiver, well ugg, cross that bridge when I get there. I may have a note on my customer file for a $99 credit due to an installer taking away a reciever they shouldn't have.

Will my locals (Grand Rapids, MI) only be on 61.5? Or are they replicated on one of the other satellites?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. And I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.

Bill J.
I'm in the same boat as you as far as the costs went and setup. There was a CEO email addy given here, or the other thread, and I sent one off and received a response and a tech will be out here tomorrow to set me up with the EA, complete with the replacement receiver for no cost. I suggest it.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as the costs went and setup. There was a CEO email addy given here, or the other thread, and I sent one off and received a response and a tech will be out here tomorrow to set me up with the EA, complete with the replacement receiver for no cost. I suggest it.
If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for them to respond to your email?

The following was sent to Dish Network retailers...

The way this is worded it appears that those with 61.5 dishes might lose some HD programming in the future.

The operative words are: "If you are contacted by an existing customer who is interested in receiving these additional HD channels..." That's a mighty big "IF" for most customers that are unaware of the new HD channels. This reminds me of when Starz HD was the first premium HD in MPEG4 and all us 811 owners with Starz were SOL and most did not even know about the Starz HD. I upgraded (purcha$ed) from a 5000 to an 811 for 8PSK and then a 622 for MPEG4. How much money did I really save over D*?

Which Dish setup has the best signal strength, Eastern or Western Arc? I live straight East of of the great Mississippi river in Illinois (St Louis area). I think the new Dish installs for this area is Eastern Arc. Presently have Western Arc setup with a Dish 1000+ pulling in 119, 110, 129, and 61.5 on a Dish 500. I am thinking of replacing the Dish 500 with a 1000.4 for 61.5, 72.7, and 77 Eastern Arc setup. This way if Dish does all this HD satellite switching in the future I should be covered. So I was just wondering if anyone know which is the best setup for the St. Louis area. Eastern or Western Arc.

I think the new Dish installs for this area is Eastern Arc. Presently have Western Arc setup with a Dish 1000+ pulling in 119, 110, 129, and 61.5 on a Dish 500. I am thinking of replacing the Dish 500 with a 1000.4 for 61.5, 72.7, and 77 Eastern Arc setup. This way if Dish does all this HD satellite switching in the future I should be covered. So I was just wondering if anyone know which is the best setup for the St. Louis area. Eastern or Western Arc.
What Satellite is your HD locals on?
Tune to one of your HD locals, and Press Info Button twice, and top left of the info box will tell you the satellite.

What Satellite is your HD locals on?
Tune to one of your HD locals, and Press Info Button twice, and top left of the info box will tell you the satellite.

Right now as I type, HD locals are coming in by 61.5. But, sometimes in the past when I have checked by using the info button they were coming in by 129. I haven't done a close check of them lately, but a couple of months ago I was checking just about daily. Some days they would be by 61.5 and then some days it was 129.

Well if they are currently on the 129, I would go with a 1000.2 setup.
Newer satellites, and you can keep the 1 dish solution even for internationals, All american Direct.
There is nothing to gain having the 72.7 or 61.5 over Western Arc.

Well if they are currently on the 129, I would go with a 1000.2 setup.
Newer satellites, and you can keep the 1 dish solution even for internationals, All american Direct.
There is nothing to gain over having the 72.7 or 61.5 over western Arc.

OK, thanks Hemi 6.1

Or stick with your 1000 Plus Setup.

OK, I think that is what I will do for now. From what I can tell, according to The List, I don't really need 61.5 connected any more since The Pentagon Channel (9405) is coming in on 129 and 61.5. It wasn't on 129 when I first joined Dish, just 61.5 and 148. It is the reason I had to install a wing Dish 500 to get 61.5. I was just thinking if the Eastern Arc was better I would try it out. Also, if Dish moves things around I would have 72.7 and 77 available if needed. It is really strange that the HD locals switch around between 61.5 and 129. Maybe something to do with signal strength. The only trouble I am having right now is the occasional recordings getting cut short on the 722k. There is another thread covering that issue. It appears there are others having the same problem. Thanks again for your help.

OK, I think that is what I will do for now. From what I can tell, according to The List, I don't really need 61.5 connected any more since The Pentagon Channel (9405) is coming in on 129 and 61.5. It wasn't on 129 when I first joined Dish, just 61.5 and 148. It is the reason I had to install a wing Dish 500 to get 61.5. I was just thinking if the Eastern Arc was better I would try it out. Also, if Dish moves things around I would have 72.7 and 77 available if needed. It is really strange that the HD locals switch around between 61.5 and 129. Maybe something to do with signal strength. The only trouble I am having right now is the occasional recordings getting cut short on the 722k. There is another thread covering that issue. It appears there are others having the same problem. Thanks again for your help.
Dish is never going to move anything other then maybe locals that would be exclusive to only Eastern Arc.
I can assure you National HD will not move off western Arc to Eastern Arc only, and vice versa.

Only thing that caused a problem to begin with was , Dish decided to add the HD on the 129,and 72.5 this time instead of the normal 129.61.5 that they always did in the past.
Well some customers in the East had 110,119,61.5 setups. As you can see , No HD for them.

But I can assure you Dish is Never going to add National HD channels to only the 72.7 and 77, and not any to the satellites in the Western Arc.
There is no need for Western Arc customers to have a wing dish of anykind pointing at the Eastern Arc Satellites. Its a waste of time and money.

Dish is never going to move anything other then maybe locals that would be exclusive to only Eastern Arc.
I can assure you National HD will not move off western Arc to Eastern Arc only, and vice versa.

Only thing that caused a problem to begin with was , Dish decided to add the HD on the 129,and 72.5 this time instead of the normal 129.61.5 that they always did in the past.
Well some customers in the East had 110,119,61.5 setups. As you can see , No HD for them.

But I can assure you Dish is Never going to add National HD channels to only the 72.7 and 77, and not any to the satellites in the Western Arc.
There is no need for Western Arc customers to have a wing dish of anykind pointing at the Eastern Arc Satellites. Its a waste of time and money.

That is good info that Dish will keep the National HD channels the same for both Arcs. My wife agrees with you on the waste of time and money. She already gives me hell for investing too much in Dish. But, I believe in backup systems. Having both Arcs would be nice to have if there is a breakdown someplace. LNB, satellite, troubles, etc, etc.

Only if it's a waste of time and money. My Dish 500 for 110/119 was replaced with a 1000.2. But the 61.5 dish was still there, so I asked the tech to connect it. Worst case, I might get an extra PI channel. But it didn't cost more than a few seconds.

That is why there is an IN port on the lnb for both eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish and the western arc 1000.2 sat dishes. You can hook any side sat in that you want to include it in your check switch. Whether it be a side sat for 118 internationals or a dish for 61.5 or 77 or 129 or 110 etc, etc. If you can install it you can have it. The only problems I had when I mixed the different arc configurations , was when I had locals on both arcs; 129/61.5. My ota timers wouldn't work with name based recording. Now I fixed that problem because I "moved" to a different town . So it doesn't effect me any longer.

That is why there is an IN port on the lnb for both eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish and the western arc 1000.2 sat dishes. You can hook any side sat in that you want to include it in your check switch. Whether it be a side sat for 118 internationals or a dish for 61.5 or 77 or 129 or 110 etc, etc. If you can install it you can have it. The only problems I had when I mixed the different arc configurations , was when I had locals on both arcs; 129/61.5. My ota timers wouldn't work with name based recording. Now I fixed that problem because I "moved" to a different town . So it doesn't effect me any longer.

I was running with 110, 119, and 61.5 and just recently connected 129 back up. My HD locals are coming in by 61.5 and 129 and so far no OTA timer issues. Last summer when there were several of us having the OTA timer issues, it was 118 in the mix that caused all my headaches. MikeD-C05, there are several of us having troubles with the 722k recordings being cut short. (See http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne.../197702-722k-playback-ending-prematurely.html) Could that possibly be caused by mixing the Arcs? However, I do recall having the problem a couple of times before I mixed the Arcs again adding 61.5. What do you think?

Only if it's a waste of time and money. My Dish 500 for 110/119 was replaced with a 1000.2. But the 61.5 dish was still there, so I asked the tech to connect it. Worst case, I might get an extra PI channel. But it didn't cost more than a few seconds.
The 61.5 is right where the 129 was 2 years ago. On life support.;)
If I could get the 129 in my area, I would never even mess around with the broken down Eastern arc crap. I'll watch my locals is SD.
Western Arc will soon have a nice string of Band New powerfull satellites. They already have 2 out of 3.
Eastern Arc gets all the left over crap.:(

The 61.5 is right where the 129 was 2 years ago. On life support.;)
If I could get the 129 in my area, I would never even mess around with the broken down Eastern arc crap. I'll watch my locals is SD.
Western Arc will soon have a nice string of Band New powerfull satellites. They already have 2 out of 3.
Eastern Arc gets all the left over crap.:(

The real 61.5 and 77 replacements are going up. Remember 61.5 is the way it is because of the launch failure. EA is slated to have all new satellites, they have 1 of 3 now.

I was running with 110, 119, and 61.5 and just recently connected 129 back up. My HD locals are coming in by 61.5 and 129 and so far no OTA timer issues. Last summer when there were several of us having the OTA timer issues, it was 118 in the mix that caused all my headaches. MikeD-C05, there are several of us having troubles with the 722k recordings being cut short. (See http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne.../197702-722k-playback-ending-prematurely.html) Could that possibly be caused by mixing the Arcs? However, I do recall having the problem a couple of times before I mixed the Arcs again adding 61.5. What do you think?

I am not sure. I had 110 set up before with my 1000.4 sat dish for about a year,till a couple of weeks ago. I saw some short recordings back then . Since I changed out my side sat for 129 , I haven't seen any of the short recordings. But the only way to tell for sure is to run with just western or eastern arc setups and see if that fixes the short recordings. If it doesn't , then it is a software glitch that needs to be worked on by DISH. I do know this much. When the short recordings happened , I noticed that it was when I had 4 things at at time being recorded . So maybe the receiver can't quite do all 4 things at a time without losing something. IN this case a recording that end prematurely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)