More on Dish HDCP

"NO HDCP on OTA. Different set of rules."
You sure about that ? What if NBC, ABC, and so on decide they want to "protect" their programming ?

I don't believe HDCP is allowed OTA with ATSC- it was set up that way. And the broadcast flag is dead (isn't it? :rolleyes:). If you broadcast OTA, no HDCP. But some subscription schemes over the air are probably exempt. Good for watching OTA. But I can't help but wonder what OTA will be like 10 years from now. And when/if they in fact develop something to spread DRM/copy blocking or downrezzing to OTA.

I just finished a long discussion with Echostar/Dish executive office folks. As Scott indicated, Dish is trying to avoid all use of HDCP. However, what it looks like for now is that sometime next year certain Pay for View providers will require the HDCP protection of their content. Dish knows of no impact on regular subscription HD services.

I will stay in contact with Dish on this. Please post any questions you would like me to follow-up on.

Bob

Good - my 27" Panasonic TAU set from 2004 does not have HDMI or DVI, only component inputs for 1080i. Hopefully this means I can still watch Mythbusters in HD after the changeover :D .

I never watch PPV and don't subscribe to any of the movie channels.

It looks like its coming folks, and if your HDTV only has component inputs some of your HD will be down resed to the "Next best image" possible because of the protected content.

Well, since HDMI has NEVER worked with my Vizio (I've had both a 942 and a 622), with or without HDCP, I guess this affects me zero. :(

My definition of 'current' based on circulation of the receivers and Dish support today and so far tomorrow - software updates, replace/fix by user's call to Dish.

PLEASE. Don't turn reality into SCHOLASTIC about words.

And lets return back to the TOPIC.

One of you touched on it earlier in the thread when they mentioned "Fair Use" and that's what this is really all about - eliminating it.

Hollywood has never gotten over the beta-max decision and has been steadily trying to get it effectively nullified ever since.

The past 10 years have been an exciting time for consumers in terms of video electronics but along with it there has been steady pressure and varied attempts to regain and tighten control over content.

The broadcast flag, DRM, HDCP, etc have all been about getting total media control back to those that create it.

Ideally they would have you pay something for everything that entertains you, each and every time you use it.

In exchange for better quality entertainment they want total control. No copying - period - even backups for purchased content. Oh they may not (can't) go so far as to take mediocre (480i) archiving away but you can bet unless there's a major uproar, they'll effectively limit any kind of digital copying (PVR included) that they're not getting a piece of the action on.

At normal viewing distance, it will be hard to tell between 1080/720 compared to 480p content on a 27 inch.

You know, I thought that too until I did some comparisons between 1080i and 480p. There is a noticeable difference, especially when I am sitting less than 10 feet from the set. One big difference, though, is that when the HD output of my 622 is set to 1080i I can clearly see a faint horizontal bar through the picture about 2/3 of the way up. It goes away when I have the output set to 480i or 480p. I thought it was a problem with my original 622 but is also apparent on my new one. I suspect that would not be an issue if I used an HDMI connection. It seems to be some sort of bleed-through from TV2.

I purchased a HDMI switch today, and will be getting it soon.

To those who use it already, I have a question:

Does it affect the PQ compared to straight HDMI connection?

I purchased a HDMI switch today, and will be getting it soon.

To those who use it already, I have a question:

Does it affect the PQ compared to straight HDMI connection?

Good question!! I am thinking about doing the same. I had my 622 connected to my 2002 Sony RPTV via component cables since my HD-A2 was using up the one available DVI-HDCP connection. I swapped the two with all the DRM talk so I could make sure the 622 recognized the HDCP (it did-thankfully).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)