More on PBS HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgothard72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Jemison, Alabama, United States
This is the email response I got from DTV when asked about Birmingham AL PBS HD:

We've got some good news for fans of PBS: We are now offering PBS HD in 14 markets across the nation and we plan on adding more before the end of the year. You'll find more information in our press release here: http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=352047
In addition, we're working with PBS to create a PBS video on demand feature that will allow you to watch your favorite shows anytime you like.
The details of the upcoming markets and video on demand are still being determined, so stay tuned to directv.com to learn more.

I guess we were suppose to get PBS on demand? That was posted last December!

According to DIRECTV HD Local Channels and RSNs they currently have 85 HD PBS stations up on local into local service.
Interesting that they only have one PBS column for each locality. In my area, Direct carries 3 PBS stations in HD.

ETA: Looking at the list, they did put all three stations in the one column (Los Angeles).

Attachments

• Locals.jpg
    Locals.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 191
This is the email response I got from DTV when asked about Birmingham AL PBS HD:

We've got some good news for fans of PBS: We are now offering PBS HD in 14 markets across the nation and we plan on adding more before the end of the year. You'll find more information in our press release here: http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=352047
In addition, we're working with PBS to create a PBS video on demand feature that will allow you to watch your favorite shows anytime you like.
The details of the upcoming markets and video on demand are still being determined, so stay tuned to directv.com to learn more.

I guess we were suppose to get PBS on demand? That was posted last December!

That doesn't make any sense. That press release is a year old. They have APT in Huntsville, and the Pensacola PBS in HD in Mobile. APT told me by email 4 months ago they were ready and the holdup was DirecTV. If they have APT in Huntsville, what possibly could be the holdup to get it in Birmingham and Mobile? It's the exact same feed.

Interesting that they only have one PBS column for each locality. In my area, Direct carries 3 PBS stations in HD.

Those are sub channel stations. We have 3 in Seattle also although DTV only provides service to the main channel. I doubt you will be seeing any sub channels stations for a long time if ever.

The 3 network channels in Seattle also have up to 2-3 sub channels that also are not being carried. There is no way that DTV can carry all these sub channels across the USA.

That doesn't make any sense. That press release is a year old. They have APT in Huntsville, and the Pensacola PBS in HD in Mobile. APT told me by email 4 months ago they were ready and the holdup was DirecTV. If they have APT in Huntsville, what possibly could be the holdup to get it in Birmingham and Mobile? It's the exact same feed.

Actually, Mobile has APT in HD now too. It might be a bandwidth issue. I'm not sure which spotbeam B-ham locals are on and which if any cities share the same spot.

I have a question about the picture and wonder if any one has seen what I'm seeing.
I was watching the News Hour with Jim Lehrer , on our locaL PBS station for a few minutes last night, through Directv, and at the top of the picture, I could see what looked like horizontal white lines once in a while.
Then I started the watching the National Park series, which had been recorded, and I could see the same thing. It was especially noticeable when the camera would be panning down.
I haven't noticed it on any other channel.

Those are sub channel stations. We have 3 in Seattle also although DTV only provides service to the main channel. I doubt you will be seeing any sub channels stations for a long time if ever.

The 3 network channels in Seattle also have up to 2-3 sub channels that also are not being carried. There is no way that DTV can carry all these sub channels across the USA.
Only one is a sub channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts