More Outages After Switching to EA

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Since being switched over to Eastern Arc, I seem to get MUCH more outages due to clouds. I live about 60 miles due north of NYC and have all 722 receivers. What could be causing this? Are the sats at a shallower angle than before ?

I heard that the signal levels on EA are lower than on WA, but your dish shouldn't go out because of clouds. Sounds to me like it needs to be re-peaked.

No problem here in WNY. My experience last summer was that I had less rain fade than I did with my older set up. I only lost signal once over the winter from snow/ice.

Not normal, so you need to have it checked/realigned. EA for me does go out a little more or slightly longer than the WA, but only during heavier rain etc...

Yea in the past it would only go out during VERY bad storms. I'll check the signal when I get home, it wasn't working this morning.

Since being switched over to Eastern Arc, I seem to get MUCH more outages due to clouds. I live about 60 miles due north of NYC and have all 722 receivers. What could be causing this? Are the sats at a shallower angle than before ?

Which dish are you using is it the 1K.4 EA?.That's the largest dish(reflector) so far and should give you the best results against rainfade.All in all it sounds like you need an alignment which is covered under the service plan for $15..If you still have rainfade problems after an alignment,upgrading your dish to the latest dish,the 1K.4EA is also covered under the service plan for $15..Good Luck!:)

Thanks guys! Matt, what satellites am I on now with EA and what kind of signal strength should I be getting?

Thats Normal.

You should see if Dish will allow your Tech to install the 500+ reflector, its bigger , but will solve many of your signal issues with Eastern arc.
Thats a standard practice in North Eastern PA.

They call it a 1000.5 Some of the Members here use them.

Signal averages for NYC DMA on varying transponders:

61.5 - 46-60
72.7 - 55-56
77 - 43-49

The minimum strength threshold that techs have to meet is even lower (about 10 points on each). I would say your signal strengths are average for the area, but not phenomenal.

Thanks guys. I'll wait and see if I keep having problems and then go from there.

I just went thru this today Dish had to come out a 3rd time. I will say a BIG thank you to TonyT of Dish IRT he got me the 3rd service call when normal tech support channels refused to do anything for me.

Chris the tech from Dish Network Service office in Pembroke,NH came out and we ended moving the 1k4 dish to a area where I could access it in the event of snow. (previous install of EA dish was on roof) He changed out the dish and lnb, found where the last tech failed to hookup the groundblock to the grounding rod. And he took the extra time to align the dish for the absolute best possible signal.

Very professional job and just a overall nice guy to work with!! Time will tell if this cures the problem with snow and rain fade. I personally think still that the EA dish size is too small for the New England area. But I think everything that could be done has been done.

I gained 3-5 "points" across the board signal wise. On 61.5 spotbeam 13 (Burlington VT locals) I get 58. Tr 21 61.5 and 72 I get 57 and 58 respectively.

Thank You TonyT from Dish IRT and Chris from Dish local office for everything and lets hope this cures alot of the snow/rain fade.

Signal averages for NYC DMA on varying transponders:

61.5 - 46-60
72.7 - 55-56
77 - 43-49

The minimum strength threshold that techs have to meet is even lower (about 10 points on each). I would say your signal strengths are average for the area, but not phenomenal.

Hemi has anyone done a before and after comparison with the reflector swap? If so could you or someone here post their results.

Also was any drilling required to get the reflector to fit?
Thanks
Bob

Thats Normal.

You should see if Dish will allow your Tech to install the 500+ reflector, its bigger , but will solve many of your signal issues with Eastern arc.
Thats a standard practice in North Eastern PA.

They call it a 1000.5 Some of the Members here use them.

Well, I have the same problem this morning "Complete Signal Loss" Error message 015. Then "Acquiring Signal" Error 535.Did a hard reset on all receivers, check switch test "Warning" Error 836 you have fewer satellites than previously detected.

Okay so when I did a hard reset of the receiver that supplies power to the switch all was okay. Could it have something to do with the switch ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)