More Than One Digital Cable Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

UAL123

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
I currently subscribe to Digital Cable from Time Warner with one digital cable box. I have 4 more TV's that I want to connect. My question is, can I buy 4 Scientific Atlanta 2100's off of ebay for my other TV's instead of getting the boxes from Time Warner and paying lease fees for them? I would think this would be legal since I would be still paying for digital cable service and one box.

No. They authorize the boxes and they won't work unless you get them from your local TW office. I tried to do the same thing with a cisco cable modem and they wouldn't allow it. they want the extra lease fee's I'm afraid. who know's though, you could call your local TW office and see but I'm pretty sure it's a no go.

It may be 100% legal for you to try this but it's their system and they do NOT have to allow the boxes access. Don't waste your money.... I've never heard of any cableco in the US that allows it.

the problems is in buying these boxes off Ebay, most of them (not all) are boxes that was not returned to the cable operator. they are then considered stolen and another provider will not authorize any box that could have been taken from another provider or even have a balance left on it. then again some could be from a bad employee that is trying to make a quick buck.

If the seller is from Canada though, they do allow customers do buy set-tops so they certainly can sell them later. Again though, nothing says a US-based cableco has to allow the box on their system.

Yes, we allow our customers to purchase thier own equipment, but we discourage it due to the fact that if something goes wrong with it, we won't support it since it is customer owned. that said, it is better just to pay the additional monthy fee per box so that we will fully support it. as for buying them from ebay, some may be stolen or non returns and will not work as they are flagged in the time warner system as lost equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)