More than one use for a solid dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
A couple days ago, when I was putting my 90CM Fortec back up, after working on my SG2100, I was connecting the coax's to the lnbf when I heard a rustling noise seemingly coming from the dish. I stood up, but the noise immediately stopped. Bent over again to work on the lnbf, and again I heard the noise, a rustling noise, with some bird tweets, etc.
I finally figured out that the dish was aimed just above a big maple tree, and the wind was blowing the leaves at the top of the tree around, and there were some birds chirping up there, and when I bent over, my ear was pretty much at the focal point for reflection from the top of that tree. It was pretty neat, I could move my head just a few inches, and I couldn't hear anything, but putting my ears right at the proper point, and the sound was quite loud.
So if anyone has a spare dish, and wants to spy on their neighbors or something, you can use the dish for sound amplification too. Just like those guys who roam the sides of the NFL games with the little dishes.

I have also noticed this when tuning my 1.2 meter dish :)

Just like those guys who roam the sides of the NFL games with the little dishes.

I was thinking about the same thing when reading your post,
At a science museum around here there are two big dishes pointed at each other where you can sit at the focal point and talk to a person across the room.

progress:

Next thing ya know, Sadoun will come out with a line of 40mm microphones!
... soon to be followed by the other Gold Sponsors, and their competing models, with higher sensitivity, lower noise, and built-in pre-amps!

I'm holding out for a blue one. Single channel. - :D
Or maybe an orange one. Stereo! - :eek:

Next, one of 'em will come out with the Bullet line, and a two-mic bracket, to follow both sides of a distant conversation! - :up

Last to the party, they'll all trot out their wide band models, including a small mic for crisp highs, and a large-cone mic to get that realistic bass! - :rolleyes:

Two opposed dishes 100' or so apart are popular attractions at kids science museums. Edmund Scientific sells a plastic dish with a mic and headphones.

I remember playing with dishes like this at a science museum in Hot Springs when I was younger. Same principle as a parab mic.

And I'm guessing the larger the dish the better the gain............hmmm........I've seen a couple of solids around.........but I don't have to spy on the neighbor, his wife comes and tells us every time she's mad at him!;)

Next, one of 'em will come out with the Bullet line, and a two-mic bracket, to follow both sides of a distant conversation! - :up

Along with the two-mic bracket you would have to have a skew control to accurately track both sides of the conversation. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)