morse code on c band audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
this is wierd

alot of c band analog channels, if you tune the audio up, you hear morse code, what is this for?

also what other analog audio is up there?

The code is identifies the broadcaster or the satellite ID beacon ..... Try copying the dots and dashes and determine the broadcaster or the satellite.... it really is not very difficult as the code repeats.

There used to be many analog audio services, but most have gone digital.

The code is identifies the broadcaster or the satellite ID beacon ..... Try copying the dots and dashes and determine the broadcaster or the satellite.... it really is not very difficult as the code repeats.

There used to be many analog audio services, but most have gone digital.

This was one of the fun things I used to do back in the analog days. It was part of the reason I got my morse code endorsement, I was curious what the beacon ID's were.

it could still be done today, if you had a 30-60 foot dish, you could buy a Band Upconverter, and take out anything out there

but a lot of people would get pissed there game is now static, and you could face some time in the clinker

if i had a buc, i always have wanted to bounce something off a unused transponder, for a minute or so which i think would be legal, since no one else is using it, and it wouldnt be a permanet channel

but i dont have $50,000 for uplinking equipment, so thats just a dream

I think that ham radio operators use "moon bounce" so check into that. There are lots of packet radio tnc' (terminal node controllers) available you can decode that cw and other types of audio. Also there are computer programs that will decode digital transmissions. I ran packet radio for years and also pks, slow scan tv and a host of other. very fun hobby. I found sstv the most fun. You can pick a used tnc for a small price. If you are looking for a multi mode (packet, sstvv, psk, rtty, get one that is multi mode) Just hook up to your audio line and to computer.
it could still be done today, if you had a 30-60 foot dish, you could buy a Band Upconverter, and take out anything out there

but a lot of people would get pissed there game is now static, and you could face some time in the clinker

if i had a buc, i always have wanted to bounce something off a unused transponder, for a minute or so which i think would be legal, since no one else is using it, and it wouldnt be a permanet channel

but i dont have $50,000 for uplinking equipment, so thats just a dream

I think that ham radio operators use "moon bounce" so check into that. There are lots of packet radio tnc' (terminal node controllers) available you can decode that cw and other types of audio. Also there are computer programs that will decode digital transmissions. I ran packet radio for years and also pks, slow scan tv and a host of other. very fun hobby. I found sstv the most fun. You can pick a used tnc for a small price. If you are looking for a multi mode (packet, sstvv, psk, rtty, get one that is multi mode) Just hook up to your audio line and to computer.

I used to do a lot of packet myself, and I have a PK232 multi mode tnc. It wouldn't decode that code on the analog channels for some reason. I think the tones just didn't quite match what it was expecting. With real ham CW, you can change the tone to match by tuning the receiver, but with tones on FM, they don't change tone. My PK232 did do very well on regular ham CW, as I used it to send/receive over HF at something like 90 wpm, which is so fast it sounds like RTTY. But for some reason, it just wouldnt do that satellite code. I also have one of those little receive only all mode things... I can't remember if that worked or not. I know that I finally got something that DID work, but I think it was actually a computer program that took the audio via a sound card.
Anyway, I was quite dissappointed that my PK232 all mode didn't work.

Years ago I downloaded a shareware program (can't remember it's name) because I was curious as to what the morse code was in the analog broadcasts. I connected the audio from the receiver to my computer and there it was.............kind of an anti-climax as I was expecting something like news or perhaps programming info.
I'm sure there are still morse code reading programs available online if you look for them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)