Most cost affective fta receiver that can tune in Shepard's Chapel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Shepard's Chapel on transmits one channel. The preprogrammed transponder was only temporary with 3 channels and is no longer active.

Just scanned 99w Galaxy 16 C-band on a DJ-1997. Shepard's Chapel scans in as "SC HD Feed 1" and is on:
TP Frequency: 4006
Polarity: V
Symbol Rate: 5833

The Manhattan 1997 does not have a Pilot ON/OFF selection.

Does your feedhorn have a blue color servo motor for polarity control or did you update the feedhorn to a new LNBF? If the feedhorn still has a servo motor, are you using your 450i as a polarity controller? If so, is the polarity set to Vertical? If the feedhorn has a servo motor, but you are not using the 450i, manually input the above frequency and symbol rate, but set the LNB polarity to H (to supply the LNB with the proper 18V). No decimals are entered, only 4006.

METV Ozarks channel is on 99w, but the METV network feeds are on 101w. What other channels are scanned? Are you sure that you are on the 99w satellite?

Last edited:
Shepard's Chapel on transmits one channel. The preprogrammed transponder was only temporary with 3 channels and is no longer active.

Just scanned 99w Galaxy 16 C-band on a DJ-1997. Shepard's Chapel scans in as "SC HD Feed 1" and is on:
TP Frequency: 4006
Polarity: V
Symbol Rate: 5833

The Manhattan 1997 does not have a Pilot ON/OFF selection.

Does your feedhorn have a blue color servo motor for polarity control or did you update the feedhorn to a new LNBF? If the feedhorn still has a servo motor, are you using your 450i as a polarity controller? If so, is the polarity set to Vertical? If the feedhorn has a servo motor, but you are not using the 450i, manually input the above frequency and symbol rate, but set the LNB polarity to H (to supply the LNB with the proper 18V). No decimals are entered, only 4006.

METV Ozarks channel is on 99w, but the METV network feeds are on 101w. What other channels are scanned? Are you sure that you are on the 99w satellite?

Feedhorn has a blue color servo motor. Don't know if it is set to Vertical. (Need to reconnect a couple of cables to get on screen display). So I guess the Manhattan receiver does not change polarities? (Sorry I'm not technology inclined.) I thought I was getting vertical polarity programming with at least six ABC feeds showing.up. Don't remember if Live Well Network feeds were found.

I am not sure if I am on 99w...maybe getting some spill over on 101w? This past weekend I picked up an Indy Car racing feed and a Sailing feed using the blind scan feature. As far as other channels scanned.....A couple of NBC feeds, THIS tv, Cosi Tv, fetv, a movie station, and a bunch of religious stations. Many of these stations were duplicated on other channels--58 channels on all. (Checking sathint.com, I get most if not all the horizontal feeds listed).

What gives me hope is what you suggested in bold! Could it be as simple as changing the H to a V? Can't wait to go home and try it. I have been dreading having to tweak the dish especially as old as it is. Feedhorn sits at least 20 feet off the ground on a pole mounted on a hill side. Would need to set up scaffolding to work on and there is no longer BUD support here in Fairbanks. I have this irrational fear of the actuator arm snapping as I try to bump the dish a few points to the east or west and seeing the BUD flop over and thus the final death of this hobby.

I am sure the polarity is currently set to horizontal. ABC 2, ABC 3, ABC 4 are on 4140 VERTICAL 30000. ABC 1, ABC 5, ABC 7, ABC 11 are on 4140 HORIZONTAL 30000. The channels are doubled and the same channel is logged on both horizontal and vertical polarities as the receiver doesn't know that the polarity isn't changing. Probably best to do a factory reset to delete these incorrect transponders and channels, then rescan.

The polarity servo is controlled via a three wire + shield bundle. The polarity servo was controlled by your 450i analog receiver (5v/Grnd/Pulse terminals). Are you using the 450i to position the dish? If so, also continue to use the 450i to control the polarity servo. To scan or watch horizontal or vertical transponders,switch between an even and odd channel. Not an easy or elegant way to control the dish and polarity, but it will work.

The Manhattan DJ-1997 does not have this type of connection to control a servo or to position the actuator motor. You might consider the Titanium Satellite ASC1 controller for $180 (minus the SatelliteGuys member discount), which will interface with your DJ-1997 to automatically position the actuator motor and change the polarity servo.

A slightly cheaper way to provide automatic dish positioning and polarity control: For about $100 - $125, you could change the servo feedhorn to a LNBF and the DJ-1997 will directly change the polarity via voltage in the coax. The actuator motor could be controlled via a Vbox or Gbox controller.

I am sure the polarity is currently set to horizontal. ABC 2, ABC 3, ABC 4 are on 4140 VERTICAL 30000. ABC 1, ABC 5, ABC 7, ABC 11 are on 4140 HORIZONTAL 30000.

The polarity servo is controlled via a three wire + shield bundle. The polarity servo was controlled by your 450i analog receiver (5v/Grnd/Pulse terminals). Are you using the 450i to position the dish? If so, also continue to use the 450i to control the polarity servo. To scan or watch horizontal or vertical transponders,switch between an even and odd channel. Not an easy or elegant way to control the dish and polarity, but it will work.

The Manhattan DJ-1997 does not have this type of connection to control a servo or to position the actuator motor. You might consider the Titanium Satellite ASC1 controller for $180 (minus the SatelliteGuys member discount), which will interface with your DJ-1997 to automatically position the actuator motor and change the polarity servo.

A slightly cheaper way to provide automatic dish positioning and polarity control: For about $100 - $125, you could change the servo feedhorn to a LNBF and the DJ-1997 will directly change the polarity via voltage in the coax. The actuator motor could be controlled via a Vbox or Gbox controller.
I will use the 450i to position the dish if I have to. Right now my GI450 was last set at G4 (now G16) transponder 16...which was the channel that Shepard's chapel was last seen on C Band analog. So if what you say is true, since we know we are on the horizontal polarity, if I change the GI450 to transponder 15 or 17 then do a blind scan...I should pick up all the vertical polarity channels on 99w, but lose all the horizontal channels scanned, but if I switch back to transponder 16 or 14 I will lose the vertical polarity channels and get the horizontal one back without a rescan?

What if I just do what you said in the previous post and manually scan 4006 using the H for polarity and 5833. What happens to all the channels that I am getting now? Do they disappear until I do another blind scan?

The current channels have been scanned on the correct polarity and then scanned again with the wrong polarity. I would simply do a factory reset and start over.

Scan one polarity at a time. Example: Put the 450i on an odd channel and set the Manhattan to only scan vertical polarity, then place the 450i on an even channel and set the Manhattan to only scan the horizontal polarity.

When you want to watch a channel on a vertical polarity, set the 450i to an odd channel. When you want to watch a channel on a horizontal polarity, set the 450i to an even numbered channel.

The current channels have been scanned on the correct polarity and then scanned again with the wrong polarity. I would simply do a factory reset and start over.

Scan one polarity at a time. Example: Put the 450i on an odd channel and set the Manhattan to only scan vertical polarity, then place the 450i on an even channel and set the Manhattan to only scan the horizontal polarity.

When you want to watch a channel on a vertical polarity, set the 450i to an odd channel. When you want to watch a channel on a horizontal polarity, set the 450i to an even numbered channel.

Reactions: Tundracat

A work around that I can live with! Now I got to figure out how to do a factory reset. I think I saw it in one of the menu functions. How do you blind scan doing one polarity? Is it intuitive? (I go home in an hour....hopefully I will figure it out...I can't wait.) Thanks for staying up so late. You must live on the west coast!

Yes, I am on the West Coast, in Northern California.

I sent you on a wild goose chase! I just checked and the DJ-1997 does not have the ability to separately blind scan only the Horizontal or Vertical. BUMMER! Most receivers offer this ability and it would be quite easy for the programmer to add the function to the install menu. The lack of the ability to seperatly scan by polarity will complicate the manual polarity control with the 450i as I previously mentioned. The DJ-1997 will double scan each transponder and each channel on both polarities when in the Blind Scan mode. This will be super confusing to sort out this mess, but it is what it is! Sorry!

The only option to avoid duplicate channel scans with a Manhattan DJ-1997 and the servo controlled feedhorn is to use a servo motor controller. There is a kit sold on Rick's Satellite to convert the DJ-1997 voltage control to work with the polarity servo motor. You still would need to manually position the dish with the 450i. Personally, I would go with the ASC1 that automatically controls both the dish positioning and the polarity servo.

We figured out why Shepard's Channel wasn't scanning, but also opened up a can of worms! Best of luck as you decide how you wish to watch TV! :)

Yes, I am on the West Coast, in Northern California.

I sent you on a wild goose chase! I just checked and the DJ-1997 does not have the ability to separately blind scan only the Horizontal or Vertical. BUMMER! Most receivers offer this ability and it would be quite easy for the programmer to add the function to the install menu. The lack of the ability to seperatly scan by polarity will complicate the manual polarity control with the 450i as I previously mentioned. The DJ-1997 will double scan each transponder and each channel on both polarities when in the Blind Scan mode. This will be super confusing to sort out this mess, but it is what it is! Sorry!

The only option to avoid duplicate channel scans with a Manhattan DJ-1997 and the servo controlled feedhorn is to use a servo motor controller. There is a kit sold on Rick's Satellite to convert the DJ-1997 voltage control to work with the polarity servo motor. You still would need to manually position the dish with the 450i. Personally, I would go with the ASC1 that automatically controls both the dish positioning and the polarity servo.

We figured out why Shepard's Channel wasn't scanning, but also opened up a can of worms! Best of luck as you decide how you wish to watch TV! :)

I followed your work around. Did a factory default. Turned on the 450i and put it on an odd channel. Blind scanned and received the horizontal polarity channels. (These are the channels that scanned in when the 450i was turned off, by the way.). Then I changed to an even channel on the 450i and blind scanned and low and behold I saw the 4006V5833 show up on the screen and soon thereafter SC HD showed up as well as Living Now Networks and I knew that the vertical polarity channels scanned in, Of course, every channel duplicated itself as you explained earlier, but low and behold while channel surfing I found Shepard's Chapel with a 53-60 quality reading. I can't tell you how excited I was after being in despair for a few days. You especially made my wife happy. Most importantly you gave us our church back. One that doesn't beg for money, can be enjoyed from the comfort of home, chapter by chapter verse by verse and then explained in layman terms with some additional clarification from the manuscripts. No fluff...just straight on truth! I can't thank you enough. If you lived nearby we would of bought you dinner! You da Man!!!

The quirk I found with this work around is this: When I turned off the 450i while on the vertical polarity channels, after 10-15 mins I would lose all the digital signals on that side. So I turn the 450i back on and the signals come back. I never turned on the 450i when I blind scanned last week. Any idea why that happened? Does the servo motor, when turned off, switch back to the horizontal polarity position. A position that it is familiar with after years of lack of use? The simple fix is keeping 450i on 24/7. .

Glad that we could help! Glad that the church is open again! :)

Sorry, can't speak to how the 450i controls the servo after power down. Never have had the need to check the servo control positioning after an analog IRD is powered off. Evidently, the 5v/300mA power bleeds off in 15 minutes, but technically, the servo should not move if no power or PCM signal is present..

To simplify for daily operation using the 450i for polarity servo control, delete the incorrect channels.

Now I am ready for the next phase. I have never owned or shopped for an external hard drive. I would like to use it as a DVR. I am all open for suggestions for something compatible with the Manhattan DJ 1997 with the proper cords. Do they make them the size of small book too? Or are they the size of let's say a DISH Network satellite receiver? I would prefer something small.

Any USB 2.0 or 3.0, 2TB or smaller drive with external power supply will work. If you plan on doing any HD recording, buy a 2TB as the higher quality HD channels can use 5GB or more per hour.

The form can range from a small portable drive that fits in a shirt pocket up to a paperback size. No need for anything fancy or fast. The data throughput requirement is quite low compared to other computer applications. External power supply is the most important requirement in my experience.

(Posted this question in another forum...but I figure I would get a quicker answer here.)

So I got my Dj 1997 set for the Galaxy 16 Bird. I have 41 channels scanned in.

1. How does one go about getting electronic program guide to load?

2. I have just received my Desktop 2Tb external hard drive from Western Digital. So what are the steps to make my hard drive into a DVR? Do I need to unplug the Manhattan before plugging in the hard drive to the front USB port? (i'm afraid the Manhattan will go to the factory default mode if unplugged and thus I will need to rescan the channels.)

Any help would be appreciated!

1. There is no guide data on FTA, for most stuff.
2. No you do not have to unplug it first.
Note: If your receiver is losing data when it is unplugged, something is wrong with it, and I would contact the seller.

1. There is no guide data on FTA, for most stuff.
2. No you do not have to unplug it first.
Note: If your receiver is losing data when it is unplugged, something is wrong with it, and I would contact the seller.

Thanks for your quick response! So I suppose the EPG is for internet applications.

Thanks for your quick response! So I suppose the EPG is for internet applications.
No, EPG is for satellite. It is just that in NA, most satellites do not broadcast an EPG, unless you are on a pay service. In Europe EPG works fine on FTA. :)

Good to see the poster get his channel back! For his channel info, he can always go to titantv and set up a personal channel guide, its easy once you figure it out.
Still have 2 of those GI receivers , a 550 and a 650, dish-movers mostly now. If they are switching polarities on him when he turns them off=its probably because the analog boxes, some of them anyway, were wired to search for a videocipher signal , once the box was turned off. If f they weren't on a scrambled channel-the reciever would search for a scrambled signal to keep the box authorized for pay programming. Back when they made it available to us, that is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)