Most cost affective fta receiver that can tune in Shepard's Chapel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tundracat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Fairbanks, alaska
Hi! I am new to this subject-fta receiver. I have a C band LNB pointed at G16 Transponder 16 with a 12 foot mesh dish in order to watch Shepard's Chapel thru summer of 2014. Since that time they went digital (see specifics: http://www.shepherdschapel.com/

If I purchase something like a Geostat MicrosatHD satellite receiver as has been mentioned in other threads, would all I need to do is disconnect the General Instrument 450 receiver (not interested in needing it as a dish mover) and swap it out with a new DVB S2 receiver? What is a reasonable price and reputable place to purchase this receiver who will ship to Alaska? As far as I know, all the C band satellite companies here in Fairbanks have dried up and I am not technology inclined, so I could use a little help here if this is feesible with a simple swap out.

Do not need a DVR feature--so if there are others without this feature--I am all ears. Just looking to receive this one channel only.
fill.gif

Holy crap! This MicroHd is tiny. Is it simple to connect to my 20 year old General Instrument 450 c band receiver? Do I need any other special equipment or a new LNB?

There is also the Amiko Mini HD SE which is an excellent receiver.
There are a couple on this forum that sell FTA equipment that are very good to deal with, myself included.
You most likely want to change out your LNB with a new LNBF. The Titanium C1-PLL would be an excellent choice.
If your wiring is still in good shape yes it is pretty simple, to modernize your set-up. If it has been out in the sun all these years, it would be a good idea to change it out.

Disconnect lnb coax from existing receiver. Connect to LNB connection on the DVB-S2 receiver. Connect a television via HDMI cable. Power on the new receiver and television. Press the menu button and find Blind Scan . Enjoy.

Concur with a new LNBF. http://www.ebay.com/sch/ke4est/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Others are titaniumsatellite.com and gotcband.com .
(Thought I'd save you from searching around)

Reactions: KE4EST
Disconnect lnb coax from existing receiver. Connect to LNB connection on the DVB-S2 receiver. Connect a television via HDMI cable. Power on the new receiver and television. Press the menu button and find Blind Scan . Enjoy.

Concur with a new LNBF. http://www.ebay.com/sch/ke4est/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Others are titaniumsatellite.com and gotcband.com .
(Thought I'd save you from searching around)

If I wanted to keep the GI450 as a dish mover, what parts would I need to connect the DVB-S2 receiver? (I am looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Premium-PVR-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B007XEIWTM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433377704&sr=1-3&keywords=fta+satellite+receivers+hd). Would I just need a two prong splitter such as this? Amazon product ASIN B007YV0UQW Connect the cable leading from the dish to the splitter and run one coax cable from the splitter to the DVB-S2 and the other to the GI450? Or do I need something like this? Amazon product ASIN B00H83JUNA
What would I need in addition to receive DVB programming to a 2nd television. A three prong splitter using the 3rd prong to run coax cable to the other TV?

Are you going the LNBF route, or keeping the LNB/polarotor? If LNBF:
Do the same as I said above. Don't necessarily* need the lnb connected to the analog. So no coax to the analog receiver(no spllitters)
Just leave the actuator wiring intact (to move the dish) For tuning/programming use a second TV to see the analog receivers tune up screen for the pulse count/save features. I found it too confusing to use one television and an AB switch or two 'channels'.
* If the analog has an auto tune feature you'll find it probably doesn't do that well with digital signals. (but I suppose you could try it. Use the splitter mentioned later.) Best to manually tune, watching the quality reading on the DVB receiver, then save the position in the analog.
If polarotor:
use a DC blocking (one port) splitter, or this, with that port wired to the DVB. The power pass port to the analog.
Here the analog will power the LNB, select polarity and move the dish.
I'd still manually tune the dish as outlined above. Once tuned up, I'd remove the spllitter, removing the 3db loss from the system.
Links are examples. Purchase where you desire.

Last edited:
If you only want C-band reception you don't need any splitters/switches. Just disconnect the C-band LNB coax from the 450i and hook it to your DVB receiver of choice. Use the 450i to position the dish and set polarity/skew while watching signal quality on the DVB receiver. I have a similar setup.

I have a analog receiver (a 550i) on one composite input to my TV and my DVB receiver on a different input so I can switch back and forth as needed on the TV (or use Picture-Beside-Picture on TV). The only difference is that I also have a Ku LNB on my dish so I use a manual A/B switch to change from C-band LNB to Ku band LNB and vice versa.

DRCars

Well it is a year later and I still haven't purchased a digital receiver yet. But I am ready now to take the plunge. (See post 1 on this thread.) Anything new and improved that has come out. I really like the mini HD receiver. Are there any out there that works like a DVR or do they all need an external hard drive to work that function. I don't need anything too fancy as I am new at this. All I am trying to do is leave the dish at one satellite position (Galaxy 16) using C band only and recording would be a nice feature. I do not need any other function. The simpler the better. What am I looking at as far as cost? What is a fair price on an external hard drive if I go that direction? I am open to any suggestions or links. Thanks. And if any are American made, that would be a plus!

ps. Thanks DRCars for the post above. Very helpful!

For your needs the Manhattan DJ-1997 would be your best option.
It is a descent receiver at a good price.
It is not made in the US, but it was developed in the US and have really good support.
http://hypermegasat.com/Manhattan DJ-1977 HD.htm

Thanks KE4EST. Just took the plunge. Thanks for the link! Google and Amazon.com was not much help in finding out pricing info on any of the 3 aforementioned receivers suggested in this thread. All I could find was the X2 mini and being made in china explains the cheap price. No thanks.!

If I get this thing to work, I will come back and ask for some help on external hard drive suggestions and what would be a fair price..

Reactions: KE4EST
Yes, feel free to ask any questions.
Welcome to the hobby. :)

So I hooked up the Manhattan DJ 1997 receiver this past week. Despite excessive tree growth blocking the Galaxy 16 sat (99W) I did a blind scan expecting to find nothing. !9 channels were found. Signal strength 87 on all and quality readings from 42-50. (lots of pixelating.). Hired tree service, to eliminate or trim offending trees.
New blind scan brought in 59 Tv channels and 50+ radio stations. (Lots of duplication.) Signal strength still 87, quality readings ranged from 59 (metv) to 71 (networks). Unfortunately no Shepard's Chapel.

I need a favor if it is not too much to ask. Would you do a blind scan on your receiver and see if you can pick up Shepard's chapel? Please provide frequency polarization and symbol rate. Also at same time quality readings on this channel as well as Metv and network feeds.

The preset for Shepard's Chapel on the Manhattan receiver show 4020V 15000. Sathintcom show 4005V 5833. .http://www.sathint.com/99W
lyngsat.com shows 4006V 5833 3/4. http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-16.html . I plugged in these various numbers with a manual scan with no success.

Questions:

1. The manhattan preset shows 3 Shepard's Chapel feeds. Is this still the case?
2. Is Transponder 16 a weak signal?
3. What does NIT mean? Should that be selected in the on position during a search?
4. Can one put in decimal points for a manual scan? How is it done?

I'm getting SC on 4006/V/5833, it scans in as SC HD FEED 1. Quality is 56% on my MicroHD on the 9' dish.

MeTV isn't coming in good for me on 99W right now, Q is jumping between 44 and 53%.

Anyone here own the Manhattan Dj 1997 receiver? Are you getting the same figures? Why is the preset showing 4020V15000? I think I am going to need a step by step help in doing a manual scan. (This is my first foray.)

Last edited:
Thanks both of you for your responses. I am not following the pilot off comment.

Anyone here own the Manhattan Dj 1997 receiver? Are you getting the same figures? Why is the preset showing 4020V15000? I think I am going to need a step by step help in doing a manual scan. (This is my first foray.)

Some channels require a "pilot" signal and ,at least in older receivers,there is a setting for pilot on or off,or 0 and 1 in some.Newer receivers may do it automatically as will a blind scan.
That preset is old obsolete information,why you can't always trust presets.

I don't have a DJ 1997, but if IRC, SC changed transponders a while back and so it's like Waylew said, the preset data is obsolete now.

I think there was three feeds and they went to one HD feed, but I'm not sure.

There is members on here that own DJ 1997's, someone that owns one will probably chime in soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)