most effective anti-virus/anti-malware applications

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Matt Manos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Springdale, AR
Hey It's been about a year since this has been hashed out, so I thought I would bring it up again. I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials in conjunction with Threatfire and Malware Bytes on a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop. I haven't had any problems viruses but want to know other folks' opinions about the most effective anti-virus/anti-malware programs out there. It doesn't matter if they are free or not but it's hard to argue with good, free software.

avg has always worked for me
malwarebyes, spybot, hijack this once in a while

if somehting does get in combofix

I have had several customers come back with infected systems with AVG installed. Since the first of the year I have had them changing to Microsoft Security Essentials. If they do get infected MSE has been able to take care of it without a visit to my home.

AVG had too many false positives for me at first, then I noticed after an update, it was not finding anything reliably and then the infections started. I gave up on them also.

Heard good things about MSE and may try it someday myself. I liked avira for AV but got annoyed by the free version ad for buying the full version, so I got rid of it as I didn't like the overall package they offerred.

I use Avast and scan occasionally with Malwarebytes. Avast had some troubles around the beginning of the year (false positives, system freezes) but those have been worked out. I'd still recommend it but check their forums if anything odd is happening while running it.

I've had people claim that I gave them a virus in the past when I was pretty confident that I was secure. These folks weren't smart enough to install OS service packs so after hours of scanning I decided the problem was on their end. The question is, if your virus program says you are clean, how do you know you actually are if there are no virus symptoms?

consolidation

After googling Vipre and checking out some reviews, I decided to uninstall my three ant-virus/spyware/malware apps and give Vipre a shot. The way it is advertised, Vipre seems to combine features of a good traditional anti-virus program, an anti-spyware program, and Threatfire, which watches for suspicious activity in addition to relying on a database. We'll see how it goes.

I have switched all my computers as their current AV time runs out (from Kaspersky) to MSE. MSE works very well.
Same here.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/compute...-w7-warning-trend-micro-av-2.html#post1901572

I believe there is not much difference between the top half dozen brands.
The competition is on "zero-day" viruses: who releases the "cure" first.
When the virus is a week old (or so), it doesn't matter what antivirus you use.

And so it boils down to size and PC slowdown.
MSE initially was very small and lean. Now, if you download manually the virus definition file it is 60MB.
It still beats any other in terms of PC slowdown, I believe. And it doesn't do stupid and annoying things.
For example, if you create a Win7 installation USB stick (it has autorun in the root) Trend will flag it...

Diogen.

I have had several customers come back with infected systems with AVG installed. Since the first of the year I have had them changing to Microsoft Security Essentials. If they do get infected MSE has been able to take care of it without a visit to my home.

Does MSE scan email thru TBird?

MSE is the way to go. Free program with almost daily updates. Doesn't bog down the system too much. Finds most threats with ease.

I had a case where I downloaded a file that MSE said was clean, but I suspected it wasn't. File description and file icon both showed that it was a Word document, but if you look at the extension it was a .exe. Clearly a virus or trojan masquerading as a Word document. I submitted it to Microsoft and within 24 hours they identified it and updated the software definitions to catch it. Norton doesn't do that, and they charge $60 or more for their software. MSE has my loyalty as long as they continue with that kind of service and attitude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)