Motor finally up and working

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

markbone100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
IL
Took forever, but my H2H motor is finally up and running. The signal strength is a little lacking, but I think its because im using a 75e dish and there might be some trees in the way in the neighbors yard.

On the openbox, im getting in the 60's on 72 and 70's on others to the west, but smaller on weaker transponders that a fixed dish brings in strong. PBS on 87 is only in the 20's and stutters on the HD. It could just be a hair off but the motor is so touchy that the slightest touch will skew it offline.

Some of the Ku I am using a fixed dish for, but I may go back to using a fixed dish for the others. ill see if I can skew it a hair

125 comes in great, looks like just need to be adjusted to the east a hair. Thinking a satellite meter would be a great christmas present to myself :)

Following the advice of Radar, you should tweak elevation on one end of arc, then go to other end of arc to tweak azimuth. Then repeat. Never adjust both elevation and azimuth at same end of the arc at the same time. If you follow this procedure, you will ultimately get your motor perfectly aligned on the arc.

After some tweaking, it seems to be the dish itself. I took another receiver out there and peaked the dish at 97 just to see what results I would get, and the quality would not go any higher then a 37.

On a 30" dish on a different mount, it would hit a 39. Now if I would use the 1.2m dish, it would be 80+. But a commercial fiberglass 1.2m dish is a little heavy for a motor so ill hold onto what I have unless I can find one for a steal.

I might someday try the round 30" just for shiggles on the mount, but definately the 75e wont cut it here

I think a bigger dish will solve the problem. That 75 is a bit small, my motorized dish is 90cm, works fine on 98% of what I find with it, but I am tempted to put that spare 1m dish I have on the motor just to see if there's a difference.

Thats my conclusion too. I have a 40x30 primestar with dual feeds, guess if I really wanted to I could put a different arm on it and use it as a single feed for the motor. Would perfer a round 36 or 39 but I cant stomach $100 for shipping when I have shipped larger items three times as heavy for half that

A cheap tone signal meter is desired at this time. You can hear that tone get louder, better than what shows from your receiver. You should go to several satellites on the arc and push on the dish to see which way the dish should be adjusted (without adjusting). Then look at the attached photo and determine your situation. Then adjust appropriately. I spent 8 hours (four hours wasted due to mixing up the declination angle) and finally got the BUD on the arc. It is amazing what satellites show up once you are on the arc.

Attachments

• 1000026_6adjarcsr.jpg
    1000026_6adjarcsr.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I dont have an issue getting the arc, just low signals. I can get from 72 to 125. Anything lower then 72 I have no interest in

I understand. My Ku dish on motor is one meter and I certainly wish the four foot was lighter so I could put that on a motor instead.

Problem resolved!

This evening I went outside and replaced the 75e with the 30" dish with .3 lnb.

Results were surprising since the 75e is about an inch larger overall on the surface area. Must have a weak LNB on it. Here were the results I have found as recorded on the openbox and then the satworks 3618

72W NBC - Primestar then 30"
Openbox - 62/75
Satwork - 35/39

83W PBJ
O - 44/62
S - 35/42

87 MTA channel
O - 67/76
S - 38/52

91W ABC
O - 45/75
S - 38/62

97W random channel
O - 70/76
S - 36/48

125 PBS
O - 70/76
S - Didnt check

So after a quick test and check, it seems that the primestar dish was not up to par, perhaps warped or bad LNB. But I am happier now :)

EDIT - Having tiling on 87 with the PBS there, but on the 7.5ft they are 82%. Must be a little too small a dish to get them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts