Status
Please reply by conversation.

satellitenow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Hawaii
Hello,
I am attempting to aim my motorized dish for initial setup.
The chart says to use an elevation of 69 degrees. That puts my satellite pointing nearly straight up at true South. That seems a bit much.

My question is: Where is 0 degrees? Where is 90 degrees? If I had my satellite dish pointing horizontal (with the feed arm horizontal) would that be 90 degrees or zero degrees?

What motor are you using ?
There are two different elevation settings, depending upon your latitude.
For example,
Honolulu is about 21.3 S lat
so the motor latitude setting would be 21.3 degrees.
Honolulu also requires a ( 26 degree minus declination angle of 3.7 ) or 22.3 degree setting on the dish elevation bracket .
Figures are from Sadoun calculator, for sg2100 motor, and Zip 46805 .

The motor elevation setting is GOSPEL, while the dish elevation brackets are notoriously vague, so you will have to use that as one of your tweaking points.
:)

What motor are you using ?
There are two different elevation settings, depending upon your latitude.
For example,
Honolulu is about 21.3 S lat
so the motor latitude setting would be 21.3 degrees.
Honolulu also requires a ( 26 degree minus declination angle of 3.7 ) or 22.3 degree setting on the dish elevation bracket .
Figures are from Sadoun calculator, for sg2100 motor, and Zip 46805 .

The motor elevation setting is GOSPEL, while the dish elevation brackets are notoriously vague, so you will have to use that as one of your tweaking points.

Honolulu is 21.3 N lat....

Thanks guys. I know the true South azimuth. No problem there. I am trying to figure out the dish elevation. I went to Dishpointer.com and got the following info:

Latitude: 21.370°
Longitude:-158.088°

Motor Latitude Angle: 21.4°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 169.9°
Declination angle: 3.7°
Dish elevation: --
In the back of my motor manual is a chart and at 21 lat. it says I need a Degree elevation of 69 degrees and a Declinataion of 3.6. So what is the 69 degree elevation they refer to? Because when I put my setting there (from motor scale) my antenna is pointing to the sky and I'm pretty sure there are no sats directly over me.

-I am using a H180 H-H Motor w/ a DiSEqC Positioner.
-A 1.2 M Channel Master ant.
-Zip Code: 96707.
-I have my mount (pole) plum straight up and down.

Ant is pointing true South.

Need initial elevation setting. (22.3 Degrees?)

I think I know where the 69 degrees comes from. It's on the opposite side of the motor from the latitude scale, and called "motor elevation" and it is equal to 90 degrees - latitude. It's on all our motors and the two different scales confuse us frequently. Use the latitude side, and use 21 degrees there. Then start your dish elevation at 22.3, as you are already suspecting.
I think you should be "good to go" and start fiddling.

Thanks again. I set it at about 22.6 and started rotating the Dish. I got close to something and ended up on a satellite. All I had to do was tweek it with the declination adjust on the top of the motor mechanism. The rest should be just a matter of working the curve.

Thanks again.

This may help.....

Attachments

• track.gif
    track.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 163
Status
Please reply by conversation.