Motor question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gremlin411

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
South East Texas
I am using a motor on a 84e. I am not sure it is setup right. I have 72w to 129 setup and can view stations on each. I setup a fixed 1.2 meter for 125w and moved my motorized dish over to fined the strongest signal i could see then unhooked the motor dish and hooked up the fixed dish. I found the signal and locked it down. I then noticed that motorized dish was not pointed anywhere close to where the fixed dish was. Is this how it should be are should the motorized dish be pointed in the same direction as the fixed dish? If it should be pointed in the same direction would my signal quality be better?

I am thinking that I am getting the signal from a kick off of the wing because the dish is wider than tall is this right? :confused:

If you can get to 129 it probably is tracking right. That is most likely just an optical effect, comparing a big wide dish like the 84e to a more round dish would be confusing. It would be hard to compare where it 'appears' to be aimed, due to the big difference in shape.

Are you sure both dishes were aimed at the same satellite? It is possible to get a strong signal from the same transponder frequency on two or more different satellites. The menu on the receiver might say that you are aimed at a certain satellite, but that means nothing, as the receiver has no way of knowing which satellite you are receiving the signal from. If you do a blind scan on each dish, you can confirm which satellites the dishes are aimed at by content.

The 84e is a fixed dish just as you stated, skewing is done within the LNBF only unlike the motorized unit which tilts the entire dish. Yes it is pointing in a different fashion but is on the same sat. When the entire dish is skewed (motorized) it doesn't have to be facing the satellite straight on like a fixed dish has to. It's kind of like a bank shot in Pool, there are various angles to shoot the que ball but it still hits the target, a mirror is another example, tilting the mirror will focus a beam in different angles, very simple geometry.

McGuyver the 84e is the motorized dish.
I can see motana pbs on both dishes.

If it will stop raining here I will take pic of dishes at 125w and post.

Gremlin,

Even though McGuyver stated the wrong dish as the motorized one, I do believe that he is correct in the difference between the two regarding how the dish "appears" to be aimed.

With the motorized dish, the motor has to turn the dish in order to skew it (the whole dish) to align for the polarity of the signal and polarize the LNBF. This will make the dish aim appear much different compared to the fixed point dish where you manually rotate the LNBF itself to adjust the polarization.

As TRON stated, if you scan and acquire the same channels, then you are aligned to the same sat.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)