motorized dish question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fkamp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Middle Tennessee
Hello,

I think I may be suffering from a GCE (gross conceptual error) about motorized dishes. I have recently installed a DirecPC 39 x 24 dish pointed at G18. (see photo) I don't have a motor yet but was looking to get one.

The dealer I purchased the dish from said that since I was only pointing at one sat, I would not need to skew it. (but I did have to)

My questions are:

The skew is ~40 deg. With a motor, will it be zero?

How does a motor perform skew. It looks to me as if they only rotate in one axis?

During the install, I had great signal strength but no quality until I started skewing. Could I have be pointing at 121 and by skewing it picked up 123 ?

Thanks for any assistance?

Attachments

• mydish.jpeg
    mydish.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 135
The way the Motor is mounted, when the Motor rotates the entire Dish is skewed.
Just follow the instructions, set the LNB for Zero skew.

The motor shaft is bent in such a way that as it moves across the arc, it automatically and correctly skews the dish. So, you are correct... If you have the dish mounted on a motor, you'll want to mount it skewed at '0'.

The person who sold you the dish was thinking of circular DBS pay satellites, where skew is not an issue (the only time you have to skew for circular satellites is when you're picking up multiple birds on one dish, such as the Superdish, Dish 500, etc.)...

best motor for my dish

:)I really appreciate the responses guys! :)Now I've got to decide how to rig a motor to this dish.

I know that I'll have to make some sort of adapter as my mounting bracket diameter is 60 mm. My question is:

Are there any other motors where the antenna arm points up like it does on the stab hh120?

There's a bolt going through the top of the pole mounting bracket on the antenna

The stab seems like a logical choice because it would attach to the antenna from the bottom

Also the stab hh120 seems to be scarce.

Thanks once again!

Are there any other motors where the antenna arm points up like it does on the stab hh120?

There's a bolt going through the top of the pole mounting bracket on the antenna

The stab seems like a logical choice because it would attach to the antenna from the bottom

The bolt is removed and then re-inserted through the bracket and the motor shaft. That keeps the dish locked at the correct angle on the motor shaft.

I have an HH100 on my Fortec Star 90 and I think it is great, but the azimuth angle is +-62 versus +-75 on the Moteck SG2100 listed at Sadoun. The Sadoun Powertech units are listed as +-80 degrees. If my HH100 ever burns out I will probably replace it with the DG380.

So depending on your line of sight you might want the 75-80° range.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)