motorized dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willie8605

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Oklahoma
I am just wondering how long the wait time is for motorized setups? ie how long does it take the dish to move from one bird to the next when changing channels? Obviously it would take longer to go from 129W to 83W than it would take to go from 129W to 123W, but I'm just looking for an average guesstimate based on everyone's experience.

Really depends on the setup. I have a STAB hh90 (USALS)on a 31 inch dish that's pretty fast. I have a one meter dish with a Stab hh120 (also USALS) that needs to warm up and is painfully slow.

The fastest dish mover I have is a Birdview solid 8.5 foot dish HH motor. with G-box. Goes from say 125 west to 91 west in maybe 20 seconds.

I had a Superjack 24 inch actuator on another big dish I had. Took maybe 5 - 10 more seconds to go the same # of degrees the Birdview does.

Another factor is the polarity of the target channel. If you select a Horizontal polarity channel on the Target satellite, the motor moves faster than if a Vertical channel was selected. 18V supplied to the motor moves it faster than 13V supplied to the motor.
:)

I'm moving a 1.2 M dish with a DG380. My arc is limited, right now 123W to 91W, but my full usable arc takes about 7 - 8 seconds.

(how's the Quaker??)

Sorry for the error, my answer haunted me so I went and sort of timed it -- from 123W to 91W takes about 16 seconds. I was trying to estimate from memory , but that didn't pay off too well...........

Last edited:
dg380

From 72 to 129 in about 30-35 seconds. Hard to beat, in fact I'm thinking about taking it to Talledega for qualifying in the next race there!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)