Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I was thinking about taking an old 121 SuperDish and putting it on a motor and using the FSS LNB for FTA. I've been searching the forum here and although I have found talk about the FSS LNB and using it for FTA, I have not seen anything specifically about putting this on a motor. This dish has a pan bracket that is real low on the dish and looks like would be a good match for a STAB HH120 which normally is orientated with the post pointed up. It looks like the STAB HH120 is no longer made and was not well liked in the community. Would it be a good idea to use a DG380 mounted upside down? Does anyone have pictures of a motorized SuperDish? I would need to buy a motor and want to get one that will work of course.

You would probably have to build a bracket to fit the motor, shouldn't be very complicated. When you 'motorize' a normally fixed dish, you have to include a way to add your site's declination in order to track the arc. So you would need some adjustment either at the top or bottom of your home-made bracket. Once set, aiming should be fairly easy.

SD-121 Mod1.JPGI have a number of superdishes in my array, they are a little under performing for the weaker birds( ie 101W)

Thanks for the info guys. Yes it does look like some engineering will be needed. Not so straight forward as I first thought.

On the Superdish doesnt the top "pivot" bolt come off so you can attach it to say a SG2100 through the top?
There are 3 bolts on the elevation...2 on the "slide" part and the one that pivots the bracket...that one

You would have to cut away part of the pan bracket to get through the top. I know the bolt you're talking about. Well I have a few of the SuperDishes so I can experiment a little. I was hoping for a simple conversion I could pass on to a few friends and maybe get them started. I don't really need another mediocre KU dish. And I have a few FTA projects in front of that one anyway. Finally got my 6,000 lbs non-penatrating ground mount and 30" pole up for my C-Band dish.

ahh ok...so its got a cap on the top blocking it. I know what you're talking about. Had an old 24" dish like that. Had to literally cut it off and peel part of the bracket off

Attachments

• DBS motor 5.JPG
    DBS motor 5.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 139
  • DBS motor 1.JPG
    DBS motor 1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 157
saw slot.JPGcutout.JPGsideview.JPGMagic,
I motorized a SD a while back and the project went well except I had issues with the Viewsat I was using. Gave it to a friend to try and he came away with the same opinion: The Viewsat had issues and the Stab HH90 also had issues, I think he said the Viewsat was only outputting about half the required voltage to operate the motor. I hooked up a Coolsat 6000 to it and it worked better but not like it should, leading us to believe the motor also has problems, but in the narrow range where the motor worked as it should, the SD did surprisingly well, in fact was the strongest link in the project. If I remember right, during the rare times it did work, I could see from a little east of 61.5 all the way to 125, but it [the motor or receiver] had some really strange and erratic operation. I took the multiple lnb holder off because of the weight out on the arm and the fact that the motor was rated for a small dish. I'm just waiting for spring to get a different motor, I don't even want to go outside right now!
ss ><>

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)