Motorola DCT-6412 Working Better Now

Wayne88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I have to admit that my DCT-6412 is working much better now. So much so that I cancelled my service call to have it replaced (also out of fear that box #2 might be worse than box #1). It is now recording series, and most importantly, giving a reliable playback of the recordings. It is also giving reliable play back on rewinds of live TV (good for replays or missed dialogue).
I tried several things: first I added a signal booster (from Motorola); then I removed the splitter for internet (put it upstairs on another line). Neither of these solved the problems (although the quality of live TV may have improved).
Finally, I decided to reduce the number of digital outputs from the box to the TV. I had an HDMI/DVI cable, a component cable and a firewire cable all hooked in. When I removed the Component cable only, the playback quality did not improve. When I removed the firewire cable the problems stopped. It is already known that the DCT-6412 does not fully enable firewire. Firewire on this box does not support VOD nor even the guide (seems to not be fully bi-directional). Removing the firewire cable allows the DCT-6412 to record and playback just fine with either component or HDMI/DVI cables. So, even when not in use, the firewire cable interferes with the performance of the DCT-6412. I will only use the firewire to record directly to my Mitsubishi WD-52825's DVR (or to another device like a computer) either live TV or shows recorded from by the DCT-6412. Otherwise it won't be plugged into the DCT-6412.
Wayne

Actually percent free hardrive space may be more important

Looks like I was wrong about the firewire being a problem. The DCT-6412 performs better with or without firewire connected to it as long as the hardrive is not 60% or greater full. Not sure at which percentage the problems start, but when I decreased it below 20% full, the box was performing much better with responding to rewind commands (for "live" TV) (not getting choppy or freezing). We will see how it records and plays back shows though. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I guess I will treat it like it is a 50 gig (not a 120 gig drive). (I will try to not let it get past 30% full).
Wayne

Change the box until you get one that works

Wayne88 said:
Looks like I was wrong about the firewire being a problem. The DCT-6412 performs better with or without firewire connected to it as long as the hardrive is not 60% or greater full.
Wayne

Wrong again......I gave up and got a replacement (which does what it is supposed to do) :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=72272
Wayne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)