Motorola Droid 2.1 Update is HERE

I think rooting the phone might be an interesting thing to do just to see how much better the phone can get. i too just did the manual update and i dont think rooting can be that much harder. if anyone roots there phone let me know what you think of your droid after you do it.

Rooting itself isn't difficult. Pretty simple process. Putting an unsupported rom entails some risks in that if it bricks your phone, you are out of your warranty, but even there I believe its pretty easy to go back to stock with a factory reset through recovery mode.

FOr now I am happy with 2.1-update1. Just waiting for Helix 2 to get its bugs fixed.

The H2 store entry says it's a beta for N1, could it be it needs that extra bit of horsepower for the 3d launcher to work, and that it won't ever work properly on the droid?

No, it works on the droid in the cyanogen mod. They just need to make some tweak; I suspect the build number is different; remember it used to be ESE51 (I think) for 2.1, and now it is ESE81. I can't imagine he won't fix it.

I decided this deserved a thread of its own.

Folks, the Motorola Droid 2.1 update has begun dropping OTA, but you do not need to wait for your turn. The update file is available online, and you can install it manually. They said 1st Quarter 2010, and they squeaked it, with it dropping 3/31/2010!

Two sites to go to get the new software:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/03/31/manual-android-2-1-update-for-motorola-droid/

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-droid-android-21

With thanks to Droid-Life and Android Central.

Lets use this thread to discuss people's experiences with 2.1

Ok quick question. I am new to Android, as I only have had my Droid since Feb 4. Is the update really only 15MB when zip'd? I am use to Blackberry and Winmo which are in the 85-125MB Zip.

I pulled two of the files from Android Central.

Ok quick question. I am new to Android, as I only have had my Droid since Feb 4. Is the update really only 15MB when zip'd? I am use to Blackberry and Winmo which are in the 85-125MB Zip.

I pulled two of the files from Android Central.

Yes, the file is just 15mb. Just put it in your root directory of the SD card and give it a go, following the instructions. :)

Going on close to 48 hours with 2.1, and I am very happy with it - oh, I'll be happier when flash arrives - but for now, its pretty cool.

AND while I spoke before about not caring about the live wallpapers -- they are very cool. Sure its style and not substance, but a little style is not a bad thing.

Droid Does - and Android Does!

Going on close to 48 hours with 2.1, and I am very happy with it - oh, I'll be happier when flash arrives - but for now, its pretty cool.

AND while I spoke before about not caring about the live wallpapers -- they are very cool. Sure its style and not substance, but a little style is not a bad thing.

Droid Does - and Android Does!

have you downloaded any off of the market place? duck hunt is one of my favs even though I know there are a TON more now.

AC has a writeup on Helix for those who haven't looked into it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-quick-app-helixlauncher

That story is about Helix Launcher (what I am using), not Helix 2 Launcher. You had me excited for a minute. :)

By the way, there is a new alarm clock for the multimedia dock - the one that was included with the Nexus 1, but did not make it into the Droid's 2.1; it is compatible with Droid, and adds new features. I am downloading it now.

That app, "clock" can replace the multimedia dock application, and when you click the brightness icon, if you hold it down, it just switches to a clock display that moves across the screen, as a screensaver. Very nice addition - so the screen does not need to be on as much as it is with the original.

This rollout must be staggered longer than previous ones, my buddy still hasn't gotten his prompting to install it yet... He just got the phone a few weeks ago so definitely not 2.1.

-Mike

Some are caliming this slows down graphics. Is that what you guys are finding?

Some are caliming this slows down graphics. Is that what you guys are finding?

I saw the report on Droid-Life, but have not experienced any slowdowns. And Helix seems to run better than it did on 2.01. Have not spent a lot of time on the web with my Droid in the past couple days though.

I thought with the new update that I would get 5 screens? I still only have 3.

I thought with the new update that I would get 5 screens? I still only have 3.

No, it is one of the disappointments of it.

Just go download Helix Launcher, and you'll be good to go. I have 7 screens. And it is fast. Plus, I can dock four apps on every screen. Helix rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)