Motorola Droid 2.1 Update is HERE

okay got my official 2.1 (yes I waited this time :) ) and I put helix on my phone, makes it realllly nice...now my question is this does anyone know of a program that will put a favorite widget on your screen or will i just have to manually put shortcuts to my favorites?

okay got my official 2.1 (yes I waited this time :) ) and I put helix on my phone, makes it realllly nice...now my question is this does anyone know of a program that will put a favorite widget on your screen or will i just have to manually put shortcuts to my favorites?

Manually.

Droid Life is reporting that the Launcher 2, which came with the Nexus 1 is available on the marketplace now, but it is limited to 5 screens, and does not have the persistent dock feature of helix. I downloaded it (it was only $1.99) but took it off; Helix is better, and the only thing Launcher 2 offered was the 3D App Drawer. Plus it only worked in landsape if you opened the keyboard.

Helix is where it is at.

Ok Droid users, when 2.1 came out, I started using live wallpapers, because, well, they are cool. And used them until Thursday, when I was out of towwn for the day - and used the Droid a lot. MY battery was down to almost 50%, so I turned off live wallpapers to see if it would save juice.

While I did not really complete that test - because my meeting ended, and once I got in the car, I plugged the phone in; but what I did notice was that Helix was much more zippy without the live wallpapers. The phone just seemed faster.

Anyone experience the same with live wallpapers? I knew they were just Droid eye-candy, but speed is important too.

I have never used them, because they have to use a lot of battery running all the time. Helix uses more battery too than the standard home screen. I might end up going back to the regular home screen.

I have never used them, because they have to use a lot of battery running all the time. Helix uses more battery too than the standard home screen. I might end up going back to the regular home screen.

I am willing to deal with Helix, as it adds so much to the Droid. Did not notice any battery issues with it; and most of the time, I don't mind the extra drain, since I have a multimedia dock at work, and keep it on that when there, and in one at home as well.

WHEN 2.1 gets rooted, I will probably switch to Cyanogen 5, but as of today, still it has still not been rooted.

A beta of Helix Launcher 2 is out that works on the Droid; it has the 3D app drawer, but it has a quirky thing of having the drawer launcher on the right side of the persistent app dock, instead of the middle. After talking to the developer, he assured me it would be back in the middle in the next version (he was just exploring a bit to see how it looked).

Gotta love Android open source development.

The beta is not on the market; I got it from the developer's site, after donating $5 to the cause -- I was able to download the file for free, but since I LOVE Helix, I decided what the heck.

There were some icons already setup on H2 for a couple of my screens, almost like it grabbed them from my default home that I haven't used in forever. They were on 1-3 though, and it was setup for 5 screens so everything was shifted over 1-2 screens basically.

There were some icons already setup on H2 for a couple of my screens, almost like it grabbed them from my default home that I haven't used in forever. They were on 1-3 though, and it was setup for 5 screens so everything was shifted over 1-2 screens basically.

Yeah, it grabbed from my defunct original home screen too, but it started with 7 screens, which is what I have on Helix 1. Although I am fiddling with it, probably going to 5 screens, and experimenting with what widgets impact speed and performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)