Motorola Security Screws and Battery Replacement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I am asking this here as I am hoping someone with a 4DTV or other Motorola setup might have seen this.

I own (not lease) a SC Motorola DSR401. I purchased it off fleabay for $25. When I plug it in all the lights come on.....and then nothing. If I unplug and replug, sometimes no lights come on.

Yes, it might be a boat anchor - The Canadian I purchased it from said they had no way to test it - they only knew the lights came on.

I can see the battery is not firmly set - in fact its very loose. I remember the issues in the C Band Motorola 922 series and people talking about replacing batteries - thus I would like to reset the battery before I junk this.

It has some time of Motorola security screws on it. I would take a picture but I have not been able to get a hi res closeup with a digital camera (cameras never were my thing and I borrowed this one for a week).

I have tried everything to get a grip on these screws to get them out. They are too small to get a good grip on with a wrench. They have no repeating form on them that I can tell - more like a rock formation that with small valleys (think ayers rock on a small scale).

Does anyone know how to get these s.o.b.s out of this unit?

I'm not familiar with that reciever. But, my satellite guy told me that if you take the lithium battery out of a 920, or 922., you will lose your keys. And then it really will be a boat anchor. That may be why there are the bastard screws. I don't know where to point you. But maybe Motorola?
Don H.

Well, the screws (if i remember) can be opened a few ways, using a Gamebit (like whats used to open a Gamecube etc), also getting a flathead bit, and grinding the middle out, easiest way is to get a Crystal Bic pen (the clear ones, melt it, then press on the screw, and wait, and it makes a plastic screwdriver. Hope that can help somewhat

wtkflhn said:
I'm not familiar with that reciever. But, my satellite guy told me that if you take the lithium battery out of a 920, or 922., you will lose your keys.
Don H.

I think that's correct. There's info in the FAQ on changing the battery in one of these units. You basically have to keep the power turned on or use another battery to keep power to the board during the battery swap. In other words if you don't know what you're doing you could get hurt. From looking at Jeff's instructions it looks like the screws require a Torx head. The link to the proper section of the FAQ is below, and you might try PM'ing Jeff (gizzer777) for the info on the proper size screwdriver.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=49392

Mike

I know its not a torx screw (I wish - I have that covered).

Anyway, if the battery is loose and not seated correctly, I wonder if the STB is already hosed - and that is the issue.

yep for that price after S&H, I could buy 4 off fleabay and probably get 1 that works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)