Mounting 2nd lnb for 103.0W ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well said Radar. One thing I didn't see, maybe I didn't look at your answer correctly, but make sure that the sidecar addition your dish is on the correct plane of reception. In any case, where you mount the sidecar will also effect your reception, left of the main LNB will need to probably need to be higher than the main LNB, so that it is looking LOWER than the satellite you are aiming at with your original LMN. At least here in Arizona where I am, that would be the case.

The satellites are in a curved arc, so you will have to look at the up angle to determine if the side car needs to be lower or higher than what you may have now. If you are in a straight line between the LNBs, think of where they are aimed at the sky, and adjust accordingly.

(did I REALLY just say that?)

Maybe Radar can better explain what I am trying to say.

Photto

Well said Radar. One thing I didn't see, maybe I didn't look at your answer correctly, but make sure that the sidecar addition your dish is on the correct plane of reception. In any case, where you mount the sidecar will also effect your reception, left of the main LNB will need to probably need to be higher than the main LNB, so that it is looking LOWER than the satellite you are aiming at with your original LMN. At least here in Arizona where I am, that would be the case.

The satellites are in a curved arc, so you will have to look at the up angle to determine if the side car needs to be lower or higher than what you may have now. If you are in a straight line between the LNBs, think of where they are aimed at the sky, and adjust accordingly.

(did I REALLY just say that?)

Maybe Radar can better explain what I am trying to say.

Photto

Photto,

I think you stated it well, at least I understood what you stated precisely. I kind of tried to address that issue by this statement in my first post:

"If this is a homemade bracket for the second LNBF, you can try adjusting the position of the LNBF in some other axis, if possible. Like the height or the swivel angle if you have provisions to do so."

The general idea here is that since the sidecar LNBF is not perfectly in line with the central axis or plane of the dish (as the primary LNBF is) that it might help if you raise or lower the height of the sidecar LNBF just a small amount to optimize the illumination of that sidecar LNBF and subsequently increase the signal quality.

It would require a higher level of advanced calculus than I am capable of to describe the entire scenario, but if you have ever played with convex and concave mirrors and magnifying glasses as a child, you can kind of grasp the concept to an extent. You have to think about it rather abstractly.

I left that original statement as sort of open-ended and vague because I wasn't sure if the OP had a prefab sidecar bracket or was constructing a DIY bracket. If it were prefab, there is probably no other adjustment opportunities, they are usually FIXED at one position. If it were DIY, then you can probably do anything you like depending upon how you constructed the sidecar bracket.

It might not make a great deal of difference, but when you are starving for every point of signal quality that you can get, it is worth examining.

RADAR

Last edited:
The lnb I experimented with... if you're facing the front of the dish,it was on the left side. I had to tilt the bracket up slightly compared to the main lnb to get a really good signal. Took a few tries but it locked a signal fairly easily. Also I used a flattened conduit clamp for mine test.

Last edited:
Well ... I was thinking more like this. YEARS ago, when I was setting up a receiver for two satellites, dishfinder or who ever was showing how to turn the dish using the scale on the back to properly aim at two sats at the same time. This was back in the day when we ... uh .... um .... well, you all know what I mean. There was a scale on the back of the dish, and once I twisted the dish several degrees, bam, there were the two sats that I was trying to get with two LNB's. I realize it is a hard concept to teach, but the axis of the dish has to be turned in the correct direction in order to receive from both LNB's. From our perspective here on Earth, two satellites close together are NOT at the same elevation.

Using that info, just try moving the sidecar LNB instead of moving the whole dish, same principle.

Photto

(ps, Iceberg, we miss you)

I spent about 45 minutes working with the dish and trying to install a second LNBF to get the COZI channel, my makeshift bracket was not quite good enough for the project so desided to just twist/skew the original LNBF (invacom snh-031) to the odd skew for the 103W satellite.

I am happy to report that as of right now, this setup is receiving the COZI channels plus all the previous Ku band channels with very good quality readings.

I was under the impression that this odd skew would not allowed me to view the previous channels, only the COZI channel.

Boy am I a happy camper.

I spent about 45 minutes working with the dish and trying to install a second LNBF to get the COZI channel, my makeshift bracket was not quite good enough for the project so desided to just twist/skew the original LNBF (invacom snh-031) to the odd skew for the 103W satellite.

I am happy to report that as of right now, this setup is receiving the COZI channels plus all the previous Ku band channels with very good quality readings.

I was under the impression that this odd skew would not allowed me to view the previous channels, only the COZI channel.

Boy am I a happy camper.
Is your dish motorized? And if so, you are still getting all your other channels on other satellites with the skew set for 103? I haven't been able to get the Cozi TP but get the beach cams and the other NBC stuff on 103 OK.

Is your dish motorized? And if so, you are still getting all your other channels on other satellites with the skew set for 103? I haven't been able to get the Cozi TP but get the beach cams and the other NBC stuff on 103 OK.

Yes the dish is motorized, that is what I am talking about, this setup is receiving as of my last post and right now, ALL the previous KU satellites and channels as before I gave that LNBF that screwy skew. Once in a while I get some pixilation, I get away from the Cozi channel for a few seconds, come back to the Cozi channel and everything is OK so far.

The skew is set to approximately 23 degrees CCW looking from behind the dish, and the LNBF is located about half way into the holder, I am not going to move or disturb anything, sure hate to lose what I have.

avenger.

you might try moving your LNB in and out while someone at a window, or on a radio or cell phone tells you if the Q reading goes up or down, move in VARY small increments, and wait a few seconds to realize any difference.
Photto

you might try moving your LNB in and out while someone at a window, or on a radio or cell phone tells you if the Q reading goes up or down, move in VARY small increments, and wait a few seconds to realize any difference.
Photto
I will try adjusting things when it warms up a bit. It was 10 below when I got up and it is now up to 2 above. BRRRRRRRR!

Is this temperature in Celsius scale, or - Fahrenheit?

I am betting that a New Yorker is going to be thinking in terms of Fahrenheit, same as I. We Yanks haven't quite got "cozy" with the the Celsius or centigrade scale, yet.
If you say it is -10°C around here, people wonder why you are wearing a coat. Most just go about in a light jacket. Seen some idiots go about in shorts, though! No kidding.
But -10°F? You KNOW we "ain't" outside donning a speedo! Oh, matter of fact, I wouldn't wear a speedo at any temperature! So everyone can rest easy on that part of it.

LOL! Hope you don't mind a bit of levity.

RADAR

Is this temperature in Celsius scale, or - Fahrenheit?
That would be Fahrenheit. I don't like the Celcius scale, temps are below zero too much in the winter here. ;)

And I went out and twisted the LNB a couple times and seem to have found the sweet spot to get COZI TV and keep other sats coming in as well. It's up to 14°F now! (if that were Celcius today it would be perfect!)

That would be Fahrenheit. I don't like the Celcius scale, temps are below zero too much in the winter here. ;)

And I went out and twisted the LNB a couple times and seem to have found the sweet spot to get COZI TV and keep other sats coming in as well. It's up to 14°F now! (if that were Celcius today it would be perfect!)

Yeah, 14°C would be like 57°F. I could handle that just fine! :)

It looks like this thread heads for interesting conclusion, thanks to Avenger's experiment with adjusting the skew of main and only LNB in favour of satellite 103. I have seen in other thread (now I do not remember, where) suggestion that the difference of skew be split halfway. Rogerduncan in post # 51 suggested that, since cosine of 30 degree is 87%, the skew is not very important. However, for weak transmitters, it is important. So it looks that all other satellites and their transmitters are rather strong, and can deliver programs with skew a little compromised, while the skew will "pamper" this one special, 103 satellite. If the skew will be set not half way, but, respectively, split 20 deg and 6 deg, (of the total 26 deg.) the cosinuses would be 94% and 99.5 %.And all with just one, main LNB !. The only problem is, that, even with such favourable skew, the COZI still (occasionally) pixellates. Any explanation of it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)