Move hopper to another room

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Can my hopper 3 be moved to any other room and still work? At one time I had a tv and Joey in my den. But that tv was never used so I got rid of the tv and Joey. But the wiring is still in place. We’re about to do some remodeling in my living room (with the hopper). So I would like to temporarily move my tv and hopper to the den. Will I have any issues connecting the hopper in there?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Can my hopper 3 be moved to any other room and still work? At one time I had a tv and Joey in my den. But that tv was never used so I got rid of the tv and Joey. But the wiring is still in place. We’re about to do some remodeling in my living room (with the hopper). So I would like to temporarily move my tv and hopper to the den. Will I have any issues connecting the hopper in there?

The Hopper must be connected to the Host port on the hub so if you move the Hopper rewiring will be necessary.

That’s what I was afraid of. Shouldn’t be too difficult. I guess I’ll just have to remove wires until I find the correct one. I assume I can’t cause any problems by doing that?

If you're talking about disconnecting Joey wires to find the right one then you should be OK with it on. It would be a good idea if you unplug the Hopper before disconnecting that wire.

That’s what I was afraid of. Shouldn’t be too difficult. I guess I’ll just have to remove wires until I find the correct one. I assume I can’t cause any problems by doing that?

The line coming off Host on the hub goes directly to the Hopper. The Client goes to the Joey. Swap them and you'll be good

Reactions: charlesrshell

Yes as long as their is a outlet connection for the dish connection to the receiver

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

The only issue is I have 3 other joeys currently in use. So I’ll have to figure out which wire goes to that particular room.

Turn the Joey TVs on. Now go to the Hub location. If you have 4 Joeys, you probably have a splitter that is connected to the Client side of the Hub. You might have two splitters depending upon how things were installed (there are two Client outputs on a Solo Hub). Disconnect one coax at a time and go to the Joey TV locations and see which one no longer has a signal (picture). When the Joey location that you want to move your Hopper 3 to goes blank, you have the coax that needs to be moved. Exchange that coax with the one on the Host side of the Hub. Now you should be able to move the Hopper 3 to that TV location.

And yes, like LQQK noted, you should mark each coax as to the location it is going to.

Turn the Joey TVs on. Now go to the Hub location. If you have 4 Joeys, you probably have a splitter that is connected to the Client side of the Hub. You might have two splitters depending upon how things were installed (there are two Client outputs on a Solo Hub). Disconnect one coax at a time and go to the Joey TV locations and see which one no longer has a signal (picture). When the Joey location that you want to move your Hopper 3 to goes blank, you have the coax that needs to be moved. Exchange that coax with the one on the Host side of the Hub. Now you should be able to move the Hopper 3 to that TV location.

And yes, like LQQK noted, you should mark each coax as to the location it is going to.

A good procedure but it will work even better if you have your wife watch the Joey and yell when it goes off. :)

The only issue is I have 3 other joeys currently in use. So I’ll have to figure out which wire goes to that particular room.

Before you disconnect the hopper, one at a time, disconnect the client lines until you see which one causes signal loss, then you have your line

So I need to make sure I understand the configuration.
IMG_2218.JPG

On the orange hub. It looks like the “To ODU” goes to the dish? And I assume the “To Host” goes to hopper? And each “To Client” cable goes to a blue hub per cable.
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2216.JPG

And I assume the joeys go to “-3.5db” and “-7db” accordingly? What is the difference between those 2 ports?

The signal strength out of the 3.5dB port is less than half of the original signal and out of the 7dB port is less than one quarter of the original.

The signal strength out of the 3.5dB port is less than half of the original signal and out of the 7dB port is less than one quarter of the original.
I don't think that's exactly right. It's not cutting signal strength in half, it's cutting dBM's in half, right?