Movie Channel PQ

Kb Cool

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I recently added all the premium movie channels to DISH. I have had DISH for over 2 yrs. and also I had a 4DTV with a High def decoder. And I will honestly tell you the HD movie channels look like crap on DISH compared to what I had on 4DTV. I've heard the masters on c-band are only running at 10Mbps mpeg 2. So why does a 7Mbps StarsHD mpeg 4 feed and the rest of the movie feeds on Dish look so bad compared to the Cband master feed. Anybody know?

Because Dish is Cheap Crap! All the SD Channels on Dish Suck! No DVD Quality on Dish at all. My HD DVD Player with reg DVD's look sharper that Dish HD Channels.

I recently added all the premium movie channels to DISH. I have had DISH for over 2 yrs. and also I had a 4DTV with a High def decoder. And I will honestly tell you the HD movie channels look like crap on DISH compared to what I had on 4DTV. I've heard the masters on c-band are only running at 10Mbps mpeg 2. So why does a 7Mbps StarsHD mpeg 4 feed and the rest of the movie feeds on Dish look so bad compared to the Cband master feed. Anybody know?

Far as I know starz and max is still sourced in mpeg2 and dish has to transcode to mpeg4 1440x1080i HD-Lite with 2nd generation mpeg4 encoders. Show, HBO, HDNMV are still mpeg2 at 4 per transponder less than 10Mpbs each. All the movie content providers are rushing to source in mpeg4 (Motorola’s DSR4410MD) and at that time I suspect DISH will just pass through what they get. All we can do is wait but my guess it will happen soon.
Starz Picks Motorola for HD Encoding - 8/30/2007 11:05:00 AM - Multichannel News

Far as I know starz and max is still sourced in mpeg2 and dish has to transcode to mpeg4 1440x1080i HD-Lite with 2nd generation mpeg4 encoders. Show, HBO, HDNMV are still mpeg2 at 4 per transponder less than 10Mpbs each. All the movie content providers are rushing to source in mpeg4 (Motorola’s DSR4410MD) and at that time I suspect DISH will just pass through what they get. All we can do is wait but my guess it will happen soon.
Starz Picks Motorola for HD Encoding - 8/30/2007 11:05:00 AM - Multichannel News

Thanks for the explanation as StarzHD is the worse one. If they pass-through what they get soon. I'll be happy. But in the meantime I am kinda wishing I kept the old 4DTV. My wife even noticed the decline in PQ on the DISH movie channels compared to cband. She even wants me to buy another 4DTV to replace the one I just sold.:eek: But with all the moving going on to mpeg4 by the programmers I am reluctant to replace it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)