Moving a 8 Foot C-Band dish from Ohio to Kentucky

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Back in May of this year, I got a C-band dish from Blindowl1234 in Ohio. Here is a series of photos of how it was disassembled and then moved to my location in Kentucky at my other location.

The dish when disassembled fits in the pickup truck with no problem. To take it down I used a cut off wheel , cut the mast and let it fall on its back then we disassembled it.

One of the hardest things involved in the process was finding a 3-1/2 inch metal post, forget Home Depot, Lowes and a scrap yard. I finally did locate one..with the concrete still on it. So I left the concrete on ...dug a hole to fit the concrete and post..(not easy to do in hard soil and high temp and humidity).

Filled it with concrete and then let it set, and painted the post. Put the brace over the post....then reassembled the dish and put the screening back on. Had to wait for help from my brother in law...then my brother in law, my wife and I were able to lift the dish on top of the brace.

For anyone thinking about moving a a C-band dish. A pick up truck, cut off saw, decent amount of tools, obtain a post (this might take some doing), cement, level to make post straight, time to disassemble and reassemble and most importantly at least three people to do the project . The reason why it took so long, I needed that third person to help lift the dish. Ideally...I think four or five people could disassemble, move and reassemble in a day or two (except the time for the concrete to set).

I could only post 10 pictures at a time...I will post the rest following this one...

Attachments

• C-Band-1.JPG
    C-Band-1.JPG
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 368
  • C-Band-10.JPG
    C-Band-10.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 337
  • C-Band-9.JPG
    C-Band-9.JPG
    699.1 KB · Views: 325
  • C-Band-8.JPG
    C-Band-8.JPG
    974.9 KB · Views: 308
  • C-Band-7.JPG
    C-Band-7.JPG
    994.6 KB · Views: 338
  • C-Band-6.JPG
    C-Band-6.JPG
    789.8 KB · Views: 321
  • C-Band-5.JPG
    C-Band-5.JPG
    986.1 KB · Views: 294
  • C-Band-4.JPG
    C-Band-4.JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 300
  • C-Band-3.JPG
    C-Band-3.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 312
  • C-Band-2.JPG
    C-Band-2.JPG
    951.5 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Here are the rest of the pictures...and Thanks again for Blindowl1234 for the dish and help disassembling it along with me and my wife.

These final photographs you will see the dish almost assembled, fully assembled and up and the signal strength on 91W C-band and see the other dishes that I have...its almost like having ones own private cable company head end!

EDIT: Wow ...my 500th Post!

Attachments

• C-Band-11.JPG
    C-Band-11.JPG
    786.6 KB · Views: 321
  • C-Band-12.JPG
    C-Band-12.JPG
    766.1 KB · Views: 319
  • C-Band-13.JPG
    C-Band-13.JPG
    624.8 KB · Views: 317
  • C-Band-14.JPG
    C-Band-14.JPG
    799.6 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Nice pics. I especially like the dish farm pic. What kind of dish is growing from the empty pole? Just kidding.

Piece of cake Bill, nice dish. But why do all the lifting? I just put mine together on the pole, with no help. A 12' at that! It was time-consuming, for awhile i had that old 12' dark star, it went together pretty much like that one of yours. The toughest part was lifting that polar mount cap onto the pole, it sure was heavy. And making those final petals come together after the mesh is inserted was a pain. But it surely did pull in the c-band, until it finally cracked half the ribs and started falling apart. Its history now, but that was a great lesson in assembly.

Bill...Dish looks good. Glad you got the old 8.5 foot together and got a picture on it too. It took 3 of us to lift that sucker on the pole when I had it. Once its up there it ain't moving. Funny thing is the dish originally came from a guy in the Florence Ky area....So it came from Ky to Ohio and back to Ky. Enjoyed the pics too....I've still got pics of it in my yard.....Blind:)

how far was it ?

Whasssa matter? Couldn't find anything closer to home? - :rolleyes:
Or did you just have the hots for this particular dish?
I initially was willing to drive 200 miles for a certain rare kind... then found one 20 miles away. :)

Very nice install. Hope it serves you for many more decades! - ;)

Big thanks to Blindowl1234 for sharing! - :up

Nice,

Please bring one down to the ville :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)