Moving An Old Style Rear Projection Television

rcubed

Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Recently purchased a new HDTV. Would like to move my old 57" Hitachi Ultravision to my downstair rec room. The problem is my stairway has a 90 degree turn in it. The only way to make the 90 degree turn is to turn the tv on its side. My question is, can you turn the old syle TV's on their side without causing internal damage to the internals (color guns)? Is there any thing that needs do be done prior to turning the unit on its side? Any advice would be appreciated

Many CRT RPTV's are able to be disassembled insofar as removing the top (screen mirror) part of the set.
I've seen quite a few sets like that get moved to a basement only to not work again.

And WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

I would not recommend turning an old rptv on it's side. It has a liquid more like a gel inside each picture tube between the tube and the focal lens for cooling. Most of these tube assemblies are not sealed very well. If it leaks out, it could cause corrosion or short out parts on circuit board and eventually cause a picture tube failure for lack of coolant.

JKElect

Thanks for the response.

"Old Style" may be bad wording. The set is only 4 years old would this make a difference?

If you pull the screen and look inside at the bottom and see three round tubes. One red, blue and green if the set is on, it probably has the fluid inside the tubes. Also, if you have the screen off you can do a test before moving. Have a towel handy, with help tilt the set to the side while watching for any fluid to leak out. If it does not you may be ok to move the set downstairs. If during the test a little fluid leaks out it will not hurt, as long as you get the set upright and wipe up any leakage. Good luck.

A quick update for those seeking the same information. I called & talked to the Hatachi tech he state that turning on side should not be an issue. The tech stated if the set was less than 6-7 years old it should have sealed lamp & turning on its side should not be a problem. He stated to be careful not to jog the unit too much may create a problem with convergence.

Last Saturday my sons & I moved the monster to the basement. Set it up & have no problems at all. Picture as good as ever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)