Moving Directv Dish to a tall pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

juliegnh

Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
NH
Hello-

I have had Directv for about 13 years and have my dish mounted in the back yard on a huge tree stump so that it would clear some trees(not on my property). Well, after 13 years, I think those trees have gotten a little taller and I am having some intermittent reception issues(mostly when it rains). My question is, and I have scoured the web and this site - can I mount the dish on a tall pole, say 20 ft or so? If so, does anyone have any guidelines on how to do this? Pole diameter, how deep into the ground, guy wires, grounding etc? Also, I would love to either be able to lower the dish to clean the it if snow builds up on it or perhaps reach it via a pole with a brush or some other gadget. I want to put it up that high so that I am not going through this again in another 5 years. There is no where else to mount the dish, too many tall trees around me. Thanks for the advice!

Hello-

I have had Directv for about 13 years and have my dish mounted in the back yard on a huge tree stump so that it would clear some trees(not on my property). Well, after 13 years, I think those trees have gotten a little taller and I am having some intermittent reception issues(mostly when it rains). My question is, and I have scoured the web and this site - can I mount the dish on a tall pole, say 20 ft or so? If so, does anyone have any guidelines on how to do this? Pole diameter, how deep into the ground, guy wires, grounding etc? Also, I would love to either be able to lower the dish to clean the it if snow builds up on it or perhaps reach it via a pole with a brush or some other gadget. I want to put it up that high so that I am not going through this again in another 5 years. There is no where else to mount the dish, too many tall trees around me. Thanks for the advice!

I used a 16" galvanized pole.
You'll need a 2" od size pole.
I was able to run mine along side of my house and support it to the house.
You cannot do something like that ?

How about a normal sized pole mount and run it out to the property line and point it, would that clear your trees ? I did that for a friend who lives in a wooded area.

Thanks for responding, Jimbo! No, the dish is no where near the house, it is down in the back yard about 30-40 ft away. It was the only way to clear those trees. I figure the only choice I will have is a long pole, and am trying to do the research now, so I do it correctly.

Thanks for responding, Jimbo! No, the dish is no where near the house, it is down in the back yard about 30-40 ft away. It was the only way to clear those trees. I figure the only choice I will have is a long pole, and am trying to do the research now, so I do it correctly.

You do understand that the LNB post is not the height of the sat, right.

The sat signal comes in much higher than the arm and bounces off the reflector and then into the LNB.

Sure, ok, but where the dish is currently mounted on a big 'ole stump that is about 4 feet off the ground, I figure if I am getting interference now, then the only way to correct it is to go higher, and while I have to put all the time and effort into it, I might as well go up pretty high, so I don't have to repeat this adventure any time soon.....

Do you think I am going about this in the wrong way? I sure am not an expert, just trying to be logical about it....

Sure, ok, but where the dish is currently mounted on a big 'ole stump that is about 4 feet off the ground, I figure if I am getting interference now, then the only way to correct it is to go higher, and while I have to put all the time and effort into it, I might as well go up pretty high, so I don't have to repeat this adventure any time soon.....

Do you think I am going about this in the wrong way? I sure am not an expert, just trying to be logical about it....

Well, the higher you go, the harder it will be to adjust it to get a good signal and the more the chance of having movement in the pole when the weather hits.

How are you supporting this and just HOW high are you talking ?

I guess that was what I was asking, what the logistics are, how high can I go, do I have to use guy wires if I get up say 15-20'? How can something like this be accomplished? I am looking for a way to elevate the dish so I can get up above the tree growth(not my trees) from the last 13 years....

I guess that was what I was asking, what the logistics are, how high can I go, do I have to use guy wires if I get up say 15-20'? How can something like this be accomplished? I am looking for a way to elevate the dish so I can get up above the tree growth(not my trees) from the last 13 years....

How are you gonna get up there to point it once it's up that high ?

I assume I would use the same extension ladder that I have used to lop off the branches from the sides of the trees that are about 20 feet in front of the dish, hoping that would cure the problem. I am not saying that the solution I came up with is the best, that's why I am asking for advice on how to overcome the problem. Since trimming those trees creating my tunnel to the sky, I don't think it's those that are causing this, I now believe it's the tree tops way off in the distance.

How are you gonna get up there to point it once it's up that high ?

This definitely plus it needs to be near some fixed structure (within 3.5ft to use the support arm) or it will shake & move when it gets windy. If you have power around there, place a bright spotlight (like a Christmas Wreath spotlight...that's what my Ice Zapper is) pointed at the dish surface but off to the side & plug it in when snow/ice becomes a problem. Just don't make a habit out of plugging it in at night when it's really cold as all you will get are long ice cycles. Your theory is sound, it just needs some tweaking.....don't forget about drilling some rebar through the bottom of your mount in the cement so the whole pole doesn't sh*t left/right. You will be fine but it's a heavy sucker, get a buddy to help you with the install.

edit: Also while that cement is drying get your level out & make sure that pole is completely plumb...level. That is the number one source of no signal & bad signals.

I assume I would use the same extension ladder that I have used to lop off the branches from the sides of the trees that are about 20 feet in front of the dish, hoping that would cure the problem. I am not saying that the solution I came up with is the best, that's why I am asking for advice on how to overcome the problem. Since trimming those trees creating my tunnel to the sky, I don't think it's those that are causing this, I now believe it's the tree tops way off in the distance.

I thing you need about a 30* area for the dish, if your pointing it thru a hole.

Kinda hard to give you any REAL good ideas without being there.

Make sure that the wind doesn't catch your dish. Even with a 2" pipe, you've got a serious lever arm up there.

How long did it take for the trees to start killing your LOS?
I ask because you may not need to go as high as you think.
My guess is if you just go 2 or 3 feet higher you'd be okay for some time.

How long did it take for the trees to start killing your LOS?
I ask because you may not need to go as high as you think.
My guess is if you just go 2 or 3 feet higher you'd be okay for some time.

Thats kinda what I was thinking as well.

No need to go up to where he needs scaffolding to set the thing up.

[ame="http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/juliegnh/Satellite%20Dish/"]Satellite Dish pictures by juliegnh - Photobucket[/ame]

I got the service back after lopping off a big branch that I could barely reach with the ladder extended all the way. Maybe only a few feet higher would be ok, for the dish. I attached a picture of the view from behind the dish. Please weigh in with your opinions. Also have a picture of the transponders screen in settings, - these are good numbers, have had far worse before trimming last year. One other fly in the ointment is that a squirrel started to chew on the plastic cap on the LNB. Didn't make a hole, so I put some hardware cloth around it with pointy, sharp ends sticking out, so think that will keep it away, but will get another LNB, have seen them for less than $20, so best to have one on hand.

Thanks for all the input, I will probably do the pole this summer, so let me know what you think for pole heights.

oh, and about how long to start having trouble? Maybe the last 3 years(of the 13 I have had the dish mounted on the stump).

Last edited:
That is a tight window. Maybe a bit higher could clear a branch, but you will always have trouble with that many trees.

The higher you go the bigger the pipe has to be. You could put a triangle with guy wires at the top to stop the wind from twisting the dish but who wants guy wires in their back yard to mow around? You can go 250 ft in the air this way, but you will need a FCC license and lights every 50 ft. And the higher you go, the longer the cable between your dish and the receiver is, and it sounds like it is allready long.
My suggestion is to build a tower. Can you weld or have a friend that can? Get 3 20 ft 3/4 pieces of black pipe "Home Depot, Lowes, etc" and several 20 ft pieces of 3/8 rebar. Make a jig to bend the rebar. A couple 8 or 10 foot 2 x 4's would work fastened at least 2 ft apart on center with holes drilled for a peg to be inserted at each place to bend. Make 3 of them starting straight across, then 45 deg angle up, then straight across and repeat. The straight across ones make a ladder for you to climb up to work on your dish. If the steps are a little high, decrease the angle some but not any more than necessary. At least two foot needs to be in concrete, and a plate welded on the top with a 2 ft mounting pole will give you up to 20 ft in the air. If you want the full 20 ft, I would use 1 inch pipe and put a vertical piece of 3/8 rebar from the middle of the step down to the next web with a spacing of at least 30 in from pipe to pipe. The vertical piece is to make the step stiffer.
Dig a hole at least 2 ft deep and make a larger 4 inch pad on top of the ground with rebar in it, and going into the hole. The pad will save having such a big hole and make it easier to mow around. Paint and put something like tar on the part that will be in the concrete. Buy a keg of beer, invite your friends over, hide the tap until it is at least standing. :)

Carl

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)