Moving Directv Dish to a tall pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Also, remember that the sat signal comes in from a higher angle than what the dish looks like. The problem I see from your photo is that you may have trouble with 99 and 103 if you want to ever go HD. Is there any way that you can move further away from the trees? Otherwise the tower may be the solution.

Also, remember that the sat signal comes in from a higher angle than what the dish looks like. The problem I see from your photo is that you may have trouble with 99 and 103 if you want to ever go HD. Is there any way that you can move further away from the trees? Otherwise the tower may be the solution.

I mentioned the signal angle earlier. :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to write, CVarner. I appreciate your thoughts and it sounds like a great idea! The Stump is in the woods, so no lawn to mow back there, thank goodness. I like the tower idea, very ingenious, I am glad I asked, and even more glad you responded! Thanks again!

Thank you, everyone, I appreciate all your thoughts. I am afraid I am stuck in the spot that the dish is in now, and at least I have my signal back now, and have bought some time to think about this!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write, CVarner. I appreciate your thoughts and it sounds like a great idea! The Stump is in the woods, so no lawn to mow back there, thank goodness. I like the tower idea, very ingenious, I am glad I asked, and even more glad you responded! Thanks again!

If I had no other option than building a tower ............
I'm not sure what I would do exactly....

Is the D* installer going up there to work on the dish and change it out whenever needed ?

I would climb up there to change it out if needed, it would be a lot sturdier than the wiggly extension ladder I climbed up this morning to cut a big branch down. must have been 18-20' off the ground, and it was scary, but it's done. I took a few more pictures looking at the dish from about 50-60' away, they are in this album: [ame="http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/juliegnh/Satellite%20Dish/"]Satellite Dish pictures by juliegnh - Photobucket[/ame]

Judging from your pics would it be fair to say you have a clear shot if you added another 500+ feet to your run? Is there a clear shot/opening if you went farther out in front of the tree that is in low down and directly in front of the dish?

Many people seem quite reluctant to recommending a long run, but I have a 500 foot run at my parent's place to a window in the trees where they can get from 95* to 125*. They have 80+ signals with no inline amps on all sats--using quad shielded copper core RG6--high 70's on the KA band HD sats. I have heard of runs over 1000ft. with no issues if you use RG11. If you add inline amps every few hundred feet you can go farther (although I wouldn't mess with them if you can help it... want one LONG cable with *good* ends)

New cable and a longer run isn't cheap-- but I'd take that over having to deal with those trees in that hole... especially if you want HD--I don't think you can get 99* or 103* for HD unless you did a massive trim to make it a perfect opening, and maintain it every year.

I'd look for a clearing, even far out, that you can plunk a 5 foot pole and cement it in the ground. I used a vibratory plow to get 6 RG6 runs and 2 RG11 (for Wildblue internet) back to their house to protect it from the wildlife.

The joys of living in the country ;-)

--Nat

I would climb up there to change it out if needed, it would be a lot sturdier than the wiggly extension ladder I climbed up this morning to cut a big branch down. must have been 18-20' off the ground, and it was scary, but it's done. I took a few more pictures looking at the dish from about 50-60' away, they are in this album: Satellite Dish pictures by juliegnh - Photobucket

Judging from your pics would it be fair to say you have a clear shot if you added another 500+ feet to your run? Is there a clear shot/opening if you went farther out in front of the tree that is in low down and directly in front of the dish?

Many people seem quite reluctant to recommending a long run, but I have a 500 foot run at my parent's place to a window in the trees where they can get from 95* to 125*. They have 80+ signals with no inline amps on all sats--using quad shielded copper core RG6--high 70's on the KA band HD sats. I have heard of runs over 1000ft. with no issues if you use RG11. If you add inline amps every few hundred feet you can go farther (although I wouldn't mess with them if you can help it... want one LONG cable with *good* ends)

New cable and a longer run isn't cheap-- but I'd take that over having to deal with those trees in that hole... especially if you want HD--I don't think you can get 99* or 103* for HD unless you did a massive trim to make it a perfect opening, and maintain it every year.

I'd look for a clearing, even far out, that you can plunk a 5 foot pole and cement it in the ground. I used a vibratory plow to get 6 RG6 runs and 2 RG11 (for Wildblue internet) back to their house to protect it from the wildlife.

The joys of living in the country ;-)

--Nat

juliegnh,
In post 3 you mentioned that your currently 30-40 ft from the dish to the house.
If thats the case, how far would you have to go to get to a better clearing, 40 ft is no big deal. If you can find a clearer area with in 150-200 ft you should be good and even worth a try at longer distance, I would find a location, make up a piece of coax and try it and go from there.

If you are looking at the dish from the front, to the left(and a higher elevation) is dense forest and to the right(and a lower elevation) are wetlands. I am pretty much stuck where I am . At the time I had it installed, I thought ANYTHING was better than having to get cable. I am trying to keep from eating my words!

Picture is kinda misleading, they aren't really hanging over the dish - or they would have been the first and easiest to remove! I think that I will be trimming a lot this summer, so there is no question that anything I can reach will go. Haven't lost the signal since I got it back on Sunday, so that big branch I dropped, must have been the problem.

How ridiculous would it be to just drag a pallet and say 8 cinder blocks out there and mount that dish again. 4 for the ground and 4 to hold it down. Pallets can be gotten for free if you know where to look and blocks are like $1 a piece.

lol how hard would it be to move the stump :eek:

I think the stump is gonna move itself in a few years, it's starting to disintegrate.......got some shrooms on it this year for the first time! I really want to put something more permanent in. Kinda like putting Vinyl on the house - it's done!

Last edited:
I had my 5LNB/Slimline dish installed on a 6x6 pressure-treated wood post. I used a 12-foot 6x6 post with 4 feet in the ground (along with ~300 pounds of concrete) and the dish is mounted at the top. So, the dish is actually about 10 feet off the ground and is very stable (exposed post is 8 feet and the dish mounting hardware extends it higher up).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)