Moving from DirectTV to Charter

javahh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
After many years with D*, I have finally taken the plunge to change services. This decision was not taken lightly. We are moving to a condo that does not have a good southern view. And upon investigation, I have found that I could save approximately $500.00 per year combining Video with the internet. Going to do away with DSL and Bellsouth. What I would like to see is more involvement in the cable threads.

I'm moving back to E* after a 3 year move to charter. I only moved back to cable for the high speed Internet. the quality is awful, the channels are snowy and grainy I have complained to Charter and they say its not their fault its the broadcast channels that they are receiving are picked up like that.... bummer
I'm moving to another town and will have DSL so I'm going back to E*

Good Luck

Last edited:
Charter's package combining Phone, Internet, and Cable for about $100/month was about too good to pass up. About a month ago, I suspended my DirecTV account, packed away my DSL modem, and braced myself for Cable once again. So far, things have been tolerable.

My main gripes are:

1) They have already started, but Charter seems to be dragging their feet in implementing a digital simulcast of their analog lineup in the Greenville (SC) market. Once this happens, I believe I will be very satisfied from a picture quality standpoint.

2) Charter still does not have any DVRs available. From what I understand, there is a waitlist of about 700 people in this area.

For an almost $130/mo savings over what I was paying, I can exist with Charter for 12 months.

jc17981 said:
Charter's package combining Phone, Internet, and Cable for about $100/month was about too good to pass up. About a month ago, I suspended my DirecTV account, packed away my DSL modem, and braced myself for Cable once again. So far, things have been tolerable.

My main gripes are:

1) They have already started, but Charter seems to be dragging their feet in implementing a digital simulcast of their analog lineup in the Greenville (SC) market. Once this happens, I believe I will be very satisfied from a picture quality standpoint.

2) Charter still does not have any DVRs available. From what I understand, there is a waitlist of about 700 people in this area.

For an almost $130/mo savings over what I was paying, I can exist with Charter for 12 months.

JC,

I got the same deal up here in Asheville. So far the analog look fairly good, digital is very good, and HD is fantastic. Stable internet connection 3.0 service running about 2.7 same as DSL 3.0. HD in my opinion is much better on cable than D* was. I don't use the phoine, I have cell service.

One of the things I am happy with is the "quality" of the HD on Charter. (I never thought I would be equating quality & cable together -- LOL). But, I've read on AVSFORUM about pixelation and problematic reception on HD channels in other areas, and I've not noticed that on my Charter service.

(I posted this is the wrong thread... So I am posting it here).

I called Charter Yesterday to see about switching to them from Directv. I got an offer in the mail stating that I could get their "Bigger Value Package" and 3mb internet for $79.95 a month. I am currently paying $82 a month for Directv, and $20.00 for 3mb SBC DSL, (AT&T).

I have two receivers, (one a DVR, and one a HD Receiver). I have the Total Choice plus with Directv with locals, High Def, and HBO. So the "Bigger Value" Package with Charter is comparable. I would get Cinemax as well, and I could chose one more package from them included in that $79 price. So I could take Starz, or a sports, or family package.

Anyway. After telling her that I have a cable modem that I own, so I don't need to rent that, we started adding up the "other costs". To get their HD package is $9.99 more a month. To get a HD receiver that is a DVR is another $11.00 a month. To get a second receiver for our second Television so that we can receive the digital channels on it, is $6.99 a month. So now I am paying $107.93 a month. That is a little different than $79.95 a month. So then I asked about taxes. She said that the taxes add roughly $10.00 a month. So $117.93 a month! I pay $102 a month with Satellite and DSL! And that rate is steady... this charter price will go up after a year to about $140.00 a month according to their website. The deal is they will lock you into another discounted rate for 12 months after this promotional 12 month rate. But it is not as good as their promotional rate, and you cannot qualify for another promotional rate. Their "discounted" 12 month rate after promotional rate is better than their regular month to month rate though. Although not by much.

Satellite and DSL is still the way to go. I pay less and have a much better picture quality with satellite.

jc17981 said:
The main savings is with the telephone service.

Even if I were to cut my $50 a month phone service and go to a IP phone with charter or vonage, I would end up breaking even. Except, as I said before, after the first year promotional rate, you will not get the same 12 month rate... it will go up.

joedekock said:
Even if I were to cut my $50 a month phone service and go to a IP phone with charter or vonage, I would end up breaking even. Except, as I said before, after the first year promotional rate, you will not get the same 12 month rate... it will go up.

What it sounds like is that it costs you $70 a month jsut to be able to get the DSL. So with the $82 plus the $70 you are actually paying $150 a month. Look at the bottom line. Do you have a cell phone? Why pay for 2 services?

javahh said:
What it sounds like is that it costs you $70 a month jsut to be able to get the DSL. So with the $82 plus the $70 you are actually paying $150 a month. Look at the bottom line. Do you have a cell phone? Why pay for 2 services?

Charter Asheville now has FoxHD channel786

javahh said:

The point I was making was yes you Are right... I would save money for a year, and then have to go to charter's regular yearly discount package which would $150, plus the taxes. So in the long run, (unless you like switching your services every year), it is easier for me to stick with D*.

I do have a cell, it is a company phone, and I use it when I need to make long distance calls. But when I am home from work, unless I am on call... it sits on my counter turned off. I can't stand cell phones. I hate it that people talk on them in resteraunts, and while they drive. I find them annoying!

I had the Charter Telephone service, but was shocked to see that I used to pay $5-$6 in taxes and fees, then when I added telephone (which wasn't that great of a service), the taxes went to $27/mo. + $39.99---I disconnected mine!

jself1982 said:
I had the Charter Telephone service, but was shocked to see that I used to pay $5-$6 in taxes and fees, then when I added telephone (which wasn't that great of a service), the taxes went to $27/mo. + $39.99---I disconnected mine!

If you have cell service you don't need the phone service from Charter.

That's true
With everyone having a cell, many provided by work, seems now the only reason for a land line is dsl so your $20 dsl becomes $60.00 because you are duty bound to maintain a land line.

That's why we are rethinking our situation.

It's pretty well established that cable provides a better HD picture since the satellites use HD Lite.

We shall see what the future hold in these early days

That's true
With everyone having a cell, many provided by work, seems now the only reason for a land line is dsl so your $20 dsl becomes $60.00 because you are duty bound to maintain a land line.

That's why we are rethinking our situation.

It's pretty well established that cable provides a better HD picture since the satellites use HD Lite.

We shall see what the future hold in these early days

I understand that ATT is going to unbundle telephone from dsl. If this is true I will go back to Bell\ATT for internet. And with them getting ready for TV\Internet{ATT} maybe Charter's service will end in this household. What part of Asheville do you live in?

Well...here I am a year later, after going to Charter. My experience??? Well...I've already placed the order with Bellsouth/ATT to switch me back. I couldn't wait to ditch the TV service, so I have already reinitiated my DirecTV subscription. Once Charter got my Moxi DVR in here, and added all the associated fees, I ended up paying almost $160/mo to them. Now, Bellsouth has a comparable Internet & phone package which will cost me about $90/mo, plus my DirecTV (with $5 discount). So, even with a DVR and 4 tvs, I will end up paying about the same $160/mo -- just better quality TV. Of course, this is only meaningful to people, like me, who are anal about their picture quality, since the rest of my family seems to be fine with whatever quality picture is on.

Well...here I am a year later, after going to Charter. My experience??? Well...I've already placed the order with Bellsouth/ATT to switch me back. I couldn't wait to ditch the TV service, so I have already reinitiated my DirecTV subscription. Once Charter got my Moxi DVR in here, and added all the associated fees, I ended up paying almost $160/mo to them. Now, Bellsouth has a comparable Internet & phone package which will cost me about $90/mo, plus my DirecTV (with $5 discount). So, even with a DVR and 4 tvs, I will end up paying about the same $160/mo -- just better quality TV. Of course, this is only meaningful to people, like me, who are anal about their picture quality, since the rest of my family seems to be fine with whatever quality picture is on.

I am also here a year after switching to Charter. This month went from $99 to $150. So I have had to rethink the whole process. Ordered DSL 6.0 yesterday and going to "pick my bundle" from Charter. Thier internet service sucks anyway.

I just switched to Charter for everything. Not really missing anything except ESPN2 HD and NGC HD. But spending $81 total per month now (Biggest pack, Family&Info tier, HBO/Cinemax, Starz/Encore, HD Tier, HD receiver, 2 cable cards, 3mbit with free upgrade to 5mbit for a year) for everything I had on Dish except showtime and a few HD's. I cant say that I am upset. PQ on analogs here is as good or better than Dish SD, and the HD is much better. At the end of 1 year, if they jack the rates, or if I am unhappy with the service (or anytime before) I can always switch back. Maybe Verizon will go insane and install Fios here in the next year!

I just switched to Charter for everything. Not really missing anything except ESPN2 HD and NGC HD. But spending $81 total per month now (Biggest pack, Family&Info tier, HBO/Cinemax, Starz/Encore, HD Tier, HD receiver, 2 cable cards, 3mbit with free upgrade to 5mbit for a year) for everything I had on Dish except showtime and a few HD's. I cant say that I am upset. PQ on analogs here is as good or better than Dish SD, and the HD is much better. At the end of 1 year, if they jack the rates, or if I am unhappy with the service (or anytime before) I can always switch back. Maybe Verizon will go insane and install Fios here in the next year!

i am waiting for uverse from ATT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)