Moving from Hopper to Tivo

I'm with you, since I'm only doing OTA I don't need a lot of hours. The thing is there is little price difference between the 2tb and 3tb.

It runs around 450-550 depending on the station. 450 would be if the stations do not have subchannels and use most of their bandwidth. But, most cut the bit rate down so you get more recording time.

I have 3 Roamios, one with a 2TB one with a 3TB and putting 4TB in the new one. I tend to record everything that comes out on the networks. I let them accumulate and if the show is cancelled I delete it without watching. So, I end up with a huge number of recorded hours. The 2 TB is really too small. The system works for me since I can watch shows all summer long.

I've got 2 TB in my roamio OTA. We only record a half dozen shows we regularly watch. We have like 9 things on season pass, including stuff like Who's Line is it Anyway, which is summer only. Some shows get queued, we generally delete after watching. I have never seen the disc usage get even as high as 5% for us.

Mine were less than 10% before the fall season started. Up to 20 some % now. Hit 80+% before the end of the last TV season.

Mine should be here on Wed. I think I will miss the Hopper, but hopefully the Tivo will work out.

Make that Thursday. Best Buys's website said Wed. when I ordered, but apparently that was just optimistic thinking. As long as I am getting free shipping, I shouldn't complain, but it is a little annoying. None of my local stores had it in stock, otherwise I would have just picked it up myself.

Make that Thursday. Best Buys's website said Wed. when I ordered, but apparently that was just optimistic thinking. As long as I am getting free shipping, I shouldn't complain, but it is a little annoying. None of my local stores had it in stock, otherwise I would have just picked it up myself.

You didn't do the ebay discount code deal where you buy right from TiVo? My Roamio basic with lifetime was $457.94 plus the cost of the coupon (less than $30 but I am not supposed to say the real price).

You didn't do the ebay discount code deal where you buy right from TiVo? My Roamio basic with lifetime was $457.94 plus the cost of the coupon (less than $30 but I am not supposed to say the real price).

No, I ordered the Roamio OTA for $50 from BB. My wife could not be convinced of the value of the lifetime service. It is not because she does not understand the concepts, just that she does not trust me not to want to change to something else before we make our money back.

Reactions: Dan in VA
No, I ordered the Roamio OTA for $50 from BB. My wife could not be convinced of the value of the lifetime service. It is not because she does not understand the concepts, just that she does not trust me not to want to change to something else before we make our money back.

You have a month after ordering to convert to lifetime. You can find a good coupon code for a $100 discount on lifetime. Look at TIVO community.
What you and your wife are forgetting is that if you decide to change, a Roamio with lifetime will easily sell for $300-350. Look at the ebay listings to verify. So basically, you are not risking much if anything.

You have a month after ordering to convert to lifetime. You can find a good coupon code for a $100 discount on lifetime. Look at TIVO community.
What you and your wife are forgetting is that if you decide to change, a Roamio with lifetime will easily sell for $300-350. Look at the ebay listings to verify. So basically, you are not risking much if anything.
Not for OTA Roamio

There is no lifetime available on the OTA. At least not yet. We are aware of the resale value. We know it is the better deal on paper. The problem is the 27+ month time to recover the savings (versus $50 upfront and $15/month) exceeds the amount of time we've ever stuck with a cable or satellite package in the past. I would do the Basic with lifetime, but that was not an option she would consider. I will still be saving roughly $30/month versus what I am paying Dish now, so we are still ahead. It is what it is, and that's that.

Reactions: Dan in VA
Unit arrived today. BB's delivery estimate was a day too optimistic. :mad:

Will pick up a price-matched Mini on the way home from a local store.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Got things basically setup last night, although I am awaiting final activation on the Roamio. I realize it is a different scale, but all my channels come in solidly in the 70s on the Tivo, while they were 100 on my Hopper OTA module. Makes me wonder what other folks are seeing.

Got things basically setup last night, although I am awaiting final activation on the Roamio. I realize it is a different scale, but all my channels come in solidly in the 70s on the Tivo, while they were 100 on my Hopper OTA module. Makes me wonder what other folks are seeing.

I'd say that is normal. With my antenna I get the neighboring DMA (which I"m actually close to) at a full five bars on my TV, and at 85% on my AM21 connected to the DirecTV Genie. With it connected to my TiVo all the signals are around 65-70%. I think the signal strengths are lower on the TiVo because of the four tuners. So far the TiVo tuners have performed better for me than anything else I've tried.

Got things basically setup last night, although I am awaiting final activation on the Roamio.
what do you mean? If they activated it do a few force connections (connect to the internet and update). That will give you full access

I realize it is a different scale, but all my channels come in solidly in the 70s on the Tivo, while they were 100 on my Hopper OTA module. Makes me wonder what other folks are seeing.
yes. On my OTA roamio 72 seems to be what most stations show on the meter. On my series 3 it goes up to 100. I'm 2 miles from the towers :)
The roamio will lock at around 35 whereas I remember the Dish setup (I had a 211k and a DTV Pal) needed 63 or so

what do you mean? If they activated it do a few force connections (connect to the internet and update). That will give you full access

When I log into my account on Tivo.com, it say activation was pending on the Roamio. Forcing connections seemed to make no difference. Everything looks like it is active now though. The new Amazon app is pretty decent. Faster than a similar app on my Panasonic BD player.

I'd say that is normal. With my antenna I get the neighboring DMA (which I"m actually close to) at a full five bars on my TV, and at 85% on my AM21 connected to the DirecTV Genie. With it connected to my TiVo all the signals are around 65-70%. I think the signal strengths are lower on the TiVo because of the four tuners. So far the TiVo tuners have performed better for me than anything else I've tried.

Cool. Most stations are around 72, with a couple up at 74, so it sounds like I am getting a pretty good signal.