MOVING QUESTION

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delawareguy08

Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
Delaware
I have D*** right now but i was planning on switching to Direct, The question is this i live in Delaware and have moved there from New Jersey.

I miss my NYC locals, I'm 146 Miles from NYC that's a direct as the crow flies, If i moved would i get them?

I know on D*** i can't but are the beams different on Direct?

Any help would be great

You can get the big four and the rsns if you "move" since they are on CONUS beams. The other stations are on spot beams, but looking at the maps, you should get those, too.

I can't seem to find a recent spotbeam map, but according to what I could find, the spot that NYC is on basically encompasses Boston to Philly to DC, so it should be possible. But again this came from an old map and I'm not sure if things have been changed.

I can't seem to find a recent spotbeam map, but according to what I could find, the spot that NYC is on basically encompasses Boston to Philly to DC, so it should be possible. But again this came from an old map and I'm not sure if things have been changed.

There are many maps of the spot beams you can access by clicking on the SatMaps! link at the top of the page.

Ok ordered Direct as i was tired of Dish, I have 2 questions.

1. How long shall i wait until i move & does anyone know definitely if i would get NYC locals ? I'm 146 Miles from NYC that's a direct mile as the crow flies i'm on the Kent county/Sussex county line in Delaware. Need to make sure i get CW as my wife watches show on that channel all the time..

2. I've ordered the HD DVR does anyone know what box i will get and should ask for a certain one before install day?

Any help would be awesome.

1. How long shall i wait until i move & does anyone know definitely if i would get NYC locals ? I'm 146 Miles from NYC that's a direct mile as the crow flies i'm on the Kent county/Sussex county line in Delaware. Need to make sure i get CW as my wife watches show on that channel all the time..

2. I've ordered the HD DVR does anyone know what box i will get and should ask for a certain one before install day?

You can move right after your install, but you might want to wait a couple of days. Other posters would have a better idea I am sure. The Satmaps! shows that there should be a strong enough signal for you to get all of the NYC locals. There are no guarantees what model you will get unless you get it yourself from one of the online vendors like Solid Signal. If you are getting mrv with the install you are much more likely to get the HR24, which is the best one available for now.

new DE Man,

It won't go the way you want. The work order to connect your system will have a zip code and that will determine what local channels Directv is allowed (by the FCC) to provide to you.

They probably have the technical capability to do it but the feds control this stuff. Plus, I think the spot beams for lower DE are not the same as the ones for NYC.

Pretty sure about all this.

Joe

Check the Satmaps! link for NYC at the top of the page Joe. The spot beam for NYC goes to mid Virginia.

It won't go the way you want. The work order to connect your system will have a zip code and that will determine what local channels Directv is allowed (by the FCC) to provide to you.

When he calls in to "move" his address in a couple days to his "vacation house" AFTER the install, it WILL then - get it??? ;) ;)
(do a search on moving here, but surely you HAVE had subs do this before, no???)

Plus, I think the spot beams for lower DE are not the same as the ones for NYC.

Most likely all the NYC spots will reach his place - but if he moves & it doesn't, he calls back in & moves it back the way it was. ;) ;)

Hmmmmmm,

OK, I like it! He has to become a Directv customer first. THEN he can adjust his service location...That'll do it.

This is my first experience with someone on DelMarVa wanting NY locals. Mostly they want ch 6 out of Salisbury, MD because they carry the local school closings & weather. I think that has become available. Mostly what folks try to manipulate is Washington D.C. (Redskins), Philadelphia (Phillies) and Baltimore (Ravens). That the NY spot beams will cover DE is new news...never came up...my experiences are getting out of date.

Joe

Ok so i am set up to "Move", One question though if i do can i still be connected to the net for the on demand programs?

Or is that too risky?

Any help?

That's no problem. "IP ID" is usually wrong more than it's right. When I use 'location aware' websites that attempt to peg my location by my IP, they're usually way off. Sometimes they don't even get the right state.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)