Moving TN to SC alignment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clovett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
United States
I could pay for the move but what are my chances of moving my system? I installed all my own coax and sank my own mounting pole for the current system. I just don't know if I can align it.

If I move it what else do I need to take into consideration?

Can I move it and just pay for an alignment?

I could pay for the move but what are my chances of moving my system? I installed all my own coax and sank my own mounting pole for the current system. I just don't know if I can align it.

If I move it what else do I need to take into consideration?

Can I move it and just pay for an alignment?

:welcome Welcome to satellite Guys. If you have Directv,just have Directv move & set up services at your new residence for you. As the commercials say,you can also get upgraded to a Genie if you don't already have it.

Already have a Genie HR44. I sink my own pole because I do a better job of it. I run my own Belden 1694 inside the house and I sink the grounding rod. All Direct did was to run the cable in the PVC from the dish to the house and sit the dish on my pole. That is all I will allow them to do the second time. They are commercial installers on a time crunch, that allows me to do a much better job.

Already have a Genie HR44. I sink my own pole because I do a better job of it. I run my own Belden 1694 inside the house and I sink the grounding rod. All Direct did was to run the cable in the PVC from the dish to the house and sit the dish on my pole. That is all I will allow them to do the second time. They are commercial installers on a time crunch, that allows me to do a much better job.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with laying your own cable indoors & putting your receivers where you want them. The installer would appreciate you doing as much as possible to help him in advance & making his life easier. Just call D* & tell them you want to move,where you are moving,& pretty much what you'll already have set up by the time the installer gets there. It's all up to you to decide what you want to to & what you are able to do on your own. If you can set everything up on your own,then I guess that all you have to do is call D* & make sure everything is activated at your new residence afterwards.

clovett, to answer your original question, aligning a dish isn't that difficult, but it does take some precision adjustments. You are pointing at a satellite the size of a bus that's 22,500 miles away. You can look up the azimuth, elevation, and skew at www.dishpointer.com. If you have a smartphone then download the AR Satellite app. It will give you a good idea of where to point the dish. There are online videos that will walk you through the process on youtube.

Clovett,

As Chip said,
You Can do your own install, many of us do that.

Just make sure that where you want to put the pole has a clear line of site (D* wants usually 10* on each side of the Sats you need.)

Provided you have the correct equipment and patience ... You have the equipment already ...
Sounds like you have a SWM set up.
Don't forget your Power Insertor and your SWM splitter.

Less than 8 tuners, HR of course.
If more than that, theres a different set of circumstances involved.

I would give it a try, if you have questions or issues, come back here and we'll help if needed.

Btw, either do the install Before the move in date, or After, not on the day of.

Ok got my pole ordered from Solid Signal and will sink it when we close so the concrete will be nice and solid a week later. I think I can do the alignment and to help I'll be using two smart phones on video conference with one pointed at the TV for feedback. I still have to get some burial cable for the conduit with a ground wire and sink a grounding rod.

I'm using a slimline dish, a Genie HR44 with a client and have HD with HBO Cinemax and Stars. Anyone know what satellites do I need to aim at?

Never mind, it appears to be 99 and 103. Is there a way to see that and make sure inside my Genie? I plan on using the Dish setup data from Dishpointer and the compass settings on my phone using the GPS Status app for the rough alignment

Last edited:
What's your zip code? Just to make sure you don't need the 119 satellite....

His local sd channels are on 101 if I'm not mistaken, so the sl3 is all he needs.

I'm in 38301 right now and will be moving to 29349

my sat status is as follows

101 is at 97%
99(c) is at 93%
99(s) is at 84%
103(s) is at 85%
103(ca) is at 95%
103(cb) is at 95%

I pay for the monthly maintenance so after I get my billing changed I guess I would call them to get the local channels there? Plus my time zone changes I think.

I'm in 38301 right now and will be moving to 29349

my sat status is as follows

101 is at 97%
99(c) is at 93%
99(s) is at 84%
103(s) is at 85%
103(ca) is at 95%
103(cb) is at 95%

I pay for the monthly maintenance so after I get my billing changed I guess I would call them to get the local channels there? Plus my time zone changes I think.

You can change the Time Zone in the menus.

Thanks, I wondered how they did that

My pole came in today! YAY

The day of the move I'm taking the satellite dish off our pole. I realized I can keep my computer monitor that has HDMI input and practice the alignment rather than get there and try it for the first time. I'm pretty stoked at this point

I went out and looked and I have an SL3 single LNM dish.

Is that the dish I will need in Greenville SC?? I see some of them are 3 LNB

The sl3 has three lnbs inside the cover. That's the one you want as your local sd channels are on 101. It will also get your local hd channels.

Closed on our house and started working on the things that needed attention. They had not used their irrigation system for two years, but all fixed now. Freakin awesome!

I bought a 6 ft pole. However I could only bore/dig into the ground to 21 inches (hard like concrete red dirt). So I set it a little higher than I wanted and ordered two long braces for the pole. I'll auger down 21 inches and attach the stabilization poles which, I hope, should be enough to hold it in the wind. If not I guess can get a third brace.

OK I set it all up and have it aligned decently. But my TN locals do not work. Since I would like the major networks how do I get local spots?

Your local sd channels are on 101 transponder 4. Your hd locals are on 99s t 18, 103s t 17 and 103s 18. What are your signal levels on those satellites? Actually, give us the signal levels on all of the satellites and transponders.

20140602_220400.jpg
20140602_220333.jpg
20140602_215811.jpg
20140602_220400.jpg
20140602_220347.jpg
20140602_220333.jpg
20140602_220059.jpg
20140602_215811.jpg
20140602_215755.jpg
Your local sd channels are on 101 transponder 4. Your hd locals are on 99s t 18, 103s t 17 and 103s 18. What are your signal levels on those satellites? Actually, give us the signal levels on all of the satellites and transponders.

At least I must be close. Attached are screen shots of each one. This turned out to be more difficult than I had thought. Un-boxing a house isn't helping. I may have two in twice doing this on a phone is confusing

Good attempt but the dish is pretty far off by standards. If you wanna cheat the set a the Genie to sat 10 3a tp11 on signal meters and tweak that to 95. That should get you a lot closer to point. But without a meter you can't dither properly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)