Moving to Argentina HELP!!!!!! DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcktm423

Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
florida for now.
FIRST POST!!!!!!!!

I am going to move to Argentina and was wondering asomething if I take my American HD television will it work with the DTV service there? because of NTSC and PAL-N, i heard that DTV in Argentina broadcast in NTSC. Hopefully someone can help me.

I assume by DTV you mean Digital TV and not DirecTV, right?
For digital TV, Argentina would need to broadcast the ATSC standards.

I'll let others reply further.

I doubt that DirecTV is available in Argentina, too far south.
But, there may be a separate service down there.
However, to view shows on the DVR you would need an NTSC TV.

Maybe a Slingbox would help.

Last edited:
I would also assume that if it wasn't "illegal" for DirecTV to provide service in Canada that they could do it easily with their existing satellites or by buying space. We already know that creative folks can get service fairly far north as it is. It's not a technical issue as I think you can get DirecTV in Alaska which is obviously quite far north.

Last edited:
The thing that annoys me is that I go thru the whole trouble of bringing my NTSC/ATSC television and have it not work in argentina because they use PAL-Nc, but I've heard that DirecTV in South America also uses NTSC/ATSC. Though I don't know why they would, if the government is leaning towards another Digital TV format.

Had a bit of this problem in Germany and had two TV's. Local OTA was PAL but US Forces broadcast NTSC and my VHS obviously was NTSC. I dumped the PAL TV on an incoming guy when we got transferred back to the USA. I can't speak for satellite nowadays outside of the US so I can't say what standard they're using though it doesn't make sense to use NTSC/ATSC when the target country uses PAL.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)