Moving to new home - installation questions - existing dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
We are moving to a new home and there is an existing dish present with a very similar looking LNB to what I currently have where I am. The new home is about 3 miles from the present home.

Where I am currently, there are 4 cables coming down from the dish into a big switch split into 2 4 way green DTV splitters going to my receivers.

At the new house there is a single wire coming down from the dish into a green 4 way DTV splitter. Tap 1 goes to a power inserter and the other leg went to one of my receivers.

After it finished booting I got a 721 error.

My question is, does my receiver automatically detect the new wiring since it is somewhat different than at my current house?

When I spoke to DTV they said "Your receiver probably didn't detect a signal because the service address was incorrect on your account. It will probably work now that we have updated it." In any event they scheduled me for a service appointment.

The neighbor has DTV. However, there is a giant tree in the next yard over. I do not know how to tell if that tree is affecting my LOS or if it is something else.

Are these "plug-n-play" even if the wiring configuration has changed?

Is it probably alignment or LOS?

Thanks in advance.

A 721 error means you are tuned to a channel not in your programming package. Try a channel you are supposed to get. What are your signal levels on all of the satellites?

A 721 error means you are tuned to a channel not in your programming package. Try a channel you are supposed to get. What are your signal levels on all of the satellites?

I can try again, but it seems the receiver would not completely finish from first power up.

I can try again and see if I can get to a menu to see signal strength.

When I unplugged it, we were tuned to a channel in our package though.

I was having 721 error, ask directv to refresh your signal/receiver, that should solve the problem.

Just go to the satellite setup screen and see if it registers a signal.

As far as the LNB it probably supports 8 tuners.

If you have more than that then you can do up to 13 by switching the LNB.

If you need 14 or 16 tuners, then I suggest taking the old LNB and switch from your old house.

Thanks for the help.

I had to break out of the "Searching for signal" part of the setup and go into the menu and perform a 'Detect dish'.

Once I did this, the dish and LNB type changed and everything started coming in.

I'm pretty sure the other receivers will need the same steps.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
Yes, I must admit I thought you would have done that already. You have gone from a legacy setup to an SWM setup.

Yes you have a swm setup. The power inserter is the clincher. I assumed the receiver would self detect the swm signal.

Ok. I had one of these at the last house. Only difference was it was connected to a really big switch.

The receivers were connected to 2 splitters off this switch.

Yes, I must admit I thought you would have done that already. You have gone from a legacy setup to an SWM setup.
From the OP's previous descriptions at the old home of 4 lines feeding a multiswitch, which then feeds two 4-way "green" splitters. And all receivers there with only one coax line run to them.

The previous install must be a SWiM-16.

So the receiver should have been in SWiM mode already and detected the new SWiM LNB at the new home automatically on bootup. But I guess due to some quirk the OP had to go into the setup and initiate the auto-detect manually.

Reactions: raoul5788
You had a power inserter at the other house? That big switch was a swm switch then. Now you have a swm lnb instead.

Ok. I had one of these at the last house. Only difference was it was connected to a really big switch.

The receivers were connected to 2 splitters off this switch.
Yes your "big switch" at the old home is undoubtedly called a "SWiM-16 Multiswitch"

Fed by four lines from a legacy type 4 outlet LNB similar to the following ...
1a83bb6f1378b218b5fd315087d56bcf.jpg
a7eda5ed5a6776ebe812cd4c8dae5c9d.jpg

The thing is you'll still need a service call at the new home since the install there most likely won't be able to support all the receivers of the current installation at the old home.

The thing is you'll still need a service call at the new home since the install there most likely won't be able to support all the receivers of the current installation at the old home.

I now have 3.

At the time the SWiM 16 as I know it now was installed, we had 3 TiVo type DVR's that required 2 inputs per receiver.

That's how they installed it.

I now have 3.

At the time the SWiM 16 as I know it now was installed, we had 3 TiVo type DVR's that required 2 inputs per receiver.

That's how they installed it.
Are those THR22 type DIRECTV TIVOs?

And only 3 of those and they installed a SWiM-16?

Well that was wasteful of the installers ...

But anyway, if that's the case then the current install at the new home will suffice then. Though you may want a tech. to check out the install at the new home anyway to make sure the dish is peaked, changeout the old analog LNB for one of the new digital ones, place any new coax runs or check that the current runs are in good shape, etc.

If you have more than that then you can do up to 13 by switching the LNB.

If you need 14 or 16 tuners, then I suggest taking the old LNB and switch from your old house.

Like I say though ...

Kinda keep it down ok? ...

My 5D2RB LNB might overhear you and stop supporting up to 21 tuners because DIRECTV engineering "officially" says its only supposed to be up to 13.

(Using 17 tuners here presently for an HR54 Genie and 5 HR24s)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)