"Moving" your service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AC Lown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I would certainly like to have the locals from a nearby market rather than the one that I'm actually in (The other market has UPN, WB, and lots of local sports that aren't covered in my market)... I've heard people on here allude to the fact that it is "easy" to do. Can someone clue me in on just how to do this? Is it easy to change back if you want? If it's not something that is appropriate for this forum, please send me an email at Brad@ass-clown.xohost.com

Thanks

Unless you want locals from NY or LA you will have to make sure that you are in the spot beam for the market you want locals from. Where are you and what market do you want to get?

Moving Service

I'm in the Flint/Saginaw/Bay City (michigan) market, but I'd much rather have the locals from Detroit.

My understanding is that detroit locals are on satellite 101, transponder 20. Can you get signal strength from that transponder?

moving

yep.. I get tons of singal from all three satellites.

moving

oh, Oops..

I went and checked, and I get 98% signal strength on sat 101 transponder 20.

Then you can get detroit locals.
All you need to do is find an address in detroit to use as your "service address." Best way to do this is use a friends or relatives address. If you can't do that find any address and add an apt# to it. Call D* and tell them that you have moved your dish and receivers to your new place in detroit. You may need to unplug your receivers from the phone line so they don't know where you are, not sure about this. Give them "your new address" but tell them that you want to keep your billing address the same as it is now. Then tell them that since you have "moved" you want to get detroit locals instead of your old locals. After you have talked to d* you should go online and verify the changes on your account.

moving

I will probably try this.... Can anyone tell me if I can get in trouble for this? Since I just activated my D* within the past week, will it look suspicious? Also, if a few months go by and I hate not having my "real" locals, could I switch it back without looking like a crook?

Thanks for your help, dgordo :)

Much easier way is to just call DirecTV and tell them you need to change your address. Give them the new address including apt# in Detroit, you may also need the county that address is is. Thats ALL you need to do on the phone...don't make it too complicated.

Then go to your online account. Under the "My Account" link choose to update your info. There you can make a separate Billing address, which would be your actual address. And also go into the programming section and add the locals.

DirecTV almost makes this process too easy with their web-site.

If you decide you don't like the detroit locals all you have to do is call back and tell them you moved again. I really don't think they care as long as you don't come out and tell them that you are just pretending to move.

Status
Please reply by conversation.