"MOVING"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does Directv offer a locals only type package? Or what is the minimum service plan do you have to get to have their locals whether it be DNS or your actual local channels?

Last question, I am making the switch Monday to D* will I throw up a red flag or will it be dificult to "move" to Richmond the same day? If I call CSR will the catch this or are the like E* and look the other way? I really miss having HD locals...

i would wait a few weeks to "move" after install, you could do it sooner but i personally would wait.

Does Directv offer a locals only type package? Or what is the minimum service plan do you have to get to have their locals whether it be DNS or your actual local channels?

no, dish network does, the cheapest packag ewith directv is family with locals for $30, you can get international with locals for $10 plus whatever the international channels cost. no dns only locals either.

with dish you can get (sd only no hd) san fransico and atlanta abc,cbs,fox,nbc sd same address theory as with "moving" to an area with no locals and no ota reception.) from all american direct through your dish reciever and have no other programming.price for all 4 networks from both places is about $14.00 a month.

I can't believe this thread was allowed to stay open ... or am I incorrect that "moving" is a violation of the DIRECTV terms of service? If so then I understand why the thread was not locked ...

here at satelliteguys we discuss "moving" openly. There are hundreds of threads on moving. It's really not illegal in the way they will prosecute you if you do it, but they will turn off your locals and mark your account if are caught.

Alot of networks in areas like mine decline dns availability. I wrote both majors (cbs/nbc) here and they told me I could either put up an antenna or get cable to get locals that they couldn't grant my waiver. So for people like me (until i can install an antenna in the spring) my only choice is "moving".

here at satelliteguys we discuss "moving" openly. There are hundreds of threads on moving. It's really not illegal in the way they will prosecute you if you do it, but they will turn off your locals and mark your account if are caught.

Has anyone heard of this actually happening (getting caught that is)? I've been reading these (and other) forums for many years, and can't recall ever seeing a post that said they had been "busted" for moving. What kind of a "mark" would they put in your account?

Yeah, I'm in the middle of this right now. Moved up north to a major midwest city over a year ago and then had to move back the other night so that I could upgrade my receiver. We actually are moving (albeit only 5 miles from here) in the next few months so it doesn't pay to keep moving back and forth....I'll wait until preseason football is about to start and then move back to the major city. (And before someone jumps down my throat, the cities where we live and where we move to are both in the same team's home markets so it's not just for the football.)

are there any national HD cities (not on spotbeam) that are a part of the east coast or central time zone? those cities local stations have network programming starting at 5pm PST instead of 8pm PST

I believe New York is....and I believe I remember one of the Atlanta stations also being up on CONUS.

intersting, why would any atlanta stations be conus on directv,unless you consider tbs superstation an atlanta station. dish through all american direct does have the big 4 atlanta stations(sd only) conus

are there any national HD cities (not on spotbeam) that are a part of the east coast or central time zone? those cities local stations have network programming starting at 5pm PST instead of 8pm PST

on directv new york big 4 sd and hd (cbs,nbc,abc and fox) are for sure conus and cw washington dc (no hd) is as well

so really the options are to either
#1 -"move" to new york city dma and get only the big 4 if you are outside the spotbeam all the other nyc stations will show up but black and it will say "searching for signal"

or #2 "move" to an area in the eastern or central time zone where there are no locals through directv and no locals recievable via ota (discussed earlier in this thread) that way you quailify for dns feeds and will be able to get nyc big 4 hd and sd,cw washington dc, la big 4(sd only) and national pbs as well.this scenario works excellent for nfl sunday ticket because none of the games are blacked out,even if they are on nyc and la cbs and fox.dns feeds

option #1 is cheaper than #2 because you only pay $3 for locals vs option #2 it costs around $20 to recieve all those dns feeds but you get 6 extra channels (big 4 la sd dns feeds,cw washington dc and pbs)

Yeah, I'm in the middle of this right now. Moved up north to a major midwest city over a year ago and then had to move back the other night so that I could upgrade my receiver. We actually are moving (albeit only 5 miles from here) in the next few months so it doesn't pay to keep moving back and forth....I'll wait until preseason football is about to start and then move back to the major city. (And before someone jumps down my throat, the cities where we live and where we move to are both in the same team's home markets so it's not just for the football.)

ya, the chicgo spotbeam does get you alot of channels and the spotbeam is very strong,at least i know for sure the sd beam is,not sure exactly how strong the mpeg4 hd spotbeam is.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)