"moving"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jd1234

Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
USA
Is it hard to "move" with DirecTV. I just had it installed in my cabin and it is about 5 miles outside the local market of my main house. If I "move" it to my house (I don't have DTV there) can I just call in and say I moved, or are they going to insist on doing it for me?

Thanks

Last edited:
Just call in to change the service address. There was already a dish, you set it up, its all working perfectly fine and deny the service call.

Is it hard to "move" with DirecTV. I just had it installed in my cabin and it is about 5 miles outside the local market of my main house. If I "move" it to my house (I don't have DTV there) can I just call in and say I moved, or are they going to insist on doing it for me?

Thanks
Easy to do....you can even send them an email and request to have your service address changed.

very easy to do. Been there done that. Have moved with D I think 4 times now in 20 months. Each time took maybe 5 minutes to do.

lets see....started in Minneapolis
"moved" to Mankato (to get the only local in the market)
then "moved" to Duluth to get those locals (use to live there)
then moved back to Mpls to upgrade to HD
now I "moved" back to another spot in Mankato to keep my Mpls and get Mankato on sig viewed. Couldnt move to Duluth as they are on 119 and only have a 3LNB slimline setup.

and to even add another twist, I have a Dish account with "moved" Duluth locals...they're in HD, DIiectv isnt

My friend lives in Vermont and has no CW. There is a local CW on 44.2 (which of course is not on D*) that his gf watches via an antenna, but the PQ is horrible. Windham County, VT is in the Boston DMA which has CW HD, but also has the Burlington/Plattsburgh DMA channels. Would they just make up an address in Windham County and say they live there now? If I ever find my way there, could I just use the same address with an apt. 1 or something added on?
Dish has the superstation pack (at least they did several years ago when I had them). It would be nice if Directv had those channels, too!

Good point Iceberg, How you did it by a rep calling or by mail?

very easy to do. Been there done that. Have moved with D I think 4 times now in 20 months. Each time took maybe 5 minutes to do.

lets see....started in Minneapolis
"moved" to Mankato (to get the only local in the market)
then "moved" to Duluth to get those locals (use to live there)
then moved back to Mpls to upgrade to HD
now I "moved" back to another spot in Mankato to keep my Mpls and get Mankato on sig viewed. Couldnt move to Duluth as they are on 119 and only have a 3LNB slimline setup.

and to even add another twist, I have a Dish account with "moved" Duluth locals...they're in HD, DIiectv isnt

I just called in and told them I "moved" and there was already a dish there. Everything is hooked up and working but the locals do not seem to work.

the less info you give them the better

When I moved back for the HD upgrade I played dumb and said "what address you have on file" and when they gave me the "moved one" I was like "oh thats my old address I need to move it to the billing address" (which was the house) ;)

How do you pick the address you move to? Does it have to be real? Should you befriend someone in the "move" area and use their address?

Couple ways to do it
If you have a friend in that area just use their address but change it slightly. Example...buddy has an address of 820 ___________ St. I just changed it to 822 :)
Otherwise find real estate sites and pick a house...and do what I did above (change it slightly)

The address has to be slightly legit. You cant use 123 main st (unless its legit)

I would also suggest making sure that you are set up for paperless so no mail is sent to the wrong address.

Couple ways to do it
If you have a friend in that area just use their address but change it slightly. Example...buddy has an address of 820 ___________ St. I just changed it to 822 :)
Otherwise find real estate sites and pick a house...and do what I did above (change it slightly)

The address has to be slightly legit. You cant use 123 main st (unless its legit)

Or find a mobile home park or apartment complex. Thats what I have used.

you have to be within the spotbeam which is usually 150 miles max

LA Big 4 nets are on CONUS (for folks who use them as distants) but the rest is on spotbeam

Anyone know of an updated spot beam map? I "moved"from erie PA to Columbus oh and I do not receive locals in hd. I think it's a dish pointing problem, as in some parts of the day they come in and some they don't. Anyways I'm looking to "move" where I might get a better signal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)